Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of getting my CCW permit and plan on carrying my XD when my family and I day hike trails or go camping. I would prefer to carry concealed. I have an XD 40 w/ 4" barrel. Any suggestions on a good holster for this activity. Most likely to wear shorts with a belt and a light shirt or jacket.

I know that I could carry open but would rather carry concealed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was also planning on going on a 5 day trek in So. Ind. in may and wanted to take my xd. But I THINK, that it is illegal to carry concealed in state parks. I have found nothing about open carry which i would still do. I know you can carry during hunting season but still open only. But if XD is just tossed in a pack sidepocket...not the best place, but better than a DNR guy catching me with it concealed on my person. i just need to get off my ass and call DNR and find out the facts. God im lazy. Im just more concerned about predators than BGs. There has been cougar sightings in the area im going as well as coyotes. Im going on a 50 mile trail that is totally unpopulated so id rather have a gun with since it will be miles and miles to any phone.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why no concealed carry in state parks? I heard someone else mention this but don't understand the logic behind it. I can walk through a populated town with a concealed pistol and my CCW permit. But I can't carry it in the woods? What sense does that make?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
if you have an Indiana permit....you can carry on-your-person in any way you feel needy
State Parks do not apply to a state wide permit

DNR people don't have badges either......

·
Registered
61 Posts
Last time I was there, Sothern Indiana was just crawling with two-legged drugdealers, meth-makers and other vermin.

I'd carry, legally or not.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
there's certain safety zones where guns aren't suppose to be permitted, but if they can't see it, they wont know it

·
Registered
52 Posts
I love doing free advertising....

Worth every penny, the Tucker Answer is a very very comfortable holster. I can wear it for 8-10 hrs, lots of walking, not really know it's there. Believe me, sometimes you do get what you pay for. Nothing but a big piece of suede rubbing on you, no pressure points or edges. They're now available through www.pistol-gear.com

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
any experience with the Hume holsters they seem more affordable.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have a Hume "open top" holster for mine.....I love it so far, but the only problem I have found is that if you put your belt on too tight....the weapon is hard to reholster since it'll flatten out against your side kinda
I'm a big guy, and gotta pull my belt a little tighter than usual to hold my gut in :wink:
damn cheap beer!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I hiked all over Southern Utah last Summer with mine in a FIST #1 IWB holster. Being that it was over 100 degrees out, the leather sucked up a lot of sweat, and I had my first experience with rust. It came off pretty easily. I was comfortable, and my hippie father in law never once noticed I was carrying until I brought it up back at camp later in the trip. I think OWB might do better if your a big sweaty guy like I am. I'm going to lunch on Friday with a group of guys from the THR forum, and one of them is a holster maker. I might pick his brain and see what he offers and at what prices.

·
Registered
260 Posts
PA1749 said:
I am in the process of getting my CCW permit and plan on carrying my XD when my family and I day hike trails or go camping. I would prefer to carry concealed.
I know that I could carry open but would rather carry concealed.
I've toyed with the idea of carrying while backpacking or day hiking. I think it would be wise to have a CCW permit to cover all the bases. NO question then whether a weapon was concealed or not.

Although we have too many mountain lions and a few black bears in the Bighorn mountains I think the biggest danger is from 2 legged weirdos. You never know when you'll come across a meth lab or a pot farm or just a garden variety weirdo. In fact, last year, they did bust a meth lab a few miles west of my house where I had hiked a couple of times. A few years ago before I moved here a father and son who were camping were killed at their campsite and their truck stolen.

I do have some concerns about mountain lions. I've had tracks in my backyard and there are frequent sightings in this area and several have been shot in the last few years within 2-10 miles of my house. What I've learned from those whose judgement I trust, the chance of defending against a M.L. are pretty slim. They stalk and generally attack from the rear, going for the neck while all of their claws are going to work on other areas of your body. Chances are, you'll never see them coming. But, if I'm going to get munched, I think I'd like the chance to "put some hurt" on the cat before I expire. Also, when hiking with other people, there's a chance you might be able to help out in case of an attack. I'd hate to think about shooting a cat who was on somebody, though.

WyoBob

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
InspectorNugger said:
You guys ever seen or heard of this?

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/pr...id/18?osCsid=f543fe8fe890fddcd7284f7788cd1e78

I've been thinking about one of these for hiking, etc. as well. Its supposed to be able to strap right onto a backpack or belt. The demo video looks pretty cool too. Seems like secure padding for a handgun, but fast and easy access when needed.
Kinda interesting looking, I wish you would buy one so you could give us a report. 8)

The only problem I have is strapping this thing to a pack or to a seatbelt. I've had to ditch my pack in a hurry, which would mean ditching the firearm also. Same for getting out of your car fast. Would you have time to untangle this thing from your seatbelt?

I believe if your gonna carry a gun you need to have it attached to your body in some way.

This SafePacker mentioned an optional shoulder strap, which could be the answer to whoever was looking for a "house holster" recently.

It looks like it could be useful under the right circumstances.

bd

·
Registered
224 Posts
bd,

I think I'm going to get one of these in the next few weeks so I'll post a range report or something when I've had a chance to try it out.

I agree with that keeping it attached to your body is a good idea. From what I've read about the SafePacker, you can attach this thing right to your belt on your pants if you want to wear it like a regular holster, or to a backpack or backpack belt or with a shoulder strap, etc. It seemed to me like this thing could be attached just about anywhere you wanted it. Unless I have a small daypack on, I couldn't see wearing your gun in a holster under a larger backpack's waistbelt. Not only would it dig into your side, but I don't know how fast you could access it. I guess I'm thinking in the mindset more of backpacking with a larger pack for multiple days with a lot of weight. I wonder how it attaches to a belt? If it's some type of velcro flap/loop contraption, maybe you could just pull it off your belt as a "quick detach" method or something. I may give those guys a call for more info.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, in Pennsylvania, it is 'illegal' to carry in State Parks. But, it is a pretty minor offense (up to $300 fine and/or up to 90 days in jail - though I doubt you'd be looking at jail time)

Also, if they can't see it, what's the harm? If I were going hiking in the Poconos, I would probably be carrying too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I do a lot of day hikes, camping, and backpacking. I find there are several good ways to carry a pistol.

Although you said you don't want to open carry, I find that a cheap Fobus paddle holster is very comfortable for long periods. I honestly believe that most people never notice I'm carrying on the trail.

Second best is a fanny pack made for carrying a pistol. Mine is an Anderson Enterprises and it works great, but there are many good brands out there. Any color other than black helps disguise it, and putting a patch on the front also helps deflect interest. On a trail or in camp I don't think a fanny pack is out of place.

For IWB carry, the Comp-Tac CTAC is a superb holster. It is very comfortable and well made.

A gun inside your pack is a bad idea because you just will not have time to retrieve it in an emergency.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Best outdoor concealment holster I have seen is the Wilderness Safepacker. hands down. It conceals and protects it. I carry my guns in one on my pack. no one even thinks that is what is in there. It would take someone who knows exactly what a wilderness safepacker is in order to know you have a gun in there. it simply looks like an accessory pouch that a hiker might have hanging off ones pack. I can take my pack off with it on there and not fear it backing into rocks or what have you.

IIRC, it was designed by backcountry police that needed to have a gun, but when scrambling over rocks they found that in short order their guns would have no finish and get dented on rocks and so on.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts