Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a very happy and satisfied owner of an XD45SCP Service. Love the gun, no issues whatsoever. I recently started shooting matches and plan on shooting alot more of them. I figure I need to make two major changes:

1) 45ACP is expensive! I can't help but think that every pull of the trigger is equivalent to throwing a quarter down range. While I do reload, I think I'd just as soon be able to shoot a cheaper, smaller round out of the box.

2) An extra inch of sight radius would be very nice.

So I've been looking at some STI and Para race guns, but I really think I'd prefer to use a more 'standard' pistol. I love my current XD, so a new XD might be just the ticket.

I'm considering an XD tactical in 9MM or 40. My other option would be the XDM in 40 with a conversion barrel, or just wait until the 9MM is available.

Any USPSA/IDPA shooters using the tactical or the XDM that would like to share their thoughts?

Mods after the fact would be a new trigger and maybe some new sights.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If it was me id go with the M. I'd be split between 40, cause i already have one and keeps ammo simple, and the 9 to have 19+1 and cheap ammo. my .02

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Sounds like your best bet is a 9mm. The xdm is an awesome pistol, but .40 isn't any cheaper than .45 so your not gaining anything by going that route.

Basically I would say it depends on whether you want to get the pistol asap, in which case I say go for the 9mm tactical, or if you would be willing to wait till the xdm comes out in 9mm. Personally I would wait till the xdm 9mm came out, but your mileage may vary. . .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically I would say it depends on whether you want to get the pistol asap, in which case I say go for the 9mm tactical, or if you would be willing to wait till the xdm comes out in 9mm. Personally I would wait till the xdm 9mm came out, but your mileage may vary. . .
Yeah, that appears to be the issue. I figure if I go the 9mm tactical, I will probably try to buy used and swap out the barrel, trigger, sights, etc. If I wait for the XDM I may not need any of those adjustments.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Could get the .40 to 9mm Pistol Gear conversion barrel if you buy the XDM-40.... i got the pistol gear barrel conversion for my XD40 to shoot once in a while in USPSA matches if I'm low on $ to get .40 ammo.. thats why im getting the XDM-9 to complete my XD Family

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I am not sure if the XDm is any more accurate than the XD or not. But on the surface it would seem like the XD Tactical might be a bit more accurate in that it would be a 1/2" longer and at least that much more sight radius. I do not have the experience that many other on here have so I will leave that discussion up to those more qualified than I. Just my casual observation and I would love to hear what the other have to say about it.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I own and carry an XD9 service model, 4". I own and compete with an XD9 tactical, 5". The tactical has a Springfield match grade barrel and competition trigger. Plus it has the heavy guide rod and Trigicon sights. It is my bedside security and my competition pistol (Yes, us old men do still have an ego). It'll be the one that they pull from my cold dead fingers (whether from natural causes or otherwise).

Those three pale green eyes lying next to my bed at night give a very secure feeling. And, they are a real treat to this old man's waining vision on the range.

You young folks really don't appreciate all of the virtues of being young. Your day will come, if your as lucky as I am.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I shoot my XD9 Tactical Blk 5" in our matches. I have yet to add any upgrades and the gun performs great... trigger control, sight picture, etc. well that's a different story :???:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The XDm 9mm will have a match grade barrel just like the XDm .40 does. I'd wait it out and get an XDm tactical in 9mm.
First I would not recommend a 9mm for a comp. gun as you will just not be able to reach the major PF with any 9mm round. Having said that the XD(M)40 is made for competition shooting with it's higher capacity improved mag release and adjustable grip. I doubt you will find much difference between the 4.5" XD(M) barrel and the 5" tactical barrel. There are already trigger kits and mag wells available for the XD(M) and they will fit any XD holster. Go for an XD(M) 40 and save your pennies for a nice Dillon 550B press.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think I'm going with the XD9 Tactical... for IPSC.

First, in "Production" Class, there is no Major Catagory, and everyone shoots 9mm for the recoil control. If I move to Limited Class, I'll shoot my 45.

Second, most of the shooting is inside of 15yds, and <1 inch more accuarcy at 25yds with the match barrel doesn't add up to the extra $100-$150 for the M.

For the added cost of the M, I'd opt for a XD9 Tactical, with a Powder River Trigger, and a match grade barrel swap... You'll get a faster shooting shorter reset, and over travel stop, than the M, and similar, if not more accuracy, for a few bucks more.

My 2 cents...

But then I shoot my first match this weekend!!!! Still learnig.

Jeff

·
Registered
969 Posts
if i were to do it again, i would serioulsy consider the xdm9. I love that thing. its harder for me to talk the wife into another xd but I am still trying hehe.

remember the free mag promotion (there was another thread about it)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts