Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've decided the only way I can afford my habbit is to roll my own.

My dad has a RCBS rockchucker "set" that if I remember right uncluded a scale, press, case trimmer....? I'll have to see what else. What else would I need to get started. I'd love to upgrade to a dillon or something like that but for now I have to at least learn on something!

So basically what do I need to know to get started? Obviously I'll read the books that are with it but I was wondering if you guys had any advice or wisdom to share with a total newbie.

Also can you suggest primers/powder that works well for both 9mm and .40?

I don't think their is a tumbler so I'll probably do the hand washing thing and lay them in the sun to dry. any other tips on cleaning brass without a tumbler?

If anyone has an basic loading data for 9mm or .40 that I could use as a starting point that would be good too.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
For cleaning brass try a gallon of hot water, dishwashing soap and a 1/2 or 1/4 cup of vinager. If your just starting out with reloading try using some slow burning powder like Bluedot or Universal once you get the hang of it then move on to faster burning powder saves money. It's too easy to double charge with fast powder when your starting out. Check out the powder websites they all have free loading data.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Thier are many places to buy cleaned brass I bought 1500 rounds of 40 cal nickle on ebay with shipping for 19.00
You must have Cailpers Digital or analog if you no how to read them.
Powder scale
I use winchester primers [dillon reccomended them]
Univesal clays made by hodgdon 19.00/pound
I have the speer 13 if you need some load data let me know and I will post some

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Get a good, modern load book and you should be able to find several powders that you can use in both 9mm and 40.

Wear shooting glasses to protect your eyes and take your time when reloading.

After you have put powder inside of your cases, take a flashlight and double check that you have charged all the cases visually.

Get some reloading blocks so you can keep your shells all in order.

Buy a low cost tumbler and save youself some hassle of using different methods.

www.midwayusa.com when I reloaded, they were my source for all my needs.

Don't forget, reloading doesn't really save you money, it just keeps you shooting more.

I use Wolf ammo and don't reload at all. I still can if I want to, but I havn't reloaded in years.

Good luck, be safe 8)

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm using wolf right now and I've gone through 800 rounds in under 3 weeks. So I need to figure out a way to afford more shooting :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
RE: 9mm reloads. About the best i could do buying used brass, and cheap fmj bullets was about $115/1000 rnds. If you keep your eyes open you can occassionally buy ammo for less than $120/1000 rnds. I don't even think about buying 9mm. Check MidwayUSA for specials or Ammo Direct. Good shooting!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts