Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to let everyone know that it took over three years of incessant dry firing to cause the striker roll pin to develop a fracture. I ordered a bunch from Springer Precision last Saturday and they arrived at my home on Monday. I also ordered a solid guide rod.

The outcome? Excellent recoil absorption, no more fear of striker pin failure, and I'm sure another bunch of years without the need to replace the roll pin. This is an awesome firearm!

P.S. Before the flaming begins regarding the use of snap caps, etc... well, I do use them whenever I have them or remember them but not always.

·
Registered
786 Posts
almost a year and waiting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Please forgive the dumb question but How would i know if my striker retainer pin is broken or starting to break? any particular EARLY symptoms to watch out for?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Please forgive the dumb question but How would i know if my striker retainer pin is broken or starting to break? any particular EARLY symptoms to watch out for?
If it starts coming out the top.

I always take mine out about once a year to clean the striker channel and just replace it because its cheap, but I only do it because I cleaned that area

·
Registered
390 Posts
What size is the roll pin? Wondering if I could get one from my local hardware store.

·
Registered
52 Posts
After researching on xdtalk, I just replaced my roll pin with one from powder river precision last week - preventive. I had no problems before or after, but this seemed like the only "weakness" for the xd line from all I could see.

I was also skeptical about whether or not my pin would break, but thought I should be safer than sorry.

I dry fire a LOT, with and without snap caps.

Most information (including the 'official' size and type of roll pin) you want on the subject of the striker retaining pin is over on this post:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-gun...1245-how-replace-xd-striker-retainer-pin.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine broke after 1000 rounds or so, with very little dry firing. Called Springfield, they sent me a new pin. The one they sent looks just like the one that came in it; if I break it again I'm buying the PRP pins.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine broke after 1000 rounds or so, with very little dry firing. Called Springfield, they sent me a new pin. The one they sent looks just like the one that came in it; if I break it again I'm buying the PRP pins.
Would installing a stronger aftermarket pin be a better idea than waiting for the factoty pin to break which we all know now can break anytime? It may cost us our life it it breaks during emergency situation.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would installing a stronger aftermarket pin be a better idea than waiting for the factoty pin to break which we all know now can break anytime? It may cost us our life it it breaks during emergency situation.
if you have easy access to this part, by all means brother. its so cheap. i hear powder river pin is good but a bit pricier than the others. check it out.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Unless it falls out completely, the gun will still function properly with a broken/cracked pin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts