Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Didn’t read it, but:

1) Filing off the serial number
2) Converting it to full auto
3) Making your own explosive or poisoned bullets.

Did I win?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
1) “Hair triggers”
2) Aggressive accessory stickers or symbols
3) Extended mag baseplates.

I’ll make popcorn now.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Little things can and will be used against you by an overzealous Prosecutor or Jury. Prepare accordingly. Full stop.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got a Bible quote on the back of mine I think that would be OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Thanks for posting but I've read articles like this before and I think they're full of sh!t.

Cite some cases where the shooter in a justified shooting got nailed in court because of the backplate on his gun or STFU, you're just speculating. Or at minimum is the author an attorney who can offer an informed legal perspective? No? Then I don't care what you think.

This is just gunshop genius talk transferred to the internet, some guy blithering away like he knows what he's talking about but mainly likes the sound of his own voice. MAYBE there's a point about modifying a trigger, though I doubt it, but the rest is pure 100% B.S.

·
Registered
29,596 Posts
Thanks for posting but I've read articles like this before and I think they're full of sh!t.

Cite some cases where the shooter in a justified shooting got nailed in court because of the backplate on his gun or STFU, you're just speculating. Or at minimum is the author an attorney who can offer an informed legal perspective? No? Then I don't care what you think.

This is just gunshop genius talk transferred to the internet, some guy blithering away like he knows what he's talking about but mainly likes the sound of his own voice. MAYBE there's a point about modifying a trigger, though I doubt it, but the rest is pure 100% B.S.
Well...they tried to pin a murder charge on that cop that shot David Shaver partially because he had a dust cover that said “You’re F*cked” on his AR15. It want given as the sole reason...but it was tried as a way of painting a less than flattering portrait of the cop's mindset. He did, in fact, lose his job over it as an “unauthorized modification” to his weapon.

But for the most part, I agree with you...but no way I’d have stupid bling like that on my firearms, either.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I have to question #1. I need a definition of "hair trigger" vs. a trigger modified to improve accuracy by reduction of handgun (sight alignment with the target) movement during the trigger pull.

I have a CZ Tactical Sport that would be just crazy to carry for self defense. With a 1&1/2 lb. trigger pull and a loaded weight of 3 lbs. 7 ounces, it would just be crazy to carry. But, a Compact carry pistol with a trigger improved to reduce take up, reduce drag/grittiness and reduce reset is to improve accuracy. After all, shouldn't you be doing what you can to make sure your bullets hit the intended target?

I agree with #2. Not everything that looks cool to some people is cool to everyone.

I take exception with #3 as well. You're carrying the pistol for self defense. That means you might have to use it. I don't know about other brands but CZ sells pistols with extended (+2) base plates on the magazines. Some models have those magazines/base plates right in the box with the new pistol. Now, if the article was more specific and said, "Don't carry those big 40 round drum magazines", or "don't carry those 30 round magazines that are as long as your forearm" I could feel better about the advice. But just to say, "don't carry extended magazines" isn't telling me the guy is considering things as closely as he could be.

Then again, maybe that's why cops are forced to carry pistols with shitty trigger pulls and high capacity magazines - because the people they work for and the people their bosses work for are taking advice from the guy that wrote the article. Just kidding about that, but you've got to admit, we read, over and over about LE pistols for some departments having very poor triggers and most of them carry 9MM pistols with high round count magazines and quite often when there is an officer involved shooting two or three cops will expend 40 or 50 rounds trying to stop a fight. It's a wonder to me more bystanders aren't hit by stray LE bullets.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Well...they tried to pin a murder charge on that cop that shot David Shaver partially because he had a dust cover that said “You’re F*cked” on his AR15. It want given as the sole reason...but it was tried as a way of painting a less than flattering portrait of the cop's mindset. He did, in fact, lose his job over it as an “unauthorized modification” to his weapon.

But for the most part, I agree with you...but no way I’d have stupid bling like that on my firearms, either.
Couple of points.

In the case of the cop the mod, as you said, paints less than a flattering portrait but doesn’t convict.

In the article if the author had cited examples of his position on modifications and cited the case you did he would have at least had some supporting evidence for his assertion. There was none, and without evidence to back up his claim or demonstrated expertise he’s just making noise.

Reactions: p.carter31

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'n not judging the article or author either way but a little common sense is in order.. I'm not going to be sitting in court shelling out $30k+ to an attorney because I thought my carry G19 was way cool with a Punisher slide back plate, Not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have to question #1. I need a definition of "hair trigger" vs. a trigger modified to improve accuracy by reduction of handgun (sight alignment with the target) movement during the trigger pull.

I have a CZ Tactical Sport that would be just crazy to carry for self defense. With a 1&1/2 lb. trigger pull and a loaded weight of 3 lbs. 7 ounces, it would just be crazy to carry. But, a Compact carry pistol with a trigger improved to reduce take up, reduce drag/grittiness and reduce reset is to improve accuracy. After all, shouldn't you be doing what you can to make sure your bullets hit the intended target?

I agree with #2. Not everything that looks cool to some people is cool to everyone.

I take exception with #3 as well. You're carrying the pistol for self defense. That means you might have to use it. I don't know about other brands but CZ sells pistols with extended (+2) base plates on the magazines. Some models have those magazines/base plates right in the box with the new pistol. Now, if the article was more specific and said, "Don't carry those big 40 round drum magazines", or "don't carry those 30 round magazines that are as long as your forearm" I could feel better about the advice. But just to say, "don't carry extended magazines" isn't telling me the guy is considering things as closely as he could be.

Then again, maybe that's why cops are forced to carry pistols with shitty trigger pulls and high capacity magazines - because the people they work for and the people their bosses work for are taking advice from the guy that wrote the article. Just kidding about that, but you've got to admit, we read, over and over about LE pistols for some departments having very poor triggers and most of them carry 9MM pistols with high round count magazines and quite often when there is an officer involved shooting two or three cops will expend 40 or 50 rounds trying to stop a fight. It's a wonder to me more bystanders aren't hit by stray LE bullets.
When cops shoot the wrong person they get a pass not to mention their lawyers are usually covered, when you shoot the wrong person you will fry and will spend your kids inheritance in the process.
If a trigger job helps you not shoot the wrong person, it might be wise to do that.

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
so is this bad?

I'd probably avoid backplates that say "shoot black people" or something similar, especially if you shoot a black person in self defense. Aside from that, or a similarly stupid thing, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Reactions: refugeepj

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'd probably avoid backplates that say "shoot black people" or something similar, especially if you shoot a black person in self defense. Aside from that, or a similarly stupid thing, I wouldn't give it a second thought.
Yea, but a left leaning, anti-gun prosecuting attorney may not feel the same way about your spiffy back plate as you do. You may not go to jail but you might go broke defending you're $5 bling..

·
Registered
18,780 Posts
Yea, but a left leaning, anti-gun prosecuting attorney may not feel the same way about your spiffy back plate as you do. You may not go to jail but you might go broke defending you're $5 bling..
I’d say only if your $5 bling is epically moronic.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts