Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is it ridiculous?
Short story: I want to replace my old Mossberg 500 Persuader (thier name, not mine) and a Remmy 870 riot gun (again, not my nomenclature) that have been lost to circumstances (the ex took em and sold em). The new "riot gun" is called a "Home Defense" shotgun and I'm cool with that. The only problem is that they all come with synthetic stocks/fore ends and I REALLY like wood stocks on my guns. It's not a deal-breaker if the price is right, but to change a stock and fore end is gonna be a couple hundo no matter what.

I'm seeing thumbhole stocks for 870s and 500s on Boyd's for $65, fore ends for $49. The solid laminate stocks are a bit higher at $79. Has anyone ever shot a thumbhole-stocked 12 gauge? Is it weird? Is there any point or advantage to it? The laminates look cool as sh*t, but does the thumbhole configuration translate well to a 12 gauge? Will it hold up to butt-stroking an ISIS a-hole? That sounded weird even as I typed it.

BTW, when I bought the "Persuader" 25 yrs ago i chucked the included pistol grip into the dumpity-do-dah...I ain't THAT guy.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Have you thought of looking for an older per owned gun with wood. I picked up my 12ga for under 150 in decent condition. Good luck in your searching either way.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been checking the local pre-owned racks but havent come across anything that really knocked my socks off price-, feature-, or condition-wise. Armslist prices are screwy for long guns in my area. I'll keep looking and when I'm tired of looking I'll probably just suck it up and buy new.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Personally I think they're useless on a shotgun, especially one being tasked for HD.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Especially a 500. Puts the safety out of reach.

I can't honestly think of a reason for thumbholes to exist...

Oh, you can always get a Mossberg 500 combo! Comes with a 28" accu choke barrel and an 18.5" cylinder bore barrel. And American walnut stocks.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I don't like thumb hole stocks. No real reason. I just don't like the looks of them.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Weinerglove? I just added a new vocabulary word.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any vintage wood on gun broker some weinerglove took off for mall ninja stuff?
Haven't looked on Gunbroker, but Havlin has some nice checkered walnut take-offs for sale @ 95 bux/set...not bad. I hadn't thought about the safety on top of the receiver on the M-berg...good catch.

I like the look of the laminate stocks, and the thumbhole cutout shows you more layers and looks cool. But I'd have to agree...not a good item for a shotgun. Maybe on a .22

HA! Wienerglove just bumped douche-canoe from my personal lexicon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts