Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranked best to worst. I am pretty unhappy with the results. I have never been able to shoot the XD that great I don't blame the gun but I might sell it anyhow..... :mad: Ive put @ least 500 rounds though it at this point and Id imagine by now that Id be able to figure it out :confused::confused:

Ranked best to worst IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Did I miss the distance you were shooting from? Have you had anyone watch you for any errors you may be making? Do you shoot any other handguns much better?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
Don't despair yet. I've been shoot'n regularly for many months and know I can do better. Do you shoot at a club range? The wife vastly improved her groups with a rented hour of time with one of our club instructors. I have an appt tomorrow with the same guy. Oft times another set of (trained) eyes can do wonders. ;)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did I miss the distance you were shooting from? Have you had anyone watch you for any errors you may be making? Do you shoot any other handguns much better?
Sorry I was @ 10 yards. I do shoot my dads XD45 much better he does have a shorter travel trigger job. I haven't really had anyone watch me besides my dad but I don't shoot with him often.

I had a S&W sigma that I shot much better too :(

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Does anyone know if the grouping on the 9 vs the 40 is different. If this is at ten yards, could it be the ammo? It looks to be all over the map!
AAron, does the grouping get smaller if your on a rest/support?? I would say practice, but it sounds like you have some time under your belt... Are your hands too wide for the 9.. you might be a service or a M person!

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone know if the grouping on the 9 vs the 40 is different. If this is at ten yards, could it be the ammo? It looks to be all over the map!
AAron, does the grouping get smaller if your on a rest/support?? I would say practice, but it sounds like you have some time under your belt... Are your hands too wide for the 9.. you might be a service or a M person!
I doubt its the ammo, well lets hope not since I have about 1k rounds of the Remington UMC in my ammo chest, I think it may be that I am anticipating the recoil.

My hands aren't small but not that big either I wear medium sized gloves lol.

I will keep trying with the XD a few more sessions I will also rent a M&P and a glock next range session maybe and see how I shoot those, I may also try to take up some of the trigger travel with either a trigger kit or a trigger job (having a father whos an amature gunsmith helps)

·
Registered
329 Posts
i can only agree with the earlier post to get another set of trained eyes to help you and see if they can see anything that may be adding to this grouping problem. only thing i can recomend is to not try and compensate for the wide shots, just try aiming at the same point every shot. when your groups at ten yards are one big hole (which with an xd should be no problem) then if they are not on where you are aiming then adjust the sights. imo you may be moving the sight spot around and then whatever problem ie jerking the trigger squeezing harder on the grip while pulling and then dealing with two different problems at the same time. only been shooting handguns for a few months and i got some help at the range from an instructor there and that really helped. good luck adn if you want to sell it let me know.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well my dad watched me shoot today and I AM anticipating the recoil so I'm working on that and I did do quite a bit better today :-D. I'll be holding onto my XD for sure. And prob getting another one soon :-D

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am having the same issue anticipating the recoil and I have been shooting low. How do you overcome this? Is it just a comfort thing or is there a technique?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not a handgun trainer so take my suggestions with a few grains of salt, but here's my 2 cents:

1. It's highly unlikely the ammo. Even Remington's cheap stuff isn't that bad. I've put a couple thousand Rem UMC through my gun with no issues and excellent accuracy.

2. It's unlikely the gun. If you had tight groups that were just off target, then it might be misaligned sights. You don't have that. The chances of getting a defective gun from factory are fairly low.

3. The vast majority of your shots are off to the left which is common for right-hand shooters and might indicate you're not pulling the trigger straight back and may be slapping at it a little. Could be that you need to work on your trigger pull, could be flinching. But IMHO, bad accuracy is caused by the operator 99% of the time.

Trainers that I've had have suggested doing a lot of dry-fire practice which you can easily do at home. One trainer suggested to me that you should do 10 dry fires for every bullet you put down range. I've found that dry fire practice actually does help. Good training + practice...

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Xarvet is right on...Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. It really seems like a trigger control issue. Try to focus on manipulating the trigger without disturbing the sight picture at all.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice guys you all have been quite helpful, it must be trigger control, I am going to keep dry fire practicing and I'm sure it will come around. Like I said I did a lot better yesterday when I used a bit more trigger finger on the gun, I actually shot better 1 handed and I realized I was getting a bit more finger on the trigger and once i corrected that I was doing much better. I was also taking too long to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Ranked best to worst. I am pretty unhappy with the results. I have never been able to shoot the XD that great I don't blame the gun but I might sell it anyhow..... :mad: Ive put @ least 500 rounds though it at this point and Id imagine by now that Id be able to figure it out :confused::confused:

Ranked best to worst IMO.
Are you right handed? It looks like you're consistantly pressing into the right side of the trigger instead of squeezing it straight back with the pad of your finger. A very common condition that practice and repetition will correct.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am right handed i think your right about the trigger press.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I am right handed i think your right about the trigger press.
There was a drill that we used to use with new employees. If you have a revolver, MAKING SURE IT IS UNLOADED AND POINTING IN A SAFE DIRECTION, balance a quarter on the end of the barrel and see how many times you can squeeze the trigger without knocking the quarter off. It sounds stupid but it will help teach you trigger discipline. Try it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
you could try some snap caps mixed in your mag...it will let you see exactly what you are doing when you are breaking the shot.....also let the gun recoil more.....don't try as hard to controll the muzzle flip...after your groups tighten up then start driving it more aggressive and griping the heck out of it with your support hand.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Are you burying your finger into the trigger? I had the same problem until a range officer told my to use the tip of my finger and not the middle. I shoot shotgun sports and am used to pulling the trigger with the first knuckle crease. I cannot do that in handgun. Once I got the grip and trigger fixed, my groupings tightened up. Practice, Practice, Practice.

It takes time, but your groups will tighten up. Good Luck

Jerbear

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
well my dad watched me shoot today and I AM anticipating the recoil so I'm working on that and I did do quite a bit better today :-D. I'll be holding onto my XD for sure. And prob getting another one soon :-D
I am having the same issue anticipating the recoil and I have been shooting low. How do you overcome this? Is it just a comfort thing or is there a technique?
In my opinion (and that is all it is), as far as anticipating the recoil you need to do A LOT of Dry Fire Practice and work on taking the slack out of the trigger and then a smooth constant pull on the trigger until it breaks. Use the pad of the first joint on the trigger. Practice this until you can do it with out twitching or flinching. Just concentrate on a smooth constant pull of the trigger until it breaks clean. Shooting low left could also have a grip issue as well. You might be squeezing the grip to tight with your dominant hand (I am assuming it is the right hand) especially just before the trigger breaks. Loosen up just slightly on the right/dominant hand and grip sightly hard with the support/left hand. See if these things improve your groupings and bring them in to where you want them. I was having the same problems and I had to work on both of these. But I have seen some drastic improvements. I hope this helps. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts