Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I come home from work today and go to put my XD9 away. I live in Ohio and carry everyday, so I have gotten in the habit of wiping down the gun before storing it. Ohio is humid as hell, combined with the fact that I sweat all day at work, I expected this to happen. I have had my XD for over a year now and finally see a touch of rust. My question is this should I spring to have it refinished, or just clean it off and go on? If the answer is clean it off, can anyone recomend a product to use this is the first time I have encountered it.

Just to give you guys an idea of what I am looking at. Take a look at this pic. Notice the blemishes above the takedown lever, and to the left of the XD9 stamp.

And this one I just like :D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I hear that just letting it sit in CLP for a while usually does the trick. Follow up by brushing off with a nylon brush. You might want to consider waxing your gun with some good old carnuba car wax.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
jkswiss - Are there any negatives to using carnuba wax? I've been trying to find a heavier or more resiliant oil to address this same concern, although my xdsc has never had any signs of rust.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
There are a number of people that use carnuba car wax with no problems. If it can take the 100 degree heat w/ direct sunlight on it w/ the car, it can protect your gun no problem. If your hesitant, you can use Armadillo, but I don't really see a big difference. Plus carnuba is so much easier to apply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts