Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me the difference between a
8-32 and
8-40 screw?

im having problems finding any real call out info on the interwebs :oops::oops:

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Both have a nominal diameter of .164, and one is listed at 32 threads per inch, while the other is 40 threads per inch.

·
Registered
17,488 Posts
Both have a nominal diameter of .164, and one is listed at 32 threads per inch, while the other is 40 threads per inch.
To explain a little further... The first number relates to sizing or the diameter of the screw or bolt. (The higher the number, the bigger the diameter.) The second number is the number of threads per inch. (The higher the number, the finer the threading.)

·
Registered
642 Posts
what those guys said haha

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the diameter wasnt the issue, it just seemed like when ever i tried getting any information over the second number is when i started having problems.

i seem to always come across metric sizing manuals.

i picked up gibbs 03a4 and im trying to rescope it.
they use a 8 40 screw, problem is that is a specialty product and couldnt find any locally. so i had to find some on the internet.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
yeah the diameter wasnt the issue, it just seemed like when ever i tried getting any information over the second number is when i started having problems.

i seem to always come across metric sizing manuals.

i picked up gibbs 03a4 and im trying to rescope it.
they use a 8 40 screw, problem is that is a specialty product and couldnt find any locally. so i had to find some on the internet.
So...you just needed a 8 40 screw? did you order off the internet? If not, let me know the head style and length, and I will send you a handful of them....

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i called leupold and told them my situation, hoping that i could order some from the, , and i was rather amazed - the guy on the phone said that he'd send me some.
he said that im going to have to ream out the base (leupold 4997) to make them fit, but i can do that easily.

he said that they use a 6 32 screw for that base.

but, if all i have to do is ream out my base; ill be happy -- im one step closer to getting a decent scope on my rifle....

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
24 TPI (threads per inch) is National Coarse
32 is National Fine
40 is National Extra Fine and may be hard to find. Are you sure it's not metric?

·
21,876 Posts
I like pie... and im only saying that cause you have plenty of info up there! ^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts