Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tools are needed to assemble a lower, considering one has a receiver, parts kit, and stock?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
buy a pivot pin installation tool. Or make one, it's just a piece of brass or aluminum the same diameter as the pivot pin with a hole in it the size of the detent. You can do it without the tool but it makes things a lot easier and you say the F word a lot less.

Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

they have one there but you can probably pick them up anywhere.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
buy a pivot pin installation tool. Or make one, it's just a piece of brass or aluminum the same diameter as the pivot pin with a hole in it the size of the detent. You can do it without the tool but it makes things a lot easier and you say the F word a lot less.

Welcome to Model 1 Sales' Online Order Center

they have one there but you can probably pick them up anywhere.
You're taking all the fun away

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
As for the detent tool, a quarter inch wooden dowel with a groove cut down the side for the detent to ride in while you're sliding it through the pin holes also works well and costs about .75 cents :wink:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies... I found several sources for AR tools. I need to place a few orders and then I can get my lower assembled.

Here's some tool resources I found in case others are looking, too:

TOOL KITS FOR AR-15/M16/M4 at Brownells

MidwayUSA - ProMag Brass Hammer and Punch Set 14-Piece

Welcome to the DPMS Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.

Bushmaster - Parts & Accessories

And a great video demonstrating lower assembly:

http://www.lifelibertyetc.com/RangeBag/Video/LLE_AR15StrippedLower.wmv

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
A gallon or larger size clear plastic bag to put lower in while you install front pivot :shock: so to keep it from flying accross room
+ 1,000,000,000 :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do not know much about these tools but yes I have read a little bit. I think you should have and must be concerned about a screwdriver or long handle Allen wrench for the grip, a couple of roll pin punches, taped pliers, and a small hammer. May they be enough to solve your problem. However, if you want to know more about tools for the content then allinonetables check this website. They are very easy to use and user-friendly. The most important advantage is that you can use all the tools free of cost. You will be happy with the results of these tools.

·
Premium Member
3,830 Posts
One or two lockable medical forceps. Small very thin kitchen knife or just the blade. A nice expensive 5 or 6 inch bench vise. A hunk of used wall to wall carpet. Buy the complete roll pin assortment plus a couple extra very small ones. They tend to bend. Good soft overhead lighting. A dry cleaners or laundry thin transparent plastic sack. Beverage of your choice. Soft background music. Try to keep the lap cat off the work bench. A good work bench slightly taller than normal. A normal pencil with a good eraser end.

Helpful hints. That pesky OEM trigger guard roll pin gets PRESSED into the receiver wing. Not pounded in. You will eventually or quickly break off the wing. Use the bench vise. Pad the vise with the carpet pieces. The thin knife blade helps with detent installation. The plastic bag helps containing flying parts. The cat can help finding them also. You can hold and align several parts at once with your fingers with practice. Easy to get springs backwards. Have fun, go slow. This is not rocket science. You can do it.

hundreds of builds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts