Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this whole thing. Got my 1st pistol in early Feb, have since bought a couple more, took an AZ CCW class and a fundamentals of shooting class. Other than that it's been what I've learned on here, Guntalk, videos online (learn a lot of what not to do there as well). I do alright on paper targets with weekly trips to the range.

I just got back from defensive handgun training class and I'm really glad I did. It was two eight hour days. Class size was 13 people with 3 teachers, one main guy and two helpers. They were professional, friendly, & very watchful.

It gave me the opportunity to do things I haven't really been able to do. ie: moving & shooting, close quaters (arm's length away) shooting, shooting from behind cover, team & individual competions. There were also holster draw, trigger control & malfunction drills.

Beyond needing to practice what I learned, I came away with three thoughts: 1)Anybody who hasn't done this really should. 2)I have more confidence in my abilities. 3)This is just the tip of the iceberg, There's so much more to learn.

About thought one, it wasn't that expensive....$250 and it was local. The local part is a living in Arizona bonus, I'm sure. Going to the range is necessary, but this was an experience I can't get there.

As an aside, my XDM .40 performed flawlessly. There were dust devils blowing up quite a bit of sand today, yesterday was well over 90. Went through about 500 rounds. This brings it to right around 3000 rounds with one jam and that happened the 1st time i shot it with my left hand...I'm a righty.

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah man, it's like the motorcycle bug. Hard to get rid of and why would you. Had it for 27 years now.

My brother thinks the gun thing is funny and wonders where I've been for for the last few decades. He's into guns. I sold him his 1st bike.

Picked up un XDM .45, a .357 6" S&W 686 plus, sig p226 E2, (the last 2 my wife bought. She usually practices w/.38 in the .357 and is diggin' the Sig.) a Maverick 88, and because ammo is costly a Henry Arms lever action .22 and a Ruger Mark III 45/22.

The training will be an ongoing thing. For Sure.

Speaking of MrsE and the Sig. I got her an hour one on one session with one of the teachers from the range. I was in the next booth I only saw her target. She had to listen to him...She went from beginning w/10" groups to 3" consistantly at the end. The .357, well she's quite natrual with that :D

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Congrats. It's amazing to find out how much you didn't know once you take a good class. I had been shooting handguns for almost 15 years before I took my first class and discovered that I didn't know squat about how to properly shoot a pistol.

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!
It was quite an eyeopener. Isn't it funny how a few simple things can make a big difference?
Thanks for your story, hopefully folks will see the moral. :D

·
Premium Member
14,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah i cant afford any more flu's lol things sound great in MrE world!!!!:p guess only question is whats gonna be the next purchase. Love your first 3 selections...
layz
When life is good, it is Good. It hasn't always been, nor will it always be. But, right now? Yeah, it is.

Next purchases will be more training for both of us. We've agreed enough weapons for a while. Let's get real good with these first. I definitely will use the same outfit in the OP again.

Though I did see an M1 Garand at a gun show that made me feverish. Now, what the hell would I need that for. (except the obvious impending zombpocalypse.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts