Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enlighten me Oh Great Possessors of Unlimited Knowledge! I am building an AR. What is the opinion on chrome bores. Should I go chrome or not?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Depends on what you're building. Chrome lined barrels are less accurate require less maintenance.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I have both and I have yet to see the difference in accuracy. They do say that the chrome lined barrels require less cleaning. If the extra cost for the chrome lining isn't going to be a problem, I say go for it. But that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Chrome lined barrels have been around for military arms a long time. Old subject. Corrosion resistance was/is the reason given.

For civilian sport or target shooting? Dunno if you need it. Perhaps not. If you want chrome, save it for the bolt head assembly.

Reason there is it makes it easier to clean/INSPECT the bolt lugs and related stuff. Also a chromed cam pin is OK for the same reasons.

Also, he he he, most chroming adds only about half a thousanths to the size of the part. Usually the parts are NOT acid etched to remove such.

The result (usually, but not always) is a part that fits just a little bit tighter and better. Spend your money on a match barrel, sites and trigger. HB of CJ :) :) :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you ever get lazy on cleaning, go chrome. If you clean after every shoot or so, no need for chrome. Though personally, if you have the budget, I would go chrome.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
if you are talking about $30.00 difference go with CL. I have 4 without and 2 with. but I clean after after every range session. not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
not necessary to have a chrome lined barrel and bore but it doesn't hurt to have it either. accuracy will only be effected when shooting over 600 yards where you want to squeeze every ounce of accuracy you can out of your rifle for anything at our around the 100-300 yard range you will not notice the difference

as mentioned it makes cleaning up a lot less time consuming as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts