Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't want to sound like a retard, but what's the difference between .45 GAP and .45 ACP? If i'm not mistaken, the .45 GAP is already available, is there that much difference between the two? BTW, i'm looking around for a subbie now, yall were right. Anyone got any good buys?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Jumbo said:
I don't want to sound like a retard, but what's the difference between .45 GAP and .45 ACP? If i'm not mistaken, the .45 GAP is already available, is there that much difference between the two? BTW, i'm looking around for a subbie now, yall were right. Anyone got any good buys?
Im not a reloading or ammo junkie so I'll keep it simple for you and myself :)

.45 GAP = .45 Glock Automatic Pistol
.45 ACP = .45 Automatic Colt Pistol

.45GAP was produced by Glock to market their new line of glocks that would be chambered in .45gap. It is a scaled down version of the .45ACP, so now you can have more rounds in the magazine compared to a .45ACP.

When it comes to ballistics, thats another discussion. I honestly dont know and dont care, they both will do great :)

But, you have to practice with what you will carry and .45GAP is alot more expensive then .45ACP that is one factor right now I think that is really dimming the light on the .45GAP.

Anyone got any ballistical data?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
.45GAP - High pressure round (At highest pressure allowable, I understand) that duplicates almost exactly the standard .45ACP load in a smaller frame, allowing .45ACP power in 9mm/.40 framed guns with little or no additional changes to the firearm.

.45ACP - Low pressure round that has room to breathe for custom higher-pressure loads. Can be pushed to more energy than the .45GAP. Larger case capacity means larger OAL, which means larger grip, longer action, and in general, a bigger gun. Requires redesigning the firearm (As in the case of the XD45ACP) if it was originally designed for 9mm/.40/etc...

Not sure the hangup on .45......

·
Registered
104 Posts
Above is correct.

My 2cents would be that 45GAP = NEW therefore unproven in the market in terms of longevity and reliability (new rounds can have problems -- look at the early factory 40S&W ammo and current 460S&W Magnum).

Also cost per round is generally high and harder to find.

45ACP = a proven classic available at any sporting goods store.

If you are looking for a compact the 45GAP is going to be your better bet since it fits into existing 9/40 sized pistols. It also is ballistically identical to the 45.

For 45 fans (myself included) I won't even look at the 45GAP until it has been in the market for at least 10 years. Heck, I just bought my first 40 last year :)

There is nothing wrong with the 45GAP (hey, its still shoots a 165-230grain bullet)...but I am definitely considering an XD45!

Good luck!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for clearing that up, guys. So they're the same size? I'm not a huge fan of .45's (my first gun was a ruger .45 that i could'nt hit the broad side of a barn with, and jammed at least once every 2 clips), i was just wondering what all the fuss was about. I'll stick with my xd 40, now looking for a subbie. Anyone got one for sale cheap?????

·
Registered
459 Posts
Also, the .45 GAP is the same actual bullet as the .45ACP. The big difference is the case. The .45GAP is a shorter cartridge than the .45ACP. If I am wrong someone correct me.

Tombo

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
As shown with the XD-LE, the .45GAP cartridge opens up some options for gun manufacturers and purchasers as it allows a .45 to be packaged in frames designed for double-stack 9mm and .40S&W. My only problem with it is coming across the occasional .45GAP case when reloading .45ACP (although to date I have always noticed it prior to going into the first die). I suppose that I'll eventually come across a 10mm case when loading .40S&W :lol:
Since I already own three guns chambered in .45ACP (and reload), I have no real interest in .45GAP, but then again, I hold no real animosity toward it either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts