Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since none of us any longer own any type of firearms this is strictly theoretical mind you...

The 3" SC is nice but I like the idea of a lower-pressure 9mm round with the same velocity provided by the 4" barrel instead of more powder.

I thought about grip-chopping a 4" XD9 service, easy enough to do with a few minutes of spare time. Then I happened to see a clean 2nd gen HS that already had NS and some other work done (hard-chromed slide and other bits).

So if one were to grip-chop the HS, would it be committing a heinous act against innocent polymer or just making something a little more customized than it already is?

·
Registered
265 Posts
to conceal better, sure go ahead and chop it. but for velocity gain? poor reason, the increase in velocity doesnt make up for the lower ammo capacity

·
Premium Member
20,508 Posts
Since none of us any longer own any type of firearms this is strictly theoretical mind you...

The 3" SC is nice but I like the idea of a lower-pressure 9mm round with the same velocity provided by the 4" barrel instead of more powder.

I thought about grip-chopping a 4" XD9 service, easy enough to do with a few minutes of spare time. Then I happened to see a clean 2nd gen HS that already had NS and some other work done (hard-chromed slide and other bits).

So if one were to grip-chop the HS, would it be committing a heinous act against innocent polymer or just making something a little more customized than it already is?
YES it would be, that would be like cutting up a classic car in my eyes. grip chop your XD-9 and buy the HS and leave it as is.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for you input.

Yes - Primary reason is to conceal better, and carry a 16rd w/sleeve as a backup mag. The +P vs. non+P debate is largely based on the scenario that should a SD situation arise there is a slightly better chance of less hearing damage with a lower-pressure round. I also like a 'usable' rail.

to conceal better, sure go ahead and chop it. but for velocity gain? poor reason, the increase in velocity doesn't make up for the lower ammo capacity
I appreciate the input, and to date the HS is still 'complete'. But between an XDM9 and XD9SC it is sort of left out and I don't need a safe queen. If somebody local had a nice XD9 service I'd consider trading as the hard-chrome is useful but I prefer all black or OD/black. I'm torn.

YES it would be, that would be like cutting up a classic car in my eyes. grip chop your XD-9 and buy the HS and leave it as is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts