Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've decided that I would like to do a detailed disassembly of my XD or at least the slide and maybe the frame too if all goes well with the slide. I've looked at ajames' site with the instructions for detailed disassembly and I'm pretty confident that I can do it, but the part I'm not so sure about is tools. The Safety and Required Tools section on ajames' site isn't much help. I know I could go through his instructions and make a list of everything that I will need, but I was wondering if there is a kit or something that includes all, or at least most, of the things that I will need. I'm new to the gun hobby so if a kit has parts that I won't need for disassembling my XD but has parts that are commonly used on other guns, then that is fine.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

jonas

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
Personally I'm a big fan of if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think if you were truly interested in this project you would be more than willing to make a list of tools needed off James website. Are you willing to go look for the springs or other very small parts that may very well go flying across the room? Are you a patient person? Are you willing to wait forever for parts you lose because they may be on Springfield's do not sell list? Are you mechanically inclined? There's a lot more to it than a toolkit. I'm not against anyone learning to do this if they have enough confidence. If you decide to do it I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i haven't really taken a close look, but i bet most of the things you need are specific sized punches. I've found (in other applications than guns...) often an allen wrench will fit almost perfectly and is much easier to obtain.

I too would like to do a total strip of mine... even though I don't need to AT ALL... I just love takin stuff apart..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've thought all that through and I'm confident and proceding. I'd be pissed if I lost a part and couldn't get a replacement from Springfield, so I plan on being extra careful, especially around the springs. I have the patience and mechanical intuition to get it done, but I've worked on enough things to know that the proper tools can drastically cut the amount of time a job takes. I will go through Jame's tutorial and make a list of the parts if necessary, but if someone would recommend a kit then it would save me the trouble of wandering up and down the aisles of a hardware store trying to find the parts after I make a list.

Mostly I'm doing this to gain a better understanding of how everything works and give it a little cleaning while I'm at it.

jonas

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I have done many Detail Strips of my XD SC 9mm.

I use a lot of different things to take it apart.

Allen Wrenches.
Jewelers screwdrivers.
Needle Nose Pliers.
A Dental Pick.
Tweezers.

I do most of the work with the xd in a cardboard box covered with Plastic wrap over the open part and two wholes cut in the plastic wrap so I can put my arms in the box. I do this in case a spring decides to try and fly away.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BUG. Good idea with the box, I'll keep that in mind. Where would one acquire a dental pick and jewelers screwdrivers?

Thanks.

jonas

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I call them Jewelers Screwdrivers, but are sold at most hardware stores....just ask for a set of really small screwdrivers.

Lots of Medical Supply places sell dental picks.

Yes and 3/32 punch is a good tool to have. I have a whole set and have used various sizes.

It really is not that hard to do.

Call James if you have any questions, he has help many people with the procedure over the phone.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Dental picks can be had every where local parts store hardware and tool trucks .The main things small screw driver ,Hammer ,Punch

Note I would not recommend removing the mag catch
Real night mare to get back in.

I think Rich uses a pen to disassemble the slide back cap

Another tip if you remove the grip safety be careful Lining up the spring mine is a little shorter know because I sheared the end off.
Yes SA is selling me a new spring

Frame pins are retained on the right side so out(Push) right in(INstall) left.
After you do it once you will be a pro

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I use a clear plastic bag when dissasembling the slide.. the plastic over a box is a good idea too.. Whatever you do... use something to keep those springs from flying away!! (I have many hours on my hands and knees looking for springs.. so you can take my word for it.)

Also, a 3/32 punch is a must. You will also need a larger punch when removing the take down lever.

I have never removed the extractor.. that is what you are going to need the dental pick I think.. I hear that is a real pain.

Good luck! (And tell AJames I said "hi" when you call him.)

Raymond

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I use a clear plastic bag when dissasembling the slide.. the plastic over a box is a good idea too.. Whatever you do... use something to keep those springs from flying away!! (I have many hours on my hands and knees looking for springs.. so you can take my word for it.)

Also, a 3/32 punch is a must. You will also need a larger punch when removing the take down lever.

I have never removed the extractor.. that is what you are going to need the dental pick I think.. I hear that is a real pain.

Good luck! (And tell AJames I said "hi" when you call him.)

Raymond
Ray why do you punch the take down All you have to do is twist it backward and it slides right out :shock:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Because that is what the instructions say...

Picture courtesy of HS2000.com

Raymond

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info. Especially the vote of confidence from Ray. :lol:

I don't know when I'll get a chance to do it, but I'll let you know how things go.

jonas

·
Registered
135 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
I have done many Detail Strips of my XD SC 9mm.

I do most of the work with the xd in a cardboard box covered with Plastic wrap over the open part and two wholes cut in the plastic wrap so I can put my arms in the box. I do this in case a spring decides to try and fly away.
That's funny. 8)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the adventure begins...

I got off work a little early today so I decided to swing by Lowe's on my way home. I found a set of small screwdrivers and a set of picks fairly easily then began walking the aisle looking for a set of brass punches. After walkings every aisle in the tool section several times, the closest thing I saw were some nail sets. I went to the register and asked the lady there if she happened to know where I could find brass punches. I did my best to explain to her and two other ladies there what a punch was used for and finally someone called someone up and I was directed back over by the where I had seen the nail sets and found a couple sets of punches on the bottom shelf, but they were all steel. Back at the register the girl asked me what I need the punches for and I'm not really too sure what she thought when I told her that I was going to use them to take apart a gun.

But all this to ask: Where can I find brass punches? Should I try a different hardware store? A gunstore?

Thanks.

jonas

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
he he he... I am really curious how this project is going. I am only laughing, because I have been there.

It's not really that hard to do, once you have done it a couple of times. I hope Jonas has some pictures!!!

Raymond

·
Registered
130 Posts
I picked up a Lyman brass punch set (specifically used for firearms) and brass hammer from Sportsmans warehouse...if you have one close to you...go and see. If not, Google "Lyman Punch Set" ok hold on....

here you go:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=761422

Holy crap...jump on this deal man...it comes with a wood case too...nice to set your slide on when taking apart.

happy online shopping

Edit for confusing sentence :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts