Springfield XD Forum banner

How far do you travel to work each day (to the shop if you're a contractor)?

• 0-5 miles (I work at home or I only have a 10 minute or less comute)

• 5-15 miles (Not too far from home)

• 15+-25 miles (I have a decent commute)

• >25 miles (I live far from my workplace)

• >40 miles (I'm crazy or I get paid a lot)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure nobody has ever done this poll I was just curious because I have a longish commute to work. I travel approximately 30 miles each day to the office and possibly as much as 40 miles depending on what part of the city i'm working in.

ETA: my commute is approximately 45 minutes to an hour depending on traffic

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
My office is in my house, but I can travel upwards of 86miles (my most in one day) just for work. On average it's about 30 miles a day just for my work. i just jacked up my mileage charge to my customers to $00.60 per mile. My van gets about 10-12 mpg.

Job I had back in the 80's I traveled anywhere from 200 to about 400 miles per day. It did get boring sometimes, but now I miss it, I love to drive. People can only comunicate via sign language telling me I am number one when I drive. A lot of people think I am number one, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like I am loved or something. :roll:

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Small town everything is less than 5 miles from home. Well execpt the Mall and WalMart. Mall is 155 miles, WalMart is 65 miles.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Since I am in the chemical biz, we have to be near the Houston Ship Channel - no getting around it. The schools and neighborhoods around the channel are piss poor and the school systems are awful, so I live far away up north and west of the channel. Bad thing...I have a 40 mile commute, but its on the east side of Houston, which is not as congested as the west side.

I'll put up with the drive, to keep my daughter in a better public school and to live in a better neighborhood. Besides, I have three cars and two are 4 cylinder Volvos - known for high mileage running and long life. My first Volvo 240 had 345,000 miles on it when I sold it...whew...lots of mileage, but they'll take it.

I only use the Tundra for weekends and hauling and working at the family ranch - I could not afford the gas on commuting in a V-8 pick-up everyday!

Yes, its a long commute, but I cannot make htis kind of money anywhere else and hopefully, I will retire at 55-60 anyways.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
My commute is 16 miles each way. They just opened a new section of highway that eliminated the jam at three major intersections with fly overs...cut about 15-20 minutes off of a 50 minute commute.

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
For my primary job, my commute takes up to 30 minutes, but it's only 13 miles from my apartment. It's just the crazy traffic and traffic lights (and road construction!) around here.

For my side job, luckily I own my own business, so I work at home in the evenings.

I feel for those who have a long commute. I used to work in Mt Laurel, NJ, and that was an hour drive on a good day. Ugh!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Probably 2 miles away, and I ride my bicycle in most days.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Just over 27 miles parked to parked. The longest commute in my working career of 40 years (if you don't count bicycling to the filling station and the farm before I got my driver's license.)

I actually had a longer commute, time wise, up in IL, but that was crazy traffic because it was only 25 miles, and took an hour to an hour and a quarter.

Closest before that was 23 miles, which took about 20 minutes because most of it was on high speed highway.

I had the pleasure of 15 years of being close enough to walk to work in a pinch. OF course for most of those years I was a telephone man and drove lots of miles per day on the job.

·
Registered
141 Posts
4.1 miles there, 4.3 miles return. On an average day it takes about 6 minutes, tops. 10 if there's heavy traffic and I miss a couple of lights.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
.8 miles from apartment to parking spot at school.

·
Registered
782 Posts
About 30-35 miles, but luckily I am able to work from home most of the time so I don't have to drive to the office.

·
Registered
347 Posts
About 50 feet, down the hall and through the library.

Of course, if I have to go out to a client site it's usually 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
338 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek:
You mean you guys all work? I thought you all got paid to shoot and buy XDs for a living.

LOL

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Gadget said:
You mean you guys all work? I thought you all got paid to shoot and buy XDs for a living.

LOL
Dont I wish. Id be ALOT better. A LOT!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
14 miles each way but then I drive alot meeting with customers and such, plus I get a company vehicle and gas card. What are high gas prices??? :wink:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
O miles. I'm retired. Ha, Ha. I do get paid to shoot my XD and other guns.

Prior to the above, I was in a car pool. I drove 18 miles to meet the other 2, then we drove the remaining 36 miles into Los Angeles. I drove 2-3 days a week. Prior to the car pool, I drove the 108 miles myself-30,000 miles/year. My diesel gets 20 miles/gal on the fwy at 70-75. Of course, since I would never break the law (are you reading this Vampire?), I only drove 65 and got 22mpg.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Gadget said:

LOL
Where Do I apply for That I would drive 5-600 or even move. :shock:
Walk 10 ft to work use to drive thirty miles rural road took40 minutes in the summer hour + for winter really sucked :x

1 - 20 of 28 Posts