Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys,
Second outing to the range and I can't seem to shake the low and left issue. I realize I'm going to need some 'basic' training. I checked out the NRA website, but there are no classes in my area. Closest one is a few hours away. Are there any other training classes that you would recommend for a beginner? I'm in the Cincinnati area.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YouTube - Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting.
Todd Jarret on pistol shooting 2

Have you tried pressing the trigger all the way back for each shot? How is your sight picture? Have you tried dry firing practice?
I really like this video! I think I understand more about my problem. The low left placement made me think that my trigger pull was the issue and perhaps I was anticipating the recoil as well. I like Todd's explanation of how the trigger pull should work, no breaking of the knuckle where the finger meets the hand. I'll also review the placement of my supporting hand.

Any tips on how to steady the gun at full arm extension? I'm working on not allowing my wrist to break. Guess I just need to work out the muscles in my wrist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
An unsteady sight picture could be caused by many things. I would say what I've noticed most about people who just started shooting a pistol is that they grip the pistol too tightly (a death grip if you will). Normally I just tell them to relax a little bit but make sure they have a firm grip on the handgun. But without knowing other variables, it's hard to say. Many factors will make your sight picture unsteady, your breathing and heart rate are one of the major factors.

As for breaking of the wrist. I just rotate my support wrist and that eliminated the problem for me.

Here's another video. It's about pressing the trigger. I couldn't find a better one. But the basic is to press the trigger all the way to the rear after the trigger breaks, rather than just pressing the trigger until it breaks, then resetting without bringing the trigger all the way to the rear.

YMMV. Best thing to do is find out what works best for you.

Pressing the Trigger

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can someone explain "tightening fingers"???
Best way I can explain tightening fingers is when your trigger finger is pressing/squeezing the trigger to the rear, your other fingers (on both hands) are mimicking your trigger finger and is pressing/squeezing as well. Doing this exerts pressure and throwing off your aim. It usually happens when you're not gripping the pistol tight enough.

It is synonymous with "milking." More information can be found in the link posted by VR4.

Edited: added more video links.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts