Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've discovered that my new XD 9mm Tactical has a really tight chamber. This is great for nail driving performance using factory loads. However, I am reloading and most of the brass I pick up off the range has been shot by the unsupported Glock barrel.

Even though all my reloads pass through my 9mm gage, my XD barrel has tighter tolerances and the reload is a little bigger just above the extractor groove than a factory load.

I do not want to modify the gun, which leaves me with the following options: 1) shoot only factory ammo, 2) fix the problem at my press, or 3) by some sort of roller thingy that some guys at the range talked about.

After talking with my gunsmith buddy, he suggest milling off the bottom of my number 1 station resize die. This would basically mill off some of the taper inside my die that is causing the problem. However, I may also have problems getting the brass to feed up into the die (this is why there is a taper).

My other solution to fixing the problem at the press, is to buy a factory crip sizing die that would replace my standard crimp die. I believe I would still have to mill off the taper at the bottom in order to resize down to the extractor groove, however, the bullet itself should help to feed the round up into the die.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Darren

·
Registered
259 Posts
Third option, shoot factory ammo, save the brass out of you gun and use it to reload, you will not have to worry about Glock swollen cases. It can be loaded many times before it is worn out, especialy if you use light loads for practice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty much EVERYONE in my club shoots Glocks. One of the main reasons why I switched to 9mm from my 38 Super was to be able to take advantage of all the 9mm brass that was lying around (and not have to do the chicken walk with my Super).

DM

PS: I guess I could have just bought the Glock 34, however, I still love shooting my 1911 and hate the feel of the Block!

Old School said:
It may be easier to find once-fired brass that was not shot from a Glock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a solution, but this puts me back doing the chicken walk. ....and it's even worse because now I have to find MY 9mm brass out of an even bigger pile of 9mm brass. ...it was just easier to search for my Supers than try to sort out a bunch of 9s.
DM

xd4zero said:
Third option, shoot factory ammo, save the brass out of you gun and use it to reload, you will not have to worry about Glock swollen cases. It can be loaded many times before it is worn out, especialyl if you use light loads for practice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I know I can just pick up everything and then throw away the Glock brass (as identified by the rectangle fireing pin strike. ....but I just hate throwing away all that brass!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your XD runs it fine? I wonder if I should send mine in and have them open up the chamber a thousandth or two?

Old School said:
I understand. Some of the brass I reload is from Glocks. I have never had trouble with them.

OS

PS: Post picture of chicken walk.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I have a solution. Go to your local store and pick up a 10'x10' tarp. Pull the trigger and watch where the brass lands. Place tarp around that area to catch your brass. When you are done, fold up the tarp and go home. Simple.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I have 4000 rounds of reloads through my XD, a lot of it from Glocks. I never had a problem. I do lube my cases before loading. I have no idea if that helps or not. It may.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Old School said:
PS: Post picture of chicken walk.

Chicken walk....you know, the guy that is bent over, walking around, bobbing up and down, searching for, and picking up his brass. :lol:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Old School said:
Do you pick the brass up with your pecker, like a chicken picking up corn?
No, but there is so much once-Glock-shot brass lying around that I can almost pick it up with a shovel. Sure 9mm is cheap at Wally World (about $0.12 each), however, I can press it even less than this PLUS get the load that I want and the satisfaction of knowing I made my own rounds. ...plus I have to justify spending over a grand on all my Dillon stuff, right?

Darren

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The factory crimp die was what I was talking about earlier. I have not tried it yet, but two different guys have them at my range and both said it will not fix my problem. However, I think I can mill off the bottom of the factory crimp die and get it to work....I was hoping someone else might have experience doing this.

Regarding the roll sizer, don't know anything about it. I need to do some more research. Someone said something about a roll sizer that would hook up to my Dillon case feeder??

Darren

40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Have you tried a Lee Factory Crimp Die? Or you could try to find someone with a roll sizer.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Okay so I'm a brass whore, there I said it I can't walk buy a peice of brass without picking it up, and I use the factory crimp die, and a case gage for every thing I reload. I might find one or two every once and a while that need to be tossed. The crimp die fixes most of them right up, and if you have one you might as well try it.
I don't know if you can mill the bottom of the die, it's got a carbide insert, and I don't know how well that will mill.
The rollsizer that I'm thinking of, as far as I know is'n't being made anymore. They were made somewhere in Wisconsin, I think they where called a "Case Pro 1000", and I think they went out of busness a few years ago. If you could find one your Dillon casefeeder will work on it.
I know a couple of people that have them and they are pretty slick, just glad I can get by with a crimp die.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you think the factory crimp die sizes all the way down to the extractor groove? ...because if there is a taper, it probably won't. I guess for $20 or less, I might as well give it a try. Which brand do you recommend?

Regarding milling the carbide insert, my gunsmith is also a tool-and-die maker...he said he could work his magic if the milling resulted in the carbide insert falling out (which he thought it might).

Brass whore....yeah, that pretty much describes me too.

I'll look into the Case PRo.

Thanks,
Darren

40SWXDSHOOTER said:
Okay so I'm a brass whore, there I said it I can't walk buy a peice of brass without picking it up, and I use the factory crimp die, and a case gage for every thing I reload. I might find one or two every once and a while that need to be tossed. The crimp die fixes most of them right up, and if you have one you might as well try it.
I don't know if you can mill the bottom of the die, it's got a carbide insert, and I don't know how well that will mill.
The rollsizer that I'm thinking of, as far as I know is'n't being made anymore. They were made somewhere in Wisconsin, I think they where called a "Case Pro 1000", and I think they went out of busness a few years ago. If you could find one your Dillon casefeeder will work on it.
I know a couple of people that have them and they are pretty slick, just glad I can get by with a crimp die.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have the Lee Factory Crimp Die, and I don't know if anyone else makes one. I don't think it goes that far down, I think it stops flush with the shell plate. I'd just try it you have nothing to lose, and if that dosen't work then you could try having it milled down.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought you guys would be interested in seeing Lee's response to my problem. ....they came up with the same two solutions that I and my gunsmith had.

Darren

Subject:Re: Reloaded brass jams in new Springfield XD

First, try adjusting the sizing die so that it makes contact with the
shellholder (shellplate) when the ram is all the way up. This will
resize the cartridge case as much as is possible with the standard
die. If this doesn't work there are two options. One would be to
use the Carbide Factory crimp die, which posts sizes the cartridge
after the bullet has been seated. They are available from most
dealers, and retail for under $20. The other option would be to dust
off the base of the sizing die, to remove some of the chamfer. This
will allow the sizing die to size farther down the cartridge case,
but will make cartridge alignment more critical, as there won't be as
large a hole to guide the case into the die.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts