Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than it being 24 degrees out I had fun today shooting my GI1911...here is one of my targets from my short trip to the range.

After picking up my brass I noticed that a lot of them had a flat spot on them, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is normal or not...and if it would make the brass impossible to reload.
here is the best pic I could get of it

This is my first full size hand gun, and my first 45, and I AM IN LOVE

I had no issues other than a few failures to go into battery after inserting a new magazine. (that was fixed by slingshoting the slide rather than just thumbing the slide lock off)

any info on the brass would be great, thank you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Judging from the several GI style 1911's that I have had, this seems to be a fairly common problem. It shouldn't affect the operation of the gun. And yes, you can reload these rounds. The sizing die will round them out.

Art

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Judging from the several GI style 1911's that I have had, this seems to be a fairly common problem. It shouldn't affect the operation of the gun. And yes, you can reload these rounds. The sizing die will round them out.

Art
glad to hear it, thank you, do yo know what causes it to do that?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I was thinking about picking one of those up but was always wondering about the sights. How do you like them?

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Fun, fun gun - a great way to check off the 1911 box in your collection's inventory. I carry a lightly-modded 1911 GI a lot in the winter, had it strapped to the hip today actually.

·
Registered
35 Posts
do yo know what causes it to do that?
My GI 1911 does the same thing,it is caused by the brass hitting the ejection port upon ejection. (It is normal for a non lowered ejection port)

Having the ejection port lowered will eliminate that.
My Colt series 80 has the lowered ejection port and does not dent the brass.
As for the dented brass,as a previous poster said,the brass will be fine,the sizing die will round it out very nicely.
I have had no problems reloading the dented brass from my Gi 1911.

Glad you like your Gi:D I sure know I do,but one word of caution,1911's (and the .45 acp) are addictive,you won't be able to stop at just one!:oops:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about picking one of those up but was always wondering about the sights. How do you like them?
The sights are good, not as easy to use as 3 dot sights, but still easy to use. The gun I learned to shoot on was a FEG .380 (Walter PPK clone) and those were some tiny sights, so I think that makes these easier for me to use. I think that at some point down the road I will order a set of Mil Spec sights form springfield (some one here said they will fit without any modding, and are only $15)

I love this gun, and after shooting my XD40SC the 1911 was much easier to handle than I thaught it would be.

I am addicted to 1911's and the 45ACP...after getting a reloading set up I think Iam going to dive in and start a 1911 build from the ground up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had no issues other than a few failures to go into battery after inserting a new magazine. (that was fixed by slingshoting the slide rather than just thumbing the slide lock off)

any info on the brass would be great, thank you.
I have had the same problem with the 1911 GI I shoot occasionally. My theory on it is that it needs a heavier recoil spring. Sometimes a little extra lube before shooting helps too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts