Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought the WASR, the Russian SKS, the HS200 and the wife's S&W 38 to the AZ range (aka the desert). Put about 200+ rounds through the WASR and only had 3 FTF, one was a dud round and the other two I blame on the lead tips on the Herter's ammo (which I wasn't that impressed with). They never fed correctly into the chamber and you could see the little lead "nipple" was mashed.
The SKS performed flawlessly as usual and it was the first time I used my new 20 round Tapco mags. They worked perfectly too. Ran about 80 rounds through it. I also found out how much I hate the Tapco folding stock and I'm thinking about getting the T6 type for it.
The HS2000 got about 40 round through it and I put 5 rounds through the 38 (it's just too damn small for my hands) then the wife did 5 rounds and said she was done.
We spent the next 20 minutes cleaning up brass and all the shotgun shells and other garbage left behind by others. Damn I hate people sometimes.
All in all, a decent day shooting, followed by a trip to a place called Rock Springs Cafe for a burger and pie. :D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the accuracy is fine, however my accuracy is questionable. I was once told to shoot fat Russians while qualifying on the M-16 when I was in the AF back in the late 80s. Most of what I was shooting was about 50-60 yards and was hitting most of what I was aiming for with a few exceptions. The SKS is a bit more accurate but is to be expected, IMO.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the accuracy is very decent. It's not a sniper rifle and doesn't pretend to be. The M-16s we used in the AF were pure crap. We even had to use .22lr adapters.

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
... We spent the next 20 minutes cleaning up brass and all the shotgun shells and other garbage left behind by others. Damn I hate people sometimes.
All in all, a decent day shooting, followed by a trip to a place called Rock Springs Cafe for a burger and pie. :D
hmmm, so a place that others leave in a mess, followed by eating at Rock Springs. Yummy pie. So I'd bet you were shooting at Table Mesa. I agree with you, I hate people sometimes - most leave such a mess there. That is why I prefer to go out into Tonto Forest where it is harder and more time to get to, so fewer go. Anyway, good on you for cleaning up after the idiots who wreck a nice place for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, Table Mesa Road, the most redundant name in the valley. Well, that and Pinnacle Peak. Back before I sold my Jeep, I was always involved in trail clean ups and had no problem going back where nobody else could get to, but my Tbird won't get very far off road and my wife's stocker Cherokee only will get us so far out.
I really hate when people destroy the desert. I love the desert so much and can't imagine leaving trash out there. Besides, I was a boy scout and learned "leave it cleaner than you found it".

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I saw where the illegals make a trail that looks like a landfill in the desert, literally miles long and i don't know how wide.

I saw from the air they followed it clear back to mexico from what ever city they started in.

sad.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very sad, mostly down from the border to Tucson and some of the other southern AZ cities. Unfortunately, not enough people talk about the environmental impact the illegals cause. A lot of southern Arizona deserts have become a giant garbage dump. If I lived down that way, I'd probably be involved in some clean ups, but I really hate cleaning up after others.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's sickening. Of course it's not much better to see people dumping old couches, water heaters, computers and other crap out in the desert here. A lot of people don't get it. The wildlife here really suffers. The people that want to enjoy the desert suffer. All because of ignorance and apathy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts