Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
SA (Springfield Armory) says no. Practice with it and you won't miss the thumb safety in the slightest. I'm glad mine doesn't have it.

PS - This is one of those issues like caliber where everyone has their opinion and likes to argue about it, so don't be surprised if this thread blows up. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
I wish mine did have a thumb safety. Practicing slipping off the safety shouldn't make the draw more slow or awkward. Many regularly do this on 1911s and other guns without much difficulty. You can always leave it off if preferred and those worried about putting it on accidentally could remove it and leave it in the box.
Police have had theirs grabbed out of their holsters by people who tried to shoot them but couldn't because it wouldn't go off.
Many people, including me, have found that moving their thumb to the top of the safety and keeping it there while firing keeps them from pulling the gun off target at the last instant greatly improves accuracy.
I don't find this nearly as much of a problem with the excellent XD grip and you can fake it some by just putting your thumb up there but would like to at least try the M grip hold with safety when the XD-M comes out in 45.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought my XD 45 like a month ago. I was just wondering if the thumb safety could be installed on my gun. does anyone know and know how much? thanks
Simple answer is...NO

The bottom line is that it is cheaper to buy a new XD with the thumb safety than to have your current XD altered. The changes are fairly substantial and costly to do.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Practice with it and you won't miss the thumb safety in the slightest. I'm glad mine doesn't have it.
I couldn't agree more with the King. I bought a 45C without one had trouble with Condition 0 carry so I carried in condition 3 or reverted back to my 1911. I was really close to buying a Service w/safety and having it chopped. Instead I also spent a lot of quality time disassembling the XD to understand how the safeties work. To get more comfortable I took several classes and ran lots of drills until I had complete trust in the weapon and in my handling of it.

I'm a real 1911 fan but my XD is my carry gun.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
The thumb safety mimics the 1911 type pistols. Those whom are comfortable with a thumb safety will feel comfortable with the XD thumb safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts