Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good black touch up paint or paint stick to cover scratches on a receiver? Hopefully something that will blend in with the rest of the receiver instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Thanks

RS

·
Registered
582 Posts
Is the receiver blued? I've never used it, but Birchwood Casey makes a touch up material called Perma Blue Liquid Gun Blue. Maybe someone else here has used it and can give you some idea of its performance.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Birchwood/Casey makes 2 kinds of black touch up pens too.Flat black and glossy black.They work okay for small areas, and seem to be pretty durable.You may have to feather it with a finger tip to make it blend right though.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've heard a few people say use a black sharpie. Never tried it so I don't know the outcome. Why are you worried about a few scratches anyways?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've used BC Aluma-black with good success on various aluminum things.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Birchwood casey super black FLAT paint pen.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for help fellas.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Only one scratch on the receiver? Take that thing out and throw it in a gravel pile and scuff it around a bit...that'll add a few more 'character' marks and you won't worry about making repairs! :p

Honestly, I've heard of folks using a sharpie to cover up.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I've used Sharpie on an XD before....couldn't tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only one scratch on the receiver? Take that thing out and throw it in a gravel pile and scuff it around a bit...that'll add a few more 'character' marks and you won't worry about making repairs! :p

To be honest, I haven't had an opportunity to scratch it yet. All I've done so far is sight it in and shoot around 150-200 rounds at the farm. The scratch came from the first owner and because of that I got a really nice deal at the gun shop. I believe what happened is the previous owner screwed the collapsible stock tube in so far that it mashed the detent and spring, then when he went to break it down the buffer shot out and scratched the upper, or hit him in face and he dropped it :lol: Whatever the case may be, I just want to touch it up now so that all future scratches and wear belongs to me. Yeah, I'm selfish like that :D

This AR-10 was somewhat of a "gunsmith special" in that it was not in working order when I purchased it. Since my older brother had a Colt, I kind of knew how the parts worked together. I broke it down at the gunshop and noticed the detent was mashed so I talked the gunshop owner out of (citing the bolt wouldn't lock back and it wanted to "fall apart") an ATN Reddot, exta mag and some ammo to go along with the $300 he dropped off the price because of the scratches. Apparently this guy knew less about the platform than I did. When I got home, I called Armalite and explained the situation. They sent me all the parts I need to get it in working order, free of charge! Three days later I had the parts and a working rifle.

Since then, I've added a Magpul UBR and Armalite ALOSTYR quad rail. I've also named her 'Itchy' due to the scratches.

As for the gun shop, I've been back and quizzed him about the XD. I've come to the conclusion he doesn't know jack **** about guns which makes me wonder how his father handed him the keys to the business. I suppose that is a good thing when it comes to purchasing from there, but I'll definitely have to know any and all info about a weapon before buying from him because he'll be no help at all.

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
Perfect!
The guy probably got hit in the face after it scratched the receiver...:p
Sounds like you got a great deal on a great gun...now cover that dudes scratch up and take it out and beat it up yourself! :cool:

You know, I'd love to have a beater AR...one that I would be inclined to take a can of Krylon to to cover up any field damage done to it! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
53 Posts

So Flo, you are funny! Lol, I guess if you shoot it a bit it will have a lot of character!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
I've heard a few people say use a black sharpie. Never tried it so I don't know the outcome.
Sharpies tend towards the purplish-blue... not a great match.
Birchwood casey super black FLAT paint pen.
I've used the BC paint pen before... good coverage and easy to use. May not be a perfect match as far as sheen goes, best used on compound corners and such. Anything short of a feathered-in refinish will be noticable on a large flat surface like a magwell or a slide.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
What type of finish would xdman put on? Is it the same or better than the stock finish? Just wondering.
I think he does cerakote finishes. The last couple years he has done them forum forum members, most likely at a finiancial loss to himself, just because he wants to help.

Do a search for his posts at that time the last couple years for exact details of what he's done in the past, his web site is listed in the forum (sorry using my phone right now) so you can look at his services all year.

Most members have paid full price for his services and been happy with his work.

The XD finish has never been all that great, in the past rust was a big issue. They seem to have slowed that down but at the end if the day a cheap gun isn't supposed to be a musium piece. But if it bothers you, people like James (XDMan) are in business to fix it.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
thehinge nailed it and thank you. Be sure to scrub out and dry the scratches or dings with acetone IMMEDIATELY before applying the aluminuminumm black with a Q Tip cotton swab. The cleaned bright aluminum will quickly react with the oxygen in the air and oxidize. The aluminum black can be used for lots of things with the AR15.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thehinge nailed it and thank you. Be sure to scrub out and dry the scratches or dings with acetone IMMEDIATELY before applying the aluminuminumm black with a Q Tip cotton swab. The cleaned bright aluminum will quickly react with the oxygen in the air and oxidize. The aluminum black can be used for lots of things with the AR15.
Is the aluminum black available at Brownells? Also, how is the shelf life? I could use some stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Yes, or used to be. Probably years, One small bottle will go a very long way. I used it to touch up builds years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts