Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here have any experience with the Baretta Tikka T3 rifles? I'm been looking at them on Gallery of Guns and think it might be a good one to get back into deer hunting with. Thinking of .308 or 30.06 but leaning more towards the .308. Its either that or a Winchester Model 70 or a Ruger Hawkeye. All wood stocks. I don't care for synthetic. Right now the Winchesters in the lead followed by the Ruger. I had a Winchester in 7 mm mag with a synthetic stock at one time. I really liked it except for the stock but 7 mm was a bit too much for whitetails. Opinions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I've never shot one, but I have a friend who owns a T3 in .300 Win short mag. He's got one with a synthetic stock. He swears by it. From the groups i've seen him put up I'm sure the rifle will do its part as long as you do yours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I own a Tikka T3 lite (stainless barrel) and it is without a doubt the best rifle I have ever shot. Mine is in the .270 WSM and it is my favorite round for deer hunting. More than enough power (kicks harder than a 30.06) since its a short mag and the .270 bullet has a super flat trajectory. Put a good quality scope on it and I promise you will not be disappointed. The bolt action is super smooth on the Tikka. Very well built rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never shot one, but I have a friend who owns a T3 in .300 Win short mag. He's got one with a synthetic stock. He swears by it. From the groups i've seen him put up I'm sure the rifle will do its part as long as you do yours.
I swear by mine as well, the shot groups I have put out with this gun, even at longer distances is amazing. Great gun.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have a 30.06 T3 with Leupold glass, and I'll be damned if it isn't possibly the best gun I've ever held.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
My uncle has a Tikka T3 in 270 Winny and I have shot it several times.

Very well made and very accurate.

This past winter, we took it and my lightly modded M700 in 270, to the range and shot many of his handloads.

If you are going to use it for deer here in Texas, have you considered looking at the 270 Winchester caliber, instead? Flatter-shooting and less recoil than the 30-06 (I have one of those, too). Very accurate as well.

The 270 kills deer and pigs like lightning, too. It is my go-to gun for serious deer hunting and the 270 has never let me down. Neither has my 06, but the 270 does it with less recoil.

If the T3 appeals to you...go for it. Its a very well made rifle. I want one in 6.5x55mm Swede.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to own a Remington 7600 in 270 Winchester and I like the caliber. I'm wanting .308 for more range of bullet weights.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may go ahead and get a Tikka. Can't beat the price. And there are doubts about keeping this lease next year so I may not need one next year.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to Gander Mountain today and looked at a Tikka in 30.06. Nice gun and really liked it. Then saw a Weatherby Vanguard in 30.06. Liked it too. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Injust took delivery of a Tikka T3 Hunter and my first impression was excellent.
My only problem is the allen wrench they supplied for the scope rings does not fit. I have tried at least 15 different allen wrenches!!! I am not able to loosen the rings to install my scope. If anyone has any suggestions please email me at [email protected]. The heads of the bolts do not even look like an allen head.

·
Registered
877 Posts
They are probably "torx" bits, or "security" bits. Do a google search for torx bits and see if that looks like them. Local parts stores would sell them.

Had a set of rings myself that used a torx bit

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes...many quality scope rings DO use Torx head screws.

Time to buy a set for the tool box.

- brickboy240

1 - 12 of 12 Posts