Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. two options with pros and cons and a final compromise.

option 1:
XD 45 compact
pros: favorite pistol to shoot (fits my hand perfectly etc)
larger caliber = more stopping power/defense reliability

neutral: being 5 foot 6 inches and 120 lbs means carrying it on my
body may not work, if the kholster or similar holster doesn't work i would end up carrying in a messenger bag or 5.11 tactical's select carry bag (here's a link)
Select Carry Sling Pack | Concealed Carry Bags & Backpacks | 5.11 Tactical

cons: may not be constantly on me
harder to conceal (CAN NOT be seen at work, would scare my
very liberal customers)
larger caliber can mean more collateral damage behind target
larger gun = easier to take and harder to un-holster

option 2:
Kahr PM9
pros: small size makes multiple carry options feasible, including pocket
or ankle carry (would ALWAYS be on me)
smaller caliber decreases potential damage to property and
people behind an attacker
rated for +P (minimizes debate about effectiveness)
one holster set up makes practicing of drawing much easier

cons: smaller caliber opens up debate for 45 vs 9 mm (no one doubts
the 45)
training to respond with lethal force (the gun on my person vs in
a bag immediately seems like it
could result in legal trouble (worth it though?)
smaller capacity (need for follow up rounds seems to be debated
though)
smaller gun means harder to grip and shoot

compromise: bag carrying the xd is more acceptable with kimber's pepper blaster in my front right pocket (my "quick draw" is down to 1 sec at most) and can work as a compromise until I get the kahr later down the road (i eventually want both anyway)

thoughts? Opinions? preferences?

thank you for your time and energy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to mention, bag carry's biggest con in my mind is the inability to ensure that no one else can get it before me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm 6'1" and 220lb and I stopped carrying my XD9 once I purchased my Kahr CW9. The Kahr is an absolute joy to carry.
I'm not into the whole caliber debate. Carry what you shoot well. You could do alot of damage with a bazooka, but that doesn't mean you should try to figure out how to conceal it. In my opinion, its all about shot placement. A few well placed 9mm will stop a threat. I suppose a few poorly placed .45 will also work, but that's not what I want to work for me.
Carrying for me is all about consistency. Carry in the same place every single day. I don't get people that carry strong side hip one day, shoulder holster the next, then small of back another day. Carry consistently. Know where your gun is, and draw it as efficiently as possible with lots of practice. If that day ever comes, you don't want to grab at your waist and realize the gun is somewhere else.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
One of the Kahr models in a 9 or a 40. I own a PM9 and think it's a very nice quality made, reliable,accurate pistol for it's size. It certainly has one of the smoothest triggers for a DAO pistol that I've ever felt. Only draw back is they are a little pricey. IMO well worth it though.

It has pretty much put my XD9sc on the shelf as a CC pistol. I have a friend who wants to buy my XD9sc for more than the GS will give me for it in trade.
I never thought I'd ever say this but I'm giving it some serious thought.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Which one do you shoot better, especially under stress? If it's the larger pistol, modify your form of dress to better conceal it--in other words, dress around the gun...and practice drawing while dressed as you do for work using your carry holster...

As for the .45 doing collateral damage--sure, when you miss. Put your rounds on target, and as long as you are using a premium, LE-oriented JHP, the chance of overpenetration is minimal. Remember--underpentration with any caliber is not a good thing.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you are familiar with the xd 45c and have serious doubts about the 9mm I would say stick with your 45. I carry an xd SC 40 in a crossbreed supertuck. I would recommend ordering one for your 45, you will find no lack of support of crossbreed on here. Almost everyone has one and every one loves them.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks all for the replies, as far as which i shoot better, i haven't shot any kahrs, but i've shot an xd40 as well as an xdm9, i love the feel of the xd (as well as the two safeties) and the kahr is the nicest handeling small gun i've dealt with (I've put 500 rounds through my buddy's lcp, it works but i would rather get a gun i enjoy shooting that also gets the job done)

i agree that shot placement is key and pretty much negates the caliber debate, but i honestly don't know which of the two i will be more accurate with, i'm a decent shot (1000+ rounds through various pistols, all on target up to 20 yards) and I will be practicing enough that I'm not concerned about one being more accurate than the other... agh.... which one which one.... on a side note: props to my wife for putting up with my constant thinking out loud about which gun to get first....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts