Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I traded in my last non-XD semi-auto today for a brand new XD 9mm stainless. Apart from a few revolvers, now all of my pistols will be XDs. It's a good thing too, my girlfriend has completely taken over my other XD 9mm.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
There is no doubt that the execs at Springfield Armory are smiling ear-to-ear, because of this post. Like you, I too only own XDs, outside of my .357 Colt Pyton.

Many of my gun buddies, like Tango Sierra, mock me for being XD-only. Personally, I like it. Some day I will branch out, perhaps to buy a 1911-style.

Old School

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mocked myself actually, or people like me, too. I've traded off some high priced prestigious pistols in the last year and a half and every one of them was replaced by an XD of some sort. I can't be happier with having only XDs.

From a recreational standpoint these are fantastic guns to shoot. Every pull of the trigger is the same as the last. Even the larger caliber XDs have very manageable recoil. Most importantly they are easy to maintain and very well-made.

From a self defense standpoint I think the single handgun platform is a very good idea. Every single XD I own functions in the same way regardless of whether or not I look down to see which model it is. Revolvers will always have their place too because they as simple as you can get.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My XD was my first Pistol purchase, and the one that gave me a moderate case of GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome). :D From a training standpoint I can see how it would make sense to stick with one kind of weapon. I've found myself ruling out Service type Pistols with features like Decockers and Thumb Safetys or pretty much anything that would make the Pistol function substantially different than my XD as far as a "Draw, Aim, Fire" goes. I'm also a lefty which really narrows down my choices and is one reason I bought an XD in the first place. Still, there's tons of great firearms out there, and right now I'm into them and want some good examples of several types.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Variety is the spice of Life. See list below.

·
Registered
9,959 Posts
I traded a Colt Defender, that I and the factory could not get to work without jamming for an xd sub. The store manager laughed, but I got a pistol that now has about 10,000 rounds through it with only 3 jams ever and now almost two years latter that defender is still in his case every once in awhile. Someone will buy it and bring it back, and the jamming I fixed by replacing the recoil assembly at around 6,000 rounds. I know becuase I keep track for tax purposes.

Hey Oldschool I hope you are doing the same as far as counting compitions, ammo, mags etc for deductions on taxs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I too only have xd's. I traded in a H&K Usp 40 for the subbie out even the shop loved it. I guess they didn't know their loss. :twisted:

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
having only 1 stype of pistol be it glock, hk, or the xd is good. due to the fact that if u decide to switch up ur ccw weapon, they all operate the same. less chance of a screw up if u need to use the weapon for self defense purposes. u know how the gun will feel, u know exactly when the trigger will break etc etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just picked up another XD today :D This one is a Sub Compact 9mm.I also have a XD9 service model,which the slide in on its way to S.A to get Armory Koted.Then the "step child" a Glock 26 subbie.

Greg

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have to say I'm very fond of my XD40, and, perhaps in the near future, I'll add an SC to the list in my sig, but, I must say I'd not give up my Ruger P95. Its quite a nice gun, so long as you have no desire for safeties, and I've yet to use the decocker feature, but I also don't carry it (Taurus M85 has become my normal carry piece), just use it at the range. But yes, I'm thinking for defensive pieces, it'll always be an XD or a revolver, keeps things simple. :)

Matthew

·
Registered
373 Posts
i dont own very many guns but i bought the xd to be my ccw weapon of choice and also im opening a buisness where until i can afford a credit card machine it will be all cash so i wanted a gun that was easy to operate and reliable so far my xd seems to do as advertise i usally use my pt140 for main carry thats just untill i get enough rounds through my xd and i feel real comfortable with its reliablity but so far so good it turns out so far t obe my favorite gun in my collection

·
Registered
21 Posts
My recent acquisition of a 4" XD40 has fueled my G.A.S. also. The local collectors association show is coming up in a couple weekends and if the IRS gets me my refund in time I think there'll be an SC in my future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cadmonkey,
Go for it! One of my XDs, and possibly my favorite is the XD .40 sub-compact model. It is fantastic! Very little muzzle flip and easliy controlled for follow-up shots. It is a little bit larger than some sub-compacts but more than makes up for it with its good manners. I think I may have talked myself into getting a sub-compact 9mm next.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, I don't have one in .45 GAP. I'm trying to keep my XDs in two flavors: 9mm and .40 S&W. .40S&W is a very good round for self-defense. It is a very good compromise, in my opinion, between the 9mm and .45 ACP rounds. I think the .45 GAP is a little bit gimmicky too. It seems to fill a spot in the caliber lineup that is unnecessary. The .45 ACP is one of the best pistol rounds ever created, why mess with it? I'd love to shoot one sometime though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts