Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't anyone know if the XD 9mm 4" blk w/10rd magazine comes with a thumb safety? I've been looking around and can't seem to find one. I have a feeling that there isn't one made. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
A thumb safety on the XD/XDm/XDs pistols is unnecessary and redundant with the trigger safety and grip safety IMO. I know 1911 pistols have a grip safety and a thumb safety, but there is no trigger safety on them and they are hammer fired vs striker fired. Most hammer fired pistols that I know of have a thumb safety. As for striker fired pistols it is and toss up of whether they do or not.

Besides there are so few thumb safety XD pistols that there are virtually no aftermarket internal parts available.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
A thumb safety on the XD/XDm/XDs pistols is unnecessary and redundant with the trigger safety and grip safety IMO. I know 1911 pistols have a grip safety and a thumb safety, but there is no trigger safety on them and they are hammer fired vs striker fired. Most hammer fired pistols that I know of have a thumb safety. As for striker fired pistols it is and toss up of whether they do or not.

Besides there are so few thumb safety XD pistols that there are virtually no aftermarket internal parts available.
Thus the invention of "glock leg". Because striker fired is SO safe, you don't need a manual safety :roll:

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Thus the invention of "glock leg". Because striker fired is SO safe, you don't need a manual safety :roll:
Especially on one that has a "safe action trigger..." :)
To me the grip safety that is disengaged as you grip the gun works better with proper trigger discipline on my carry guns. The main time I rely on the grip safety is when I holster as I place my thumb on the back of the slide and disengage the grip safety. I know safety is all in my head and and that mechanical safeties can and have failed and follow the 4 gun safety rules. My dad and brother have M&P pistols and out of the 4 only my dad's 9c does not have a safety. I struggle sometimes with the first shot because my self defense training is with my Springfields with no thumb safeties. It is just a matter of training my thumb to disengage the manual safety but I choose to carry guns where I can eliminate this step in a SD situation.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
BusyCharlie, I like thumb safeties and I prefer them most of the time. But with a grip safety and a trigger set up like they have I feel 100% comfortable with my XDs.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
As long as you keep the booger picker off the trigger then you are good... that's the safety
And clearly people don't.

Especially on one that has a "safe action trigger..." :)
To me the grip safety that is disengaged as you grip the gun works better with proper trigger discipline on my carry guns. The main time I rely on the grip safety is when I holster as I place my thumb on the back of the slide and disengage the grip safety. I know safety is all in my head and and that mechanical safeties can and have failed and follow the 4 gun safety rules. My dad and brother have M&P pistols and out of the 4 only my dad's 9c does not have a safety. I struggle sometimes with the first shot because my self defense training is with my Springfields with no thumb safeties. It is just a matter or training my thumb to disengage the manual safety but I choose to carry guns where I can eliminate this step in a SD situation.
Me too, and my M&P 45 has the thumb safety.

The trigger safeties are a joke on all brands including my beloved XD's, mechanical safeties DO fail, but far less often than "mental safeties". I learned on a 1911 so I swipe off the safety as I draw regardless of whether that particular pistol has one or not. Only time I ever tried to fire a "safed gun" was the embarrassing first shots with the Walther P22 and it's slide mounted safety. The very heavy DA pull on the Walther and Mosquito ( also a slide mounted safety ) allow me to never even bother using the safety on those pistols.

As I grow older and more experienced I find:
I want a hammer.
I want a manual safety.
I DON'T want foatys lol.

Strikers have thier place in the world of advertising, they can produce numbers that are cheaper, lighter and smaller, but only the cheaper to produce cost amounts to anything useful IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I found that moving to the polymer guns from 1911's, that the thumb safety on the XD was familiar. Also, I shoot high thumbed and it just felt better. This grip of mine is so ingrained that with my Glocks or even the new lil XDS I will inadvertently keep the slide release from engaging. What's the saying? Old dog, new tricks?

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
Springfield Armory X-treme Duty .45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel Blue Finish Tactical Model with Ambo Thumb Safety. I think that is the only model XD made that does have that required and very necessary ambo thumb safety. Mine does. HB of CJ (old coot)

Eventually we will find out the truth regarding all the gunshot wounds caused by the Glock platform not having all the necessary safety systems required by good old fashioned non intelligent accident prone human beings. Until then who knows?

In my humble case, I was brought up on the 1911 platform, so that thumb safety is very necessary for me. It is muscle mental memory that I will probably never burn through, particularly at my advanced age. That is why my pistols have ambo thumb safeties.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Springfield Armory X-treme Duty .45 ACP 5 Inch Barrel Blue Finish Tactical Model with Ambo Thumb Safety. I think that is the only model XD made that does have that required and very necessary ambo thumb safety. Mine does. HB of CJ (old coot)

Eventually we will find out the truth regarding all the gunshot wounds caused by the Glock platform not having all the necessary safety systems required by good old fashioned non intelligent accident prone human beings. Until then who knows?

In my humble case, I was brought up on the 1911 platform, so that thumb safety is very necessary for me. It is muscle mental memory that I will probably never burn through, particularly at my advanced age. That is why my pistols have ambo thumb safeties.
I very much don't like the ambi safeties, you probobly have already heard the reasons.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
If that blanket makes ya feel more secure, got for it!

Reactions: warbird1

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
There are in fact plenty of 1911s made today that do have the firing pin safety. Since some of the different ways they operate can increase trigger pull weight, there is a vast market for Series 70 style 1911s and some states don't allow their sale.

Whatever the shooter is most comfortable with is up to him. When I had an XDm, I had the Powder River trigger kit in it. Fantastic for punching paper at the range, but maybe a tad light for a defense pistol. I've been shooting and carrying a Ruger SR45 since then. If you like the 1911 manual of arms but want to carry a lighter pistol . . . well, it works for me. With the Ghost trigger Bar Reset that's in mine, there is very little to no take up so it's very much like carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
And never start a paragraph with a conjunction. No ... wait. What I mean is that this here Old Coot starting shooting the 1911 well before most of you were born and if it worked out OK for the 1911 platform as designed, then there must have been a good reason for it to be included. It also seems to work out OK for this here Old Coot.

I am not some Ninja or perhaps Vulcan. I am human. I will get tired. I will get rattled. I will eventually make a mistake. Even with the ambo thumb safety. I also recognize my weaknesses and try to improve upon them the best way I know of. Thus the required and necessary ambo thumb safety on my pistols. And now we have the Crock.

Most dangerous handgun ever designed? Eventually we will know just how many ADs and NDs have occured with Crock handguns ... only becuse they do NOT have that necessary and required ambo thumb safety. Why is it still a great secret? Can you buy voting stock in Crock handguns? Maybe a stock holder can ask. Until then?

Ignore that man behind that curtain. It is just that sometimes intelligent individuals on this Excellent Forum make the most non intelligent statements. This may also include me, but I am defaulting to the premise that people are not perfect in every way and eventually that ambo thumb safety will become a life saver. HB of CJ (old coot)

Do not take this too seriously. It is not meant to be. :) :) :) Also this is a SM XD Forum and the 5" T .45 did have a ambo thumb safety option, which is a good idea. I will NOT share with you the time some Old Coot shoved a pocket rocket Charter Arms .44 Bulldog revolver into his front Levi's 501 pocket ... cocking it!!! Yikes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts