Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a couple nicks in some places, and have thought I'd try touching them up.
Has anybody used the "touch up" pens made by Birchwood Casey?
I was curious as to which would be the best match to the XD....they have blue and black.
However is dark blue kinda black anyways?
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did the black color match correctly?
That's what I was kinda worried about...not getting the right color. I'd be mad at myself if I've got different colored places :wink:

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nothing is going to match EXACTLY but on the scratch that I have it worked OK. As you know these things aren't exactly true black. Once I applied it, I then wiped off the area where I "colored outside the line", leaving it just in the scratch. It's not permanent-permanent like real bluing is, you can remove it with alcohol WHILE IT"S STILL DAMP if you don't like it. I'd try the Sharpie first, you can always remove it with acetone or alcohol after it has already dried. Buff it a little after you apply it, then repeat. Try a small spot first.
------
I just retouched this scratch again, here's pictures. This is wth the Birchwood Casey Flat Black touchup pen. It will look more and less obvious depending on the light angle. Photographed under bright light and a little overexposed. Normal room light you might not even notice. Hope this helps.

Before buffing.

After Buffing

·
Registered
85 Posts
FatMatt1981 said:
I've got a couple nicks in some places, and have thought I'd try touching them up.
Has anybody used the "touch up" pens made by Birchwood Casey?
I was curious as to which would be the best match to the XD....they have blue and black.
However is dark blue kinda black anyways?
Thanks for the help
The Birchwood Casey Presto Gun Blue Pen is actually like a regular metal blueing process, so it will look like the regular finish on a blued pistol. I use it all the time, it's great. I put it on for a few seconds and then I wipe it off with a wet paper towel.

Their black pens are nothing more than a magic marker!

Here are the MSDS: http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/msds.asp

·
Registered
889 Posts
I never had much luck with them, I tryed the blue, and the black one for alum. on an aAr15, and didn't think much of them, but thats just me. Dosen't cost much to try. If you want something that works great for blueing you could try 44/40 cold blueing from Brownells ( www.brownells.com ). All you do is rub it in wait a couple min and wipe off. I have used it for about ten years, but I don't know how close it will match an XD, I will try it on my take down lever where I wore the finish off, and see how it looks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts