Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im really leaning toward buying a compact .45 but would like to have the thumb safety for a carry gun. I might have springfield do some work on the gun in the future and wonder if I had the grip chopped on a service model if it would void springfield ever performing and mods or if it would somehow void the warrenty on the gun?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm sure Springfield would frown upon the chop. Don't know if it would void the warranty or stop them from working on it though.

Is there a particular reason why you want the thumb safety on a carry gun? Are you transitioning from a 1911? This is just my two cents but I think having the thumb safety would be a big disadvantage as it is one more thing to mess up in the heat of the moment. I really wanted a thumb safety on my XD but in retrospect I'm very glad I didn't get it. It makes everything much simpler, and with the barrel and cocking indicators, there's no question whether or not its ready to rock.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I'm sure Springfield would frown upon the chop. Don't know if it would void the warranty or stop them from working on it though.

Is there a particular reason why you want the thumb safety on a carry gun? Are you transitioning from a 1911? This is just my two cents but I think having the thumb safety would be a big disadvantage as it is one more thing to mess up in the heat of the moment. I really wanted a thumb safety on my XD but in retrospect I'm very glad I didn't get it. It makes everything much simpler, and with the barrel and cocking indicators, there's no question whether or not its ready to rock.
I agree. The XD has the grip safety. It's not going off unless you want it to go off.

As far as the warranty, I'd have to think that they'd really frown upon the grip chop.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that the xd is a relatively safe gun but call it peace of mind for having an idiot proof safety other than keeping your finger off the trigger. I am more concerned about having the gun loose in a vehicle where the trigger could get snagged even possible getting snagged on a piece of clothing or a drawstring from a shirt when reholstering in you're not to careful of counting on the grip safety against ND.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I really wouldn't worry about getting the grip safety. Just get the XD you want and carry it with it cocked with an EMPTY clip. Carry it long enough to show yourself that it's not going to go off. By the way, not to sound like your father, but the gun shouldn't ever be "loose" in a vehicle anyways.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know that a gun shouldn't be loose in vehicle and should be kept in some sort of holster or case when not in use, just sayin that accidents happen and I believe a thumb safety could help to prevent one.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The 'grip chop' is not officially endorsed, but if done correctly it is not necessarily frowned upon - at least on a Service 9mm. There are no moving parts in that area of the gun so just be really careful with cutting it to the correct length and contour. My understanding is that if it breaks due to something unrelated to said chop they will still honor the warranty, and I can't reveal my source on this. YMMV, especially with a .45...

I will say that if I get a Service 9 it will chopped right after function testing, and my XD(m) may get it too one day if they actually introduce a shorter-grip variant :twisted:

That said, there is certainly wrong with playing it safe!

*Personal note/opinion: I have no desire for an XD with a thumb safety even though it is well placed, and never use the ones on my Makarovs except to safely decock them after chambering a round from a mag. If my guns aren't holstered they are in a secure casing of some type. A rumor has it that the thumb safety on the .45 came about from SA trying to get some government contracts but I do not know if that's true.*

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
If the two existing safeties don't prevent an accident, the third thumb safety won't. If you re-holster without touching the grip safety, you won't have to worry about getting something caught in the trigger and having an AD. It ain't a Glock.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
When I re-holster my XD I take my holstering thumb and put it on the back of my slide thus releasing the pressure on the grip safety. No Glock-like AD is going to happen unless you have a complete, and highly unlikely, grip safety failure. NO mechanical safety is or should be considered fool-proof. The best and only safety is the one between your ears!!!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
AFAIK, SA will not warranty any factory part that is modified.. so, if you do the grip chop, they will not warranty your frame, but will warranty everything else..

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
When I re-holster my XD I take my holstering thumb and put it on the back of my slide thus releasing the pressure on the grip safety. No Glock-like AD is going to happen unless you have a complete, and highly unlikely, grip safety failure. NO mechanical safety is or should be considered fool-proof. The best and only safety is the one between your ears!!!!
+1 I reholster that way aswell.

I wouldn't worry about the thumb safety, (the lack of a thumb safety is a featur in my eyes, not a hinderence) trust me, in a SHTF situation you want the least to think about. and nothing is simpler than the pull and pull the XD gives you (pull out of holster, pull trigger)

I cant find it right now, but there is a video online of a jewelry shop owner who was being robbed and he pulled out his gun, but in his quick moveing he didnt fully disengage the thumb safety, and found himself in the back of an ambulence (he ended up being ok btw)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
If the two existing safeties don't prevent an accident, the third thumb safety won't. If you re-holster without touching the grip safety, you won't have to worry about getting something caught in the trigger and having an AD. It ain't a Glock.
And with that said, look at how many law enforcement agencies carry the Glock. I don't hear of too many negligent discharges with them. I'd be willing to say that they see a lot more action than any of us do, as far as carrying their weapons in times of danger.

·
Registered
254 Posts
And with that said, look at how many law enforcement agencies carry the Glock. I don't hear of too many negligent discharges with them. I'd be willing to say that they see a lot more action than any of us do, as far as carrying their weapons in times of danger.
I dunno, I seem to get the sense that most Glock NDs are from LEOs.
Because they are the biggest Glock "user group", simple numerical odds.

And most folks forget, a big percentage of LEOs weren't "gun guys" before they joined the force.

"I'm the only one in this room qualified to handle this Glock 40!" :?

- OS

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Well, I'd like to know about how many of those broke the number one rule. Finger off the trigger until ready to fire ...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Well, I'd like to know about how many of those broke the number one rule. Finger off the trigger until ready to fire ...
Seems biggest risk may be from reholstering, especially plainclothes/undercover LEO's where shirttail or somesuch gets inside trigger guard.

From my comparatively limited experience with IWB and casual clothes, I can see how it could happen, really. Expecially with a short trigger travel like on the Glock.

Indeed, it one of the main reasons I went with XD SC 9 for EDC rather than Glock 26 (the grip safety).

- OS

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I've heard a lot of concern about shirts getting stuck in the trigger guard but have never heard of a case of it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just read on AR15.com of a cop in a patrol car that got hit at 70mph by a drunk driver and his Glock flew into the front area of the passenger compartment and when he picked it up he noticed a live round on the floor. His Glock was empty one round which means it cycled during the impact but did not go off. The XD grip safety would of prevented the cycling, but more to the point that the Glock flew into the front of the car hard enough to cycle and not go off. The XD is fine without the thumb safety. Understand the XD has a grip safety, a trigger safety and a striker block. It won't go off unless you grip it and pull the trigger. If you absolutely want the thumb safety either call SA and see if they would put a thumb safety on a compact or chop the grip of a service model.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I've read a couple of reports where LEOs had the drawcord in their windbreaker get thru the trigger guard, and have a ND when reholstered.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts