Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) After some deliberation, I just purchased my first Springfield offering. The XD SC 40. I would be delighted to hear about any experience/opinion that you may have concerning this gun. Such as, what might I be on the lookout for as far as reliability issues or what is the best concealed carry holster or what has been your best ammo. Just about any input would be appreciated. I have been a rifle, shotgun, pistol (the latter, more so as of late) gunner for 25 or so years and I am still liable to ask a stupid question now and again for various reasons. Such as, as I intend to carry this gun, how long should you leave this model with a round "locked and loaded"? What consideration should be given to tension left on the striker spring? Thanks for any input.
From the New Guy. :)

P.S. I have spent more time than I really should have browsing the posts here and I am impressed. Great pics and great conversation!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hi Cyber!

As to your first question, "How long should I leave this pistol locked and loaded?" That would depend on your circumstance I suppose. I wouldn't do it left on a play table in a room full of toddlers for example. Other than that.. the pistol will be fine.

The tension on the striker spring is not a factor. Springs don't loose any of their effectivness from being compressed. There are fella's (and one girl) who have 10,000 rounds + through their XD, and I havn't heard of one failure yet because of the striker spring. Just keep her clean, and shoot her. That's all she want's to do.

Raymond

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
The following is purely suggestive:
General Questions and Answers:
Author assumes no responsibility for actions taken by users of this Q & A section.
Use these SUGGESTIONS at YOUR OWN RISK!
If in doubt, consult your Manuel for your handgun.
If in doubt, consult a reputable firearms service center.
If in doubt, consult SPRINGFIELD ARMS.

Never “play” with a handgun, loaded or not
Always unload the gun before handling.
Read the manufactures gun safety suggestions, and follow them.
Do take the time to attend a gun safety class(es).

Introduction to the XD Pistol: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/

1.)
Q: Can the magazine be left loaded for extended periods of time?
A: yes, it will not hurt the magazine or the spring. Actually makes loading a full magazine easier.

2.)
Q: I can’t get the slide (aka dust cover) off?
A: Take the magazine out first.
A: Flip the disassembly lever up, pull the trigger, and then the slide will come right off.

3.)
Q: Do XD’s rust.
A: Yes all metal can rust with improper care. Note, Improper care. Also, some XD’s may have a surface rust issue. Contact Springfield Armory about this.

4.)
Q: If my XD is rusting, will I have to pay SA to refinish it?
A: Depends on what type of rust. It is best to contact them for correct answer. Surface rust, generally they pay for basic refinish. Rust from damage, probably yes, you pay.

5.)
Q: Can I put different sights in?
A: Yes. Some have a hard time, some easy. http://www.xd-hs2000.com/shopping

6.)
Q: Can I buy an XD and put in aftermarket barrels?
A: Yes. Pistolgear.com and AJAMES have some, as well as others here on the forum.

7.)
Q: Failure to feed / eject?
A: Try adjusting your magazine feed lips.
A: Dismantle and clean your magazine inside and lightly lube.
A: Are you “limp wristing”? Hold your wrist a little more stiff.
A: Is your thumb interfering with the slide action, many times this is the problem. Hold your thumb down just a little lower.
Author assumes no responsibility for actions taken by users of this Q & A section.

8.)
Q: What is a good product to protect the XD?
A: Whatever works best for you.
A: Something safe for a polymer gun
A: Blue Wonder makes a product called Armadillo that works great.

9.)
Q: What is Armadillo?
A: A wax protectant for your metal parts. Heating the wax a little helps in the application of it, or the use of a wet warm application towel.

10.)
Q: Is brand XXXXXXX ammo any good?
A; Try it, find out.

11.)
Q: Brand XXXXXX ammo always jambs up my gun.
A: Use different ammo.
A: You might have to polish your feed ramp.

12.)
Q: What is the feed ramp?
A: With the gun disassembled, it is the part of the barrel where the shell casing enters. It is shinny and at an angle. The bullet nose and case slide up this to enter the barrel. Sometimes the ramp gets debris, scratched or even is just a little off angle for the type of round your are shooting.

13.)
Q: What is the best defense round?
A: The one that hits the target.

14.)
Q: Can I mount a holo sight on my gun?
A: Yes. There are sight mounts for the glocks that, with modification, Can fit the XD.
A: http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/

15.)
Q: Being a plastic gun, is it durable?
A: Yes. It is used be various militaries around the world.

16.)
Q: Where is the XD made?
A: Croatia. Europe. Used by their armed forces.

17.)
Q: Can I put my buddies 40cal barrel in my 9mm frame.
A: NO.

18.)
Q: Can I buy other caliber barrels for my xd?
A: Yes. Check AJAMES or pistolgear.com.

19.)
Q: Why can’t I rack the slide?
A: Are you holding the grip safety in?

20.)
Q: What should I do when the gun has a FTE?
A: Read your Manuel from the manufacture.

21.)
Q: Can I have the trigger reworked to a lighter pull?
A: Contact your local gunsmith
A: Ask on the forum.
A: Yes it can be done

22.)
Q: Should I wear a towel on my head to improve my shooting?
A: No.

23.)
Q: Can I shoot my gun underwater?
A: Why would you want to? Some say yes, some say no. Ask Springfield for the Proper answer.
A: If you want to fish, use a fishing pole.

24.)
Q: Are there any accessories for the XD?
A: Yes. Every month more items are coming out. Again, check AJAMES and Pistolgear.com and others. Everything from holsters to lights and lasers. Barrels to refinishing.

25.)
Q: Can I replace my striker?
A: Yes, details online.

26.)
Q: What is stippling?
A: Customizing of the gun grip. It looks like somebody touches the grip a bunch of times with a hot soldering iron, creating little dimples all over the handle to improve grip.

27.)
Q: What can I use to better the grip on my XD, on the cheap side?
A: Bicycle tire tube cut to length and slide it up on the handgrip.

28.)
Q: Do I need to oil my gun?
A: Yes. Lightly. Too much oil will attract dirt.
A: There are many different products out there to purchase and use. Dry lubricant’s work well.

29.)
Q: Do I need to oil my magazines?
A: Oil attracts dirt. Try a dry lubricant if you must.

30.)
Q. Do I need to clean the XD after every use?
A: No. But it is good too do so. Some users have shot upwards of 4k to 5k rounds without cleaning. Some more, Some less. Some clean it every time. Some clean it every week, used or not.

31.)
Q: Will SA buy back my 10 round magazines?
A: Ask them. It depends on when you purchased the gun in relation to the ban expiring.

32.)
Q: I shoot low/high/left/right/ a little low and to the left. What am I doing wrong?
A: http://americanshooter.com/Features/features.html
A: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

33.)
Q. What is WWB?
A. Winchester White Box ammo.

These are just some suggestions to some questions. Nothing offenseive ment / implied by listing them all here for you. :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
therooster said:
^wow... nice work... that should definatley be a sticky.
Indeed. Very impressive.

And now for my slightly less comprehensive input; you got a SC, so I'd recommend (highly) that you get the pierce grip extensions. They make a whole world of difference.

As far as holsters go, I actually like the XD Gear SA holster. Makes for good camping, range, etc. For IWB concealed carry, I just took one for the team, bit the bullet (heh, get it? ok, nevermind...), forked out the cash and bought a Tucker Answer. I've not regreted it. I also got a CompTac C-TAC, and a mighty fine holster it was, but alas, twas not for me.

Also, I keep my gun locked and loaded, 24/7. No magazine problems here. Only ever had one misfire and that was because the person shooting it (not me) rode the slide instead of letting it fly.

Anyway, enjoy your new gun. You made a good choice, and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Captain Ray, tec, the rooster, mr0w1, BigBob68, thanks for the welcome.
No offense taken on the lengthy response. I found alot of useful info there and of course its always good to be reminded now and again of things we do "know". Good to confirm the striker spring tension is not an issue. Also, I added all the links to my favorites list to review after this post. I like the XD holster I got with the purchase but I will definitely check out the Tucker Answer. Same with the Pierce grip extensions. That's the first thing I thought of after I made the purchase. I'm not always fond of a wandering pinky. Well at least after I thought "What time is it?" and then "How fast can I get to the range?" and "Did I buy enough ammo?" I wasn't sure I'd get a good response on such a broad question, but it's great to not have to search every subject when you are a newbie. Thanks for the input so far. I'll shoot her safe and keep her clean.
P.S. Jackstraw, I have browsed enough posts to have seen at least one towel garnished gunslinger. But if you guys are sure it doesn't help...

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
[TASF said:
Overkill]It's not a towel dammit!

" A picture is worth a thousand words" , and thats a towel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mr0w1,
Checked out your page. Is that the Pierce grip extension and Tucker Answer shown in the pics? Duct tape, it really can be used for anything.

·
Registered
173 Posts
tec said:
2.)
A: Flip the disassembly lever up, pull the trigger, and then the slide will come right off.
You forgot a couple of steps.

In between the two steps mentioned above, lock the slide back. Then after "flip the disassembly lever up," release the slide by riding it forward.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Appreciate the links to the posts. I enjoyed them. Safety before, during, and after. May God bless the memory of your nephew.
Going to Wallyworld Tuesday. I'll look for the JHP's.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
WWIIArmsLover said:
tec said:
2.)
You forgot a couple of steps.

In between the two steps mentioned above, lock the slide back. Then after "flip the disassembly lever up," release the slide by riding it forward.
noted and fixed. PLEASE let me know of any other clarifications.

General Questions and Answers:
If reading this with a / your gun nearby, please unload and verify the gun is unloaded now before proceeding any further with reading.
The questions and the answers listed here are taken from the questions and the answers and the comments of readers of this forum, not from the main dealer, manufactuer, or a
licensed gun smith. Treat the comments listed here as a suggestion of what could be done.

Never “play” with a handgun, loaded or not
Always unload the gun before handling.
Read the manufactures gun safety suggestions, and follow them.
Do take the time to attend a gun safety class(es).

Introduction to the XD Pistol: http://www.gunsandammomag.com/techside/xd_010305/
Another introduction to the XD, this time leaning towards the sub compact model, VERY informative site: http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/gunpages/xdcomp.htm

1.)
Q: Can the magazine be left loaded for extended periods of time?
A: yes, it will not hurt the magazine or the spring. Actually makes loading a full magazine easier.

2.)
B. Lock the slide back.
C. Flip the disassembly lever up,
D. Pull the trigger,
E. Slide the slide forward, it will come right off.

3.)
Q: Do XD’s rust.
A: Yes all metal can rust with improper care. Note, Improper care. Also, some XD’s may have a surface rust issue. Contact Springfield Armory about this.

4.)
Q: If my XD is rusting, will I have to pay SA to refinish it?
A: Depends on what type of rust. It is best to contact them for correct answer. Surface rust, generally they pay for basic refinish. Rust from damage, probably yes, you pay.
A: http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20321&highlight=finish

5.)
Q: Can I put different sights in?
A: Yes. Some have a hard time, some easy. http://www.xd-hs2000.com/shopping

6.)
Q: Can I buy an XD and put in aftermarket barrels?
A: Yes. Pistolgear.com and AJAMES have some, as well as others here on the forum.

7.)
Q: Failure to feed / eject?
A: Try adjusting your magazine feed lips.
A: Dismantle and clean your magazine inside and lightly lube.
A: Are you “limp wristing”? Hold your wrist a little more stiff.
A: Is your thumb interfering with the slide action, many times this is the problem. Hold your thumb down just a little lower.
A: Sometimes the springs in the magazines need to be broken in. Leave the mags full until you get to the range. Give it a try
A: defective design of the 40 S&W round. The short stubby round with a truncated cone bullet is just made to jam up against the chamber top, especially if the lip of the case catches on the edge of the chamber. It does not matter what gun, HK, Glock, SIG, S&W or CZ, the tying factor seems to be the round. My suggestion is try to use only rounds with rounded flat point, they seem to feed better. I know that does not do much in case of JHP usualy but that is the nature of the beast

8.)
Q: What is a good product to protect the XD?
A: Whatever works best for you.
A: Something safe for a polymer gun
A: Blue Wonder makes a product called Armadillo that works great.

9.)
Q: What is Armadillo?
A: A wax protectant for your metal parts. Heating the wax a little helps in the application of it, or the use of a wet warm application towel.

10.)
Q: Is brand XXXXXXX ammo any good?
A; Try it, find out.

11.)
Q: Brand XXXXXX ammo always jambs up my gun.
A: Use different ammo.
A: You might have to polish your feed ramp.

12.)
Q: What is the feed ramp?
A: With the gun disassembled, it is the part of the barrel where the shell casing enters. It is shinny and at an angle. The bullet nose and case slide up this to enter the barrel. Sometimes the ramp gets debris, scratched or even is just a little off angle for the type of round your are shooting.

13.)
Q: What is the best defense round?
A: The one that hits the target.

14.)
Q: Can I mount a holo sight on my gun?
A: Yes. There are sight mounts for the glocks that, with modification, Can fit the XD.
A: http://www.bb-enterprise.biz/

15.)
Q: Being a plastic gun, is it durable?
A: Yes. It is used be various militaries around the world.

16.)
Q: Where is the XD made?
A: Croatia. Europe. Used by their armed forces.

17.)
Q: Can I put my buddies 40cal barrel in my 9mm frame.
A: NO.

18.)
Q: Can I buy other caliber barrels for my xd?
A: Yes. Check AJAMES or pistolgear.com.

19.)
Q: Why can’t I rack the slide?
A: Are you holding the grip safety in?

20.)
Q: What should I do when the gun has a FTE?
A: Read your Manuel from the manufacture.

21.)
Q: Can I have the trigger reworked to a lighter pull?
A: Contact your local gunsmith
A: Ask on the forum.
A: Yes it can be done

22.)
Q: Should I wear a towel on my head to improve my shooting?
A: No.

23.)
Q: Can I shoot my gun underwater?
A: Why would you want to? Some say yes, some say no. Ask Springfield for the Proper answer.

24.)
Q: Are there any accessories for the XD?
A: Yes. Every month more items are coming out. Again, check AJAMES and Pistolgear.com and others. Everything from holsters to lights and lasers. Barrels to refinishing.

25.)
Q: Can I replace my striker?
A: Yes, details online.

26.)
Q: What is stippling?
A: Customizing of the gun grip. It looks like somebody touches the grip a bunch of times with a hot soldering iron, creating little dimples all over the handle to improve grip.

27.)
Q: What can I use to better the grip on my XD, on the cheap side?
A: Bicycle tire tube cut to length and slide it up on the handgrip.

28.)
Q: Do I need to oil my gun?
A: Yes. Lightly. Too much oil will attract dirt.
A: There are many different products out there to purchase and use. Dry lubricant’s work well.

29.)
Q: Do I need to oil my magazines?
A: Oil attracts dirt. Try a dry lubricant if you must.

30.)
Q. Do I need to clean the XD after every use?
A: No. But it is good too do so. Some users have shot upwards of 4k to 5k rounds without cleaning. Some more, Some less. Some clean it every time. Some clean it every week, used or not.

31.)
Q: Will SA buy back my 10 round magazines?
A: Ask them. It depends on when you purchased the gun in relation to the ban expiring.

32.)
Q: I shoot low/high/left/right/ a little low and to the left. What am I doing wrong?
A: http://americanshooter.com/Features/features.html
A: http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

33.)
Q. What is WWB?
A. Winchester White Box ammo.

If in doubt, consult SPRINGFIELD ARMS

34.)
Q: My “chamber loaded” indicator is stuck in the UP position. What is wrong?
A: Is the gun loaded. Is a round in the chamber?
A: Parts 37,38, or 39... The spring keeps the indicator down unitl a round is chambered which lifts it up. I think what you will need to do is take down the entire slide dissembly..(you don't have to take out the extractor if you don't want to, this should not be part of your problem.) I would bet that you have some piece of "gunk" lodged between the slide frame and your indicator that is stuck in there.. that will be easy enough to see after you remove the indicator, indicator spring, and indicator pin, and the entire slide assembly
http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html Click on slide disassembly.

35,)
Q. Are there any CAD drawings for the XD?
A. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=20900&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30url
A. http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=21209&highlight=

36.)
Q. What is the size of a XD?
A. Slide width at widest point = 1.090"
Plastic frame width just below slide = 1.190"
grip just above magazine = 1.210"
Widest part of grip (includes the raised thumb "lump" area) = 1.264
Absolute widest point (includes protrusion from slide release) = 1.286"

If comparing to other guns, bear in mind Springfield measures the overall length the way I would (total length from end of barrel to whatever point extends farthest back, be it beavertail, slide, etc.). Some (Glock) measure the total slide length, but neglect to include the portion of the grip that extends even more behind that point.

37.)
Q. What is the size difference of a XD verses a Glock?
A.

38.)
Q.) XD size compared to a sig?
A.) the XD service is nearly identical in size to the Sig 228/229
B.) Bianchi 19L holster shows the same size for the XD as the Sig 2340 & 2009

39.)
Q. Is the Bi-tone stainless steel?
A. YES Bi Tone is stainless. Bead blasted stainless and that's why it doesn't have the "bling".This it true. Remember, Stainless = Stain LESS. It CAN rust, but isn't as prone to rust. Also, there are different grades of stainless steel that will offer more or less resistance to rust.
B. No matter what you get, you still need to take care of it.

40.)
Q. Is the warrenty transferabile to a new owner?
A. According to their info pack that goes with the gun upon purchase. Paragraph one on the description of the "limited lifetime warrenty". " Springfield, Inc. warrents to the initial retail purchaser that the products it wells will be free of defects in workmanship or material during his or her lifetime as long as he or she owns the product............" . Note that it says " ... initial retail purchaser...". however, later on it also states in the section titled " Disclaimer of Liability" ( half way thru paragraph #2) . " Springfield, Inc. will not be responsible for the results of careless handeling, unauthorized repairs and adjustments, corrosion.........." .Note that it says S.A will not be responsible for ..........corrosion. And we know what they have been doing for corrosion.

41.)
Q. Ammo magazine descriptions- (as with everything else here, it is subjective)
A. *Standard capacity = a flush mag that does not extend past the end of the grip.

*High capacity = A mag that usually holds over 20 rounds and extends several inches from the grip.

*Clinton mag = a magazine that was designed to hold more then ten rounds, but had been altered to diminish the capacity to comply with federal legislation in effect from 1994 to 2004.

*Clip = A stripper clip that is designed to load various rifles such as a SKS.
42.)
Q. 9mm??????
A. 9mm Luger = 9mm Parabellum = 9x19mm = 9mm ammo. Just different name for the same thing.

43.)
Q. Who is a “Delija” and a “Captain Ray”?
A. Two guys having a contest too see who can be meaner to each other.
B. Two guys having a contest to see who has a shlort and who has a shlong.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts