Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a more budget or economical build with a couple stripped recievers I got in a trade. Building a 5.45x39 AR. Don't care about the 7n6 Russian ammo importation ban, i can still get ammo made here for it. And at less then a quarter a round why not.

PSA stripped upper and lower.
PSA Lower Build kit with B5 Systems SOPMOD Bravo stock and pistol grip. And a set of KNS Anti Rotation Pins.

Going to go straight iron sights this build. Have everything ordered for a Midlength Magpul MOE handguard and F frame front sight/gas block.

Only thing needed is barrel and bolt and magazines.

Thinking of going with the Osprey Defense 416 retrofit piston kit because it has its on carrier for the 5.45x39 bolt. Now the question is should I piston or not. The ammo is dirty, but worth the 300+ cash price for a drop in piston kit?

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
What will you be using the weapon for?

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
IMHO, for a 'range toy', I would keep it simple and go with an regular AR and spent the money I saved on ammo and a good cleaning kit.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMHO, for a 'range toy', I would keep it simple and go with an regular AR and spent the money I saved on ammo and a good cleaning kit.
very true, that will buy me close to 1500 rounds.

appreciate the imput guys. only reason i went with the 2 piece magpul handguard is because it worked great for a piston, but then again this is a budget build and piston takes the budget out. only thing i liked about it was the time it would save in cleaning. but its not that bad. gun be a fun rifle either way.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
The Adams arms kit is cheaper and easier to clean because you don't have to pull the handguards to clean it and it gives you more handguard options. But then having to buy a 5,45x39.5 bolt offests the money, but not the ease of maintenance. You get some decent heat with the Osprey under the handguard. If shoot enough corrosive ammo without the Fail Zero coating, you'll be taking it apart regularly for cleaning and dealing with that damn clip and driving the pin out of the gas block.
Adams Arms conversions come with a bolt carrier and can be had for under $300 with shipping.

It is a nice set up, but its only advantage is it doesn't need to be adjusted for suppressor use. Its draw back is short stroking with under powered hand loads.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Personally I'd go with the platform the AR-15 was built on... Yes, the direct impingement gas system causes the BCG and upper receiver to get dirty but most guns get dirty when you use them and most gun owners find gun cleaning a little therapeutic and a little aromatherapy of Hoppe's in the air doesn't hurt either! :lol:

The direct impingement system has been in use for more than 54 years and it still works. I'm not saying the gas piston system is crap... It actually works quite nicely in firearms that were built around the system...

It all comes down to preference and what you really want. Both systems get dirty, just in different areas of the firearm. The gas piston system will, however, make the muzzle end of the AR a bit heavier and hotter... Good luck on your decision. :cool:

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Get the piston system if that's what you want. I had both and sold the DI simply because my piston was built more for me. Neither was any more reliable than the other, any failure on either was crap ammo. Bottom line, don't get the piston system cause you have budget to burn. Get it cause it's what you want.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
I'm a DI fan myself. ;-)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
always appreciate more imput. did alot more research and feel im better off using that money to buy ammo. this is going to be a somewhat cheap range toy, so if i went piston i would end up putting in my 5.56 which is much nicer

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
screw maintenance, get the piston.
your time is worth money, cleaning takes time.
its a constant investment

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
reading further, i will actually wait until i get my supessor for my 300blackout, it will work for 5.56 and the 5.45 so that will make the piston system worth it. but at a later date

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

so far for this budget friendly build i have been in no hurry but have parts in now.

Lower: (Complete)
PSA Stripped Lower
PSA Lower Build Kit with B5 Systems pistol grip and SOPMOD Bravo stock in FDE
KNS Anti Rotation Pins in FDE

UPPER:
PSA Stripped Upper
High Standard Forward Assist and Ejection Port Cover and Barrel Nut
Magpul MOE Midlength Hand Guard FDE
Double Star "F" Marked Front Sight Block
D.S Arms Enhanced Delta Ring Assembly
Ballistic Advantage 16" SPR Midlength 5.45x39 (Corrosion Resistant) Barrel with FailZero Nib coated barrel reciever with M4 feed ramps
Ballistic Advantage Midlength Gas Tube (Corrosion Resistant)

all i need is a BCG with a 5.45x39 bolt, FlashHider, Charging Handle

·
Registered
19,988 Posts
the AR was designed as a DI gun. If you want a piston gun, get a gun designed as a piston gun.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts