Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done depriming, resizing, repriming and belling case mouths on 550 .45acp rounds...took almost 3 hrs and they are not even loaded rounds yet!!! Time for a turret...or progressive...a little nervous about both tho as I have never even seen one work. But for the amount of reloading that I am doing for the number of guns I have...I think its time...

Sorry...small vent session...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
when I was faced with same decision - upgrade from single stage to either turret or progressive, I chose progressive. For me, turret just seemed like not much of an improvement over single stage. Got a Hornady LNL AP last year, and have been very happy with it. I still use my old RCBS JR-2 single stage for 41 and 44 magnums, and also for working up new loads for the hungrier guns.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are you going to get?
Have no clue...have never even bothered looking at them. But now that my collection is growing rather quickly I am SO SO far behind on loading that I may never get it done at this rate!! LOL

Not sure where to even start other than reading up on the different ones that are out there and try to get a feel for how the two (Turret and Progressives) work, how they are similar and different and see which one would be my best buy...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Well there's pretty much 4 choices.
The Lee Classic Turret
Dillon 550b
Dillon 650
Hornady LNL

The progressives are a lot more money than the turret, but they'll turn out more than double.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
IMO, if you have been reloading on the ss press, the next logical step is a progressive, not a turret. AS good as the LCT is, it's nto a progressive. So if yo uhave the funds, a 550, LNL or 650 in that order. If you want a case feeder, skip the 550- & go to the LNL or 650. The 550 is a great press for the guy that loads a bunch of calibers & changes often, very simple & caliber cahnges are cheaper than a 650. The LNL is in the middle, good press, runs fine w/ or w/o a case feeder, not quite as smooth priming as a 650 but cheaper, maybe $120 equally equip.
SO how much ammo do you need & how fast? The 550 is dead bang simple to use & easily gets 450rds/hr. The LNL w/o case feeder about the same. Add the case feeder & you are pushing the 600rds/hr mark easily. The 650 w/ case feeder will easily get you to 700rds/hr+. This assumes everything goes 100% right & that is rare for an hour session. There always seems to be a case getting stuck, primer doing something wierd or whatever. Then just let your wallet be your guide. Run from anyone trying to sell you a Lee. Yes they can make good ammo, but you have to love to tinker more than reload IMO. Besides, when you decide to give up reloading, your Dillon stuff will have actually appreciated in value, the Lee, well they make a great door stop, if the wind isn't blowing too hard.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMO, if you have been reloading on the ss press, the next logical step is a progressive, not a turret. AS good as the LCT is, it's nto a progressive. So if yo uhave the funds, a 550, LNL or 650 in that order. If you want a case feeder, skip the 550- & go to the LNL or 650. The 550 is a great press for the guy that loads a bunch of calibers & changes often, very simple & caliber cahnges are cheaper than a 650. The LNL is in the middle, good press, runs fine w/ or w/o a case feeder, not quite as smooth priming as a 650 but cheaper, maybe $120 equally equip.
SO how much ammo do you need & how fast? The 550 is dead bang simple to use & easily gets 450rds/hr. The LNL w/o case feeder about the same. Add the case feeder & you are pushing the 600rds/hr mark easily. The 650 w/ case feeder will easily get you to 700rds/hr+. This assumes everything goes 100% right & that is rare for an hour session. There always seems to be a case getting stuck, primer doing something weird or whatever. Then just let your wallet be your guide. Run from anyone trying to sell you a Lee. Yes they can make good ammo, but you have to love to tinker more than reload IMO. Besides, when you decide to give up reloading, your Dillon stuff will have actually appreciated in value, the Lee, well they make a great door stop, if the wind isn't blowing too hard.
Thanks fredj338! From what you are saying it sounds like the 550 would be the one that would work for me. If I could do 400 - 500 rounds an hr I would be happy and would be able to keep up with my habbit...lol Would like something that is easy, I don't want to spend a month trying to figure out how to use it. Also would like something that is dependable...as I said I don't know anything about these or how they even work so I have some learning to do. I do load several calibers from .357, .44, .40 (lots), .45 (lots) handguns and .223/5.56 (lots), .270, 22-284 (wildcat) and .300 H&H Mag.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The 550, 650, SDB & RCBS are all reliable, but they vary in complexity. The more stuff the machine does, the greater potential for problems. It's why I like the 550 so much, manual indexing makes it very simple & reliable. Some that haven't used one think it's a handicap over the auto indexing, but it just isn't. There is little to no speed advatnage w/ auto vs manual, you still have to place the bullet by hand & the manual is indexed while doing that. Look at some of the Utube videos on each & that will help you see how they run.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You will LOVE the RL550-B. Been loading on one for almost 20 years now. Good stuff. :)

Here's a little video for you... reloading pr0n? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts