Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

Getting a little older and such I have some trouble keeping the gun steady free-handed and gaining a solid site picture. It obviously becomes more apparent for longer (50yds +) shots. It also slows down my shots while I struggle to get a reasonable site picture. I am using a red dot - which is clear and bright (a Primary Arms) and is not the problem in my opinion.

At the range yesterday I tried a variety of hand positions, but wasnt real satisfied.

I know there is no magic answer, but was wondering if there is different hand positions I might try, I dont have a VFG - would that help? Other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Left hand ~midway+ down the rail, thumb forward, palm under and fingers lightly against the opposite rail. I try to pull it back into my shoulder with my right hand

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Folks

Getting a little older and such I have some trouble keeping the gun steady free-handed and gaining a solid site picture. It obviously becomes more apparent for longer (50yds +) shots. It also slows down my shots while I struggle to get a reasonable site picture. I am using a red dot - which is clear and bright (a Primary Arms) and is not the problem in my opinion.

At the range yesterday I tried a variety of hand positions, but wasnt real satisfied.

I know there is no magic answer, but was wondering if there is different hand positions I might try, I dont have a VFG - would that help? Other ideas?

Thanks

-Elbows in tight
-Use a sling, but not *too* tight

A picture of how you're stance/hold is would help to see what you are doing

·
Registered
464 Posts
If I'm understanding right, you're using your back arm to pull the rifle into your shoulder. I'm no expert, but I was always taught to pull a rifle/shotgun into your shoulder with your foreward arm. The rearward hand should be able to move away and the gun stay in place and firm in the shoulder. If you're rail is uncomfortable or you can't get a good grip on it to facilitate this, a foreward grip may help.

For different grips: I've seen people move the foreward hand way out near the end of the hand guard. Supposedly helps with shooting on the move. I tend to pull my foreward arm in close and tuck my elbow to my torso when just standing if there is no support. For the AR or my STG, I'll grip the magazine area. Or if I have a sling, I'll use it with my hand further out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem for me with using a sling is that the sling attachment on the Daniel Defense on the barrel attachment nut end of the rail and that doesnt give you any leverage with any of the techniques shown in the link you attached.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
You can also hold the front of the magwell with your secondary hand.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with John A. And move the butt stock closer to the center of your chest with your elbows tucked. That may be a bit different than what you were taught. Its typically a British SAS style but i was taught by an ex SAS commando during a sub gun class and to me it feels more natural and steady.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some very good input which I will try. I had tried not to use the magwell as a grasp point because I thought that may cause feeding problems. I will certainly try that though. I did order a new sling mount and will work on my elbow and butt stock positions as suggested.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Folks

Thanks
I push my support hand out as far on the handguard as I can reach that makes it easier to move the muzzle from target to target.

Here is a pro doing it better.
YouTube - NoveskeShootingTeam's Channel

The magwell grasp sucks because you have less leverage on the gun when making transitions from target to target. It was designed to help control the gun on a single target in full auto at close range.
Pat

·
Registered
49 Posts
I can see some validity to your point. Being on swat we carried full auto and trained in close quarter engagements. But i had no issues being agile with the rifle and moving it where i needed it to go

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
I can see some validity to your point. Being on swat we carried full auto and trained in close quarter engagements. But i had no issues being agile with the rifle and moving it where i needed it to go
Its a different situation. When you are working an entry team like I assume you were, you probably covered zones (First guy in when left or right, next guy goes the opposite and the third guy does a partial penetration into the middle of the room) which narrowed your area of responsibility down which would make having to shoot multiple threats over a larger area less likely. You were probably more concerned about having full control in full auto.
Pat

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
sling, I like daniel defense sling swivels rail attachments, to each their own. mines attached 2 inches in front of the reciever.

I have an AFG at the end of the raild, my thumb goes over the left rail, pushing down pointing forward, my pointer wraps around the end of the rail middle finger on top of the bottom rail pushing down, and ring and pinky are in the hole int he grip pulling down. If you have small hands I don't believe you could comfortably get your hands in this position, my hands are XXL in wileyx gloves.(and frog and oakleys btw)

IMO shooting standing a grip pod sucks, a lot of guys hold like the AFG with a knights armament one putting hand on rail, and palm on foregrip. or grab the foregrip whatever works.

IMO magazine well destabilizes you.

If you want to change things up for you, yoga isn't a bad way to help stability.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Alaskapopo. We rarely trained on anything over 50 yards mostly inside 25. I guess i didn't pay attention to ***** entire post. I missed where he said 50+ yards. At 100 and beyond i do extend farther out and have a wider base unless I'm moving and shooting. The team I'm on now primarily provides movement security for search and rescue operations

1 - 17 of 17 Posts