Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was shopping at my local Cabela's looking to change my carry load for my XDsc .40 since my current carry load is laughed at by many people on this forum. I decided to pick up some Federal HST 180 grain loads and hopefully make this my new carry load to replace the Critical Duty loads that apparently bounce off of the bad guys... :)

While I was shopping I found a couple boxes of ammo that really made me laugh at the total absurdity. It is Liberty Ammunition Civil Defense. The bullet is a lead free, probably all copper, 60 grain load. Yes you read that right 60 grains in a .40 S&W case. The claimed velocity is 2000 fps. I also found some 9mm loads with a 50 grain bullet that also claim around 2000 fps. Apparently it is designed to act a frag. grenade when it hits flesh. There was a picture on the back of the box that showed it acting like the RIP 9mm load where the bullet just blows apart in the gel block. I took a couple of pictures just to share on here. I think I will stick with a proven bullet in the 165-180 grain range... I immediately called this a total gimmick round.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Good job on the HST... I carry those in all my 40 and 45s...

You can get them in bulk at SGAmmo.com if you cant find them in the stores!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Your Critical Duty rounds are not nearly as bad as Hornady's Critical Defects.

kypix

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
wow...a 60gr bullet in a .40 is a horrible idea! Some of these companies think they can change the laws of physics...Gimmick Round indeed...

I will stick with my Speer Gold Dots or Remington Golden Sabres...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got to talking to a guy while I was there who said he had some of this ammo in .45 acp. I forget what grain of bullet he said it was but I would guess around 70-75 since the 9mm version is 50 grains and the .40 is 60 grains. He said he had shoot some across a chrono and averaged 1950 fps. He did say it was a flat shooting round but that ot was much louder than normal .45 loads. No kidding Sherlock you are pushing a pistol round supersonic out of a pistol. It is going to be loud.

BTW the hollow point cavity on the HSTs that I picked up for my .40 is outrageously huge. It looks like a mini cannon itself. I like the looks of them, now to see how they work in my XDsc. Hopefully these will become my new carry load.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I got to talking to a guy while I was there who said he had some of this ammo in .45 acp. I forget what grain of bullet he said it was but I would guess around 70-75 since the 9mm version is 50 grains and the .40 is 60 grains. He said he had shoot some across a chrono and averaged 1950 fps. He did say it was a flat shooting round but that ot was much louder than normal .45 loads. No kidding Sherlock you are pushing a pistol round supersonic out of a pistol. It is going to be loud.

BTW the hollow point cavity on the HSTs that I picked up for my .40 is outrageously huge. It looks like a mini cannon itself. I like the looks of them, now to see how they work in my XDsc. Hopefully these will become my new carry load.

we call HST in 45 Flying Ashtrays for a reason ;) good choice sir...

·
Registered
83 Posts
No kidding Sherlock you are pushing a pistol round supersonic out of a pistol. It is going to be loud.
Hmm... Little penetration, loud report. Maybe they're trying to scare 'em to death?

BTW the hollow point cavity on the HSTs that I picked up for my .40 is outrageously huge. It looks like a mini cannon itself.
The short barrel Gold Dots are like that.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
My buddy is relatively new to cc, and he stopped by my office a few weeks ago to show me his new Glock 22, loaded with that ammo. I asked him why he was carrying that, and he said because "the guy at the gun shop said he heard it was good ammo."

I proceeded to pull out my spare mag loaded with HST's (.45 for my Glock 30s). He left and went to another LGS and picked up some real ammo :lol:

If I could find some locally I would buy a box to try it out and see what it did/didn't do.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my Critical Duty in much the same way. I had heard some questions about Critical Defense and thought that the load for police would fix those questions. After joining on here I started having doubts about my chosen carry load. I don't have access or the funds to test my carry loads like TNoutdoors or Hickok 45 of YouTube fame. All I can do is fire them on an indoor range to make sure that they function in my guns. After reading many posts about the Speer Gold dots and Federal HSTs I decided to go shopping and compare prices... I choose the HSTs and like them so far.

The gimmick round made me lol in Cabela's so I decided to share the fun. I am sure they would make a watermelon look spectacular with high speed cameras.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hello everyone, i have recently bought my self a armscor 9mm,, clone of a CZ28. not the first time i have ever used a gun, but i am new to reloading. i have bought my self, 500 empty shells without the old primers on them. my Q. is can i tumbler them without the primer???. 2ND. Q. is i have 400 teflon coated heads 125gr that i'm going to use, what the correct powder gr to use ??. if anyone could help me out.. thanks..

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
hello everyone, i have recently bought my self a armscor 9mm,, clone of a CZ28. not the first time i have ever used a gun, but i am new to reloading. i have bought my self, 500 empty shells without the old primers on them. my Q. is can i tumbler them without the primer???. 2ND. Q. is i have 400 teflon coated heads 125gr that i'm going to use, what the correct powder gr to use ??. if anyone could help me out.. thanks..
This should really be it's own thread...

A1: yes you can tumble without spent primers.

A2: First, we need to know who made the bullets. Secondly, we need to know what powder you plan to use. MOREOVER, this is information that is commonly found in basic reloading manuals, which is something you should already have a few editions of.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I am sure they would make a watermelon look spectacular with high speed cameras.
Hmmmmm :mrgreen: I like fruit. I like guns. Sounds like a great combination!

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
The OR legislature will be considering banning lead ammo soon. Some local (indoor) ranges already require shooters to buy thier range ammo AT the range...no lead and expensive. This stuff, the all copper "Critical Defense" -type junk may be all that OR shooters will have access to if hizzonor the Guv gets his way. I encourage letters and emails to the OR state Fun House in opposition to this nonsense. Don't bother with guv Kitzhaber...its his bill. Although he IS running for reelection, so maybe it COULD help...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
The OR legislature will be considering banning lead ammo soon. Some local (indoor) ranges already require shooters to buy thier range ammo AT the range...no lead and expensive. This stuff, the all copper "Critical Defense" -type junk may be all that OR shooters will have access to if hizzonor the Guv gets his way. I encourage letters and emails to the OR state Fun House in opposition to this nonsense. Don't bother with guv Kitzhaber...its his bill. Although he IS running for reelection, so maybe it COULD help...
I give this about a 0.000001% chance of ever being anything but re-election hot air from a soon-to-be replaced Governor....its nearly unenforceable, kills local commerce, inconveniences everyone including law enforcement and endangers tens of thousands of lives by force-feeding inferior ammunition....

by all means, write letters/emails...contact your local Firearms Coalition and the NRA...

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I think the idea behind this round and similar is to maximize the kinetic energy dump, opposed to getting a lot of penetration to puncture vitals.

I forget the name of the goat tests that the US army sponsored, but they seemed to support this idea. Read up on it and decide for yourself. I still like HSTs and Gold Dots and Ranger Ts.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts