Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In December, it's likely I'll have to drive from Wisconsin to Oklahoma to pick up my daughter and bring her home from college (she'll be abroad second semester, most everything has to come home).

XDTalk's TJ lives in OKC, and if circumstances work properly, we'll have a bite to eat and maybe even if things work out, a trip to the range (I rate this probability at 50/50, depending on how quickly *I* need to be back here to finish the semester).

Anyway, if it looks like it'll work, I'll try to bring my XD and AR down for our trip to the range.

QUESTION: Are there any specific rules for traveling w/ guns state to state? What about bringing ammo along (I'm reloading, so is TJ, it seems a natural I'd bring some along).

The vehicle is a minivan, so there's no way to do the "lock it in the trunk" thing. I suppose I can find a lockbox or something to store it in.

Are there any specific laws that prohibit this kind of thing? I'll be driving through Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Or is it likely to be a case-by-case thing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
if by chance, you're traveling through Arkansas, we have a "journey law" where if you're on a trip or "journey" like you will be, then you are covered even if you don't have a CCL, but it is a compact state that will recognize CCL's from other states in the compact.

·
Premium Member
37,680 Posts
I'm a cop in Oklahoma and as long as the weapons are in the back of the van where you can't get them you will be ok in Oklahoma. Unless you run in to a A$$$hole or drive in Illinois if you have them in a area where you can not get to the weapons easily you should be ok.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
There is a Federal law that protects you while traveling (yes, even in NYC and Illinois).

It's called FOPA.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
As long as they're cased and unloaded, I'd think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
OK Handguns unloaded in passenger compartment
Magazine loaded rifles in exterior compartment or in trunk

Missouri Loaded handguns may be carried anywhere
Loaded rifles in plain view

Kansas Loaded in plain view or in vehicle storage compartment

Iowa Handguns unloaded and not accessible
Rifles unloaded and cased

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Keep the ammo and guns seperate. Keep both locked. And you should be fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, you stole your avatar from the same place I stole mine. :razz:

If in Illinois, stear clear of Chicago area and you'll be ok. Last month I drove with my buddies through downtown Chicago w/ 5 handguns in the car on the way back from an IDPA match in Michigan. The flooding closed I-80. No big deal.

A little know fact is that Mayor Daly is too cheap to have CPD patrol the interstate highways in Chicago. The Illinois State Police does it all, and they typically don't cower to the Chicago Democratic machine.

Have a safe & pleasant trip.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For your handgun in KS, if you don't have a CCH, you can keep it contained in the glovebox or console as long as you keep the ammo locked up separately.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Do you have a roof container you could use? Ammo in the van, guns on the roof. All problems solved.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts