Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This light will be mounted on a SA 3.8 compact used for bedside gun. Is the tlr 1 "overkill"? I found these 2 pics online. The longer one being the tlr 1. Is it bad to have a light stick out that far past the barrel? Would it be better to go with the shorter 3 version?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I have no problem with a light sticking out further than the barrel. If its truly a defensive pistol, it doesnt matter how it looks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
+1 for a TLR-1

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just do a cost to benefit analysis. You will get the answer you desire.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The TLR-1(s) models are brighter and more rugged being made of metal. The plastic TLR-3/4 have had breakage problems with people cranking to much on the mounting. A redesign and a set of change instructions now come with the plastic lights.

The only thing with the light extending over the end of the barrel is they get dirtier. When I had a light mounted on my XD Service it got grungy. Gun Scrubber to the rescue. Now it's mounted on a Tactical, less grime.

If your are going to carry this gun/light combo, research what holsters are out there for the two combinations, that may alter your thinking. Certainly the TLR-3 will be easier for concealment. If this is a nightstand gun only, I'd go for the TLR-1s. I don't use the strobe, but the light is brighter than the standard TLR-1.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I've had the TLR-3 mounted on my Gen4 G17 (my HD gun) for over 2 yrs now and have done quite a bit of shooting with it at the range with light attached, and have had no problems. I like how compact and maneuverable it is on the gun, doesn't make it feel front heavy at all. Also is plenty bright enough for my needs, is cost-effective and has ambi activation switch. Unless you're going to run it in a duty holster and put a lot of hard use on it, I see no reason to spend the extra cost for a TLR-1. the 3 may not be as absolutely durable, but how much abuse is a HD gun really going to go through anyway?

Like I said, I've had no problem with the 3 and I highly recommend it!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The TLR-1(s) models are brighter and more rugged being made of metal. The plastic TLR-3/4 have had breakage problems with people cranking to much on the mounting. A redesign and a set of change instructions now come with the plastic lights.

The only thing with the light extending over the end of the barrel is they get dirtier. When I had a light mounted on my XD Service it got grungy. Gun Scrubber to the rescue. Now it's mounted on a Tactical, less grime.

If your are going to carry this gun/light combo, research what holsters are out there for the two combinations, that may alter your thinking. Certainly the TLR-3 will be easier for concealment. If this is a nightstand gun only, I'd go for the TLR-1s. I don't use the strobe, but the light is brighter than the standard TLR-1.

Just a bedside gun, shoot it every now and then. I was actually looking at the TLR 1HL if that makes a difference or not....

I've had the TLR-3 mounted on my Gen4 G17 (my HD gun) for over 2 yrs now and have done quite a bit of shooting with it at the range with light attached, and have had no problems. I like how compact and maneuverable it is on the gun, doesn't make it feel front heavy at all. Also is plenty bright enough for my needs, is cost-effective and has ambi activation switch. Unless you're going to run it in a duty holster and put a lot of hard use on it, I see no reason to spend the extra cost for a TLR-1. the 3 may not be as absolutely durable, but how much abuse is a HD gun really going to go through anyway?

Like I said, I've had no problem with the 3 and I highly recommend it!

Hmm, that does make sense. However, I was thinking after I posted, if I switch my bedside gun over to a Glock 17 or 22 it would be nice to have the larger of the 2 lights and not have to buy another one.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I use TLR-1 on my duty gun, I want the weight and brighter light. I use TLR-3 on my carry gun because it is more compact and easier to conceal. For bedside duty use TLR-1, for carry use TLR-3.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I use TLR-1 on my duty gun, I want the weight and brighter light. I use TLR-3 on my carry gun because it is more compact and easier to conceal. For bedside duty use TLR-1, for carry use TLR-3.
I agree

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks for that, makes sense. I guess I'll go for the 1HL. Put it on 3.8 compact and if I "upgrade" I can just put it on the new gun.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Thanks for that, makes sense. I guess I'll go for the 1HL. Put it on 3.8 compact and if I "upgrade" I can just put it on the new gun.
I would go for the TLR-1s instead of the HL for bedside use. Have you ever used a 630 lumen light indoors? It'll blind you due to reflection off walls. The HL is better suited for outdoor use such as on a rifle. The TLR-1s at 300 lumens is as bright as I would want on a bedside gun, it is bright enough to start washing stuff out at the 20ft you'll see inside a house...
Your choice but that's my observations from owning the TLR-1s at 300 lumens, TLR-3 at 125 lumens, EagleTac handlight at 500 lumens, and a large handlight at 1,000 lumens. Over 300 lumens indoor is overkill and potentially counter-productive, especially if you just woke up.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would go for the TLR-1s instead of the HL for bedside use. Have you ever used a 630 lumen light indoors? It'll blind you due to reflection off walls. The HL is better suited for outdoor use such as on a rifle. The TLR-1s at 300 lumens is as bright as I would want on a bedside gun, it is bright enough to start washing stuff out at the 20ft you'll see inside a house...
Your choice but that's my observations from owning the TLR-1s at 300 lumens, TLR-3 at 125 lumens, EagleTac handlight at 500 lumens, and a large handlight at 1,000 lumens. Over 300 lumens indoor is overkill and potentially counter-productive, especially if you just woke up.

True that is something to take into consideration. I have read some stuff about what you just pointed out, as well as YouTube videos, some say there is such a thing as too bright of a light inside the house others say not so much. so I guess maybe personal preference?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts