Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a similar topic started a month or so ago about a travel kit, but I want to specifically focus on TSA approved items that could be checked. I'll feel a lot better knowing I always have something with me on vacations.

Would any of these items I have so far be a problem if checked? These all go into a $1 dollar bag I bought in the travel section of Target.

-Storm proof matches from Emergency Essentials
-Birthday trick candles
-Sewing needles
-Emergency whistle
-Paracord bracelet
-Steri Strips
-Different size band aids
-Flint
-Cotton ball
-2 thick rubber bands
-Razor blade for box cutter
-Streamlight penlight
-Leatherman Wave
-N95 mask
-Fenix LD20
-Petzl headlamp

What other items could I add? I welcome any and all suggestions! Thanks!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
You're joking, right ?

Add a few hand grenades to the kit :rolleyes:

As checked items, I don't see much of a problem with these ... So add some underwear and socks to the list.

How about a gun ... They can be checked through with your luggage, they just have to meet specific requirements.

So could a big knife, and many other things ... Heck most of what you might want in a BOB could be packed and checked as part of your luggage, without any special requirements.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like a lot, but it's not heavy at all. Most except for the lights and the Wave fit in a small Bear Grylls survival kit bag I emptied out. I take a similar pocket kit on hikes.

I've carried a multi-tool on vacations ever since I was a kid and it's come in handy many times. Same with flashlights, although one of those would probably due.

I started thinking about a kit while discussing an upcoming vacation tonight. I'd rather not go away again without having something with me. There is just way too much going on.

My concerns with TSA was mainly with fire starters.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
It sounds like a lot, but it's not heavy at all. Most except for the lights and the Wave fit in a small Bear Grylls survival kit bag I emptied out. I take a similar pocket kit on hikes.

I've carried a multi-tool on vacations ever since I was a kid and it's come in handy many times. Same with flashlights, although one of those would probably due.

I started thinking about a kit while discussing an upcoming vacation tonight. I'd rather not go away again without having something with me. There is just way too much going on.

My concerns with TSA was mainly with fire starters.
If it's in your checked baggage, it's not really gonna matter ... Don't pack a flame thrower, though.

Or when you mentioned checked,
Did you mean TSA checking your carry on items ?

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
assume this is intended as a carry-on

I'd leave out the matches and self starting candle...and it should be obvious the razor blades are a no go.

I see you have flint as a fire starter. maybe add some steel wool

how many different lights do you need in a quick and dirty kit?

I'd also add a pack of dental floss to go with the sewing needles (that may or may not pass, look it up on TSA's sight) or skip the needles all together

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going to be checked under the plane. Since they x-ray the checked bags now my main concern was if they would want to remove something they saw as flammable (lighter, etc).

I do think 3 flashlight devices is a lot, so I'll probably stick to a headlamp and the penlight since they take the same batteries. I've used a flashlight numerous times on trips and it's come in handy. I could envision a headlamp doing the same.

The floss is a great idea for the needles, thank you.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
It's going to be checked under the plane. Since they x-ray the checked bags now my main concern was if they would want to remove something they saw as flammable (lighter, etc).

I do think 3 flashlight devices is a lot, so I'll probably stick to a headlamp and the penlight since they take the same batteries. I've used a flashlight numerous times on trips and it's come in handy. I could envision a headlamp doing the same.

The floss is a great idea for the needles, thank you.
Then more or less take whatever you want ... If they think you have a bomb, they'll pull your bag, open it, discover it's not, and put it back on the plane ... No flammable liquids, obviously, but the last time I flew (1 year ago), you could carry a disposable lighter on the plane.

Verifying if that is possible now, should be a quick phone call away.

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
This kit is so close to being carry-on-able, just make the couple of minor adjustments. Should the SHTF, you can be damned sure your luggage wont be were you can get to it.

Toss a Zippo, Leatherman and maybe a stone in you checked luggage to round it out.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I always laugh when I see people prepared for the zombie apocalypse with their carry on. Ever been dropped off at one end of the airport with 20 min? to get to the other. A pair clean underwear, two pairs of socks, and a good book are all you need. You get through the line fast, and you can move quickly.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
127,714 Posts
I always laugh when I see people prepared for the zombie apocalypse with their carry on.

Cut the man some slack. Maybe he will have a layover in Detroit. ;)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not preparing for zombies, but if I have a kit for my car, one for hikes, and my BOB for my house why not have one that's always in my luggage/carry on?

Thanks for those who told me I wouldn't have to worry about what I pack. Are there any other useful things you would throw in a carry on or checked bag?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts