Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
There are many barrels for the 10/22. Most of them offer an improvement over a bone stock barrel. You can have you stock barrel reworked and get some of the improved accuracy that way but it is great to customize them.

I am looking at the Quantum Black on Black threaded barrel so that I can use a silencer on my rifle also.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much accuracy would actually be gained from getting a new barrel? I'm not shooting competition (just range time), but if its going to be a big difference, I don't mind to spend the money.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No disadvantages to the 20" version in terms of function, reliability, or accuracy, but on a lightweight 10/22...every extra inch of heavy bull barrel you hang on the end of it is MUCH more weight to the overall rifle and obviously more forward weight that throws the balance of the rifle off IMHO. I stuck to the 18" barrel on all but one of the 10/22's I have built except for a 16 1/4" Volquartsen that my Dad wanted on his rifle. In terms of accuracy, his 16 1/4" volquartsen barreled rifle will keep up with my Shilen 18" barreled rifle out to 100 yards (don't know past that, but you are getting to the end of the rope on a .22lr much past 100 anyway).

The Green Mountain recommended above is a good barrel. I have seen lots of shooters built with the GM barrels. Shilen, Volquartsen, and Tactical Solution (TacSol) are excellent options as well!

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No disadvantages to the 20" version in terms of function, reliability, or accuracy, but on a lightweight 10/22...every extra inch of heavy bull barrel you hang on the end of it is MUCH more weight to the overall rifle and obviously more forward weight that throws the balance of the rifle off IMHO. I stuck to the 18" barrel on all but one of the 10/22's I have built except for a 16 1/4" Volquartsen that my Dad wanted on his rifle. In terms of accuracy, his 16 1/4" volquartsen barreled rifle will keep up with my Shilen 18" barreled rifle out to 100 yards (don't know past that, but you are getting to the end of the rope on a .22lr much past 100 anyway).

The Green Mountain recommended above is a good barrel. I have seen lots of shooters built with the GM barrels. Shilen, Volquartsen, and Tactical Solution (TacSol) are excellent options!
I ended up going with a 20" Tactical Solutions heavy barrel and a hogue black stock. Hopefully the extra weight won't throw the balance off too bad. I guess I'll just have to wait and see since I have already ordered it!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
TacSol won't weigh a thing compared to a solid steel (CM or Stainless) barrel like the Shilen or Volq. The TacSol is has a CM steel barrel/liner sleeved into an aluminum barrel housing. I would guess that the TacSol would weigh around 1/3 what a conventional steel barrel weighs.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TacSol won't weigh a thing compared to a solid steel (CM or Stainless) barrel like the Shilen or Volq. The TacSol is has a CM steel barrel/liner sleeved into an aluminum barrel housing. I would guess that the TacSol would weigh around 1/3 what a conventional steel barrel weighs.

So you think it will turn out to be a good upgrade over the stock barrel?

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wait, I am an idiot. I looked at the TacSol barrel, but went with the Butler Creek heavy barrel that I linked in the OP because of the price. Sorry, I guess football is distracting me a bit. What are yours thoughts on that barrel?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Butler Creek barrels if I am not mistaken are "heavy" compared to Tac-Sol and other aluminum barrels......if the barrel is steel then your gun is going to be pretty front heavy. If you are shooting from a bench it wont be bad, but if it is going to be used for hunting it will suck....I have the hogue stock and a 16.5 Tac-Sol barrel and my gun is extremely light

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Butler Creek barrels if I am not mistaken are "heavy" compared to Tac-Sol and other aluminum barrels......if the barrel is steel then your gun is going to be pretty front heavy. If you are shooting from a bench it wont be bad, but if it is going to be used for hunting it will suck....I have the hogue stock and a 16.5 Tac-Sol barrel and my gun is extremely light

No hunting here, just range time.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
From the bench and a nice rest...the weight of the Butler Creek barrel v. the factory bbl v. a TacSol bbl won't be an issue in the least. I didn't realize this was going to be a range/bench only rifle. I don't have any personal experience with the Butler Creek bbls, but I am sure that it will be a shooter from the reports I have heard from others who have installed them in place of the factory bbl.

We'll all look forward to a range report once you get the new bbl installed and running!!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Check out Midwayusa.com for a barrel... I got everything for my 10/22 from there... and it was all cheap.

I got the shooters ridge barrel, along with a bunch of other stuff for it and its great!

Accuracy improved quite a bit. 5 shot strings consistently look like this at 25yards... Dont mind the other holes in the target.. this was the first outing and I was sighting it in on that target, then put a shoot-n-see and fired off my first 5 shot string.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts