Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a trigger gage. I chose to get the Timney "armorers gage" as I have revolvers that I feared could go over the 10-12 pound maximum of most other entry level gages. This one goes up to 25 pounds and still records the weight down to the nearest 4oz. It also comes at a reasonable price (about $35 delivered). I spent some time getting the technique down and seem to have fairly consistent results now.

Timney Armorers Trigger Pull Gage 1 lb to 25 lb

I spent an hour or two recording "3 pull" averages for my guns. I don't really have any firearms that need to be tuned down to the ounce, but it is interesting to have numbers associated with my impressions prior to having this gage. For those "nerdy" types, this piece of gear is quite entertaining.

A few surprises: I knew my Kahr CW380 had a good trigger for a DAO gun. 5.5 lbs, is lighter than I thought. My Taurus/Rossi lever gun has a consistent pull of 4.25 lbs. My son's RIA entry level 1911 was right at 4 lbs. Other findings were expected. My XDS had a weight of 6.75 and my G27 came in at 5.5. My blue label G35 was a bit better at 4.75. Even my newer specimen of a Ruger GP100 had decent numbers at 9.25(DA) and 3.25(SA).

I was talking with a manager at my LGS about trigger gages. He thought it would be a good addition for the store. He ordered one a bit nicer (a digital Lyman gage). Soon, I hope to post results from guns "in the case". I expect even more surprises then.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I've been eyeballing a Lyman digital myself. I don't like squirting to read :-D

Test a Moisin out on it! That's usually comedy.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Lyman looks nice. It is the one my LGS ordered. It has memory, can do averages, etc. It also is close to twice the price of my Timney. Mine also goes a good bit higher. I suspect it could even test a Moisin. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts