Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i put mine on not too long ago. . . .its a piece of cake it really is. .

the only extremely important thing u have to do is when u cut off the delta ring. mvician posted a video on another thread which was super detailed.

besides taping up the barrel so aluminum flakes dont go everywhere, its a breeze

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
to see the video, go the the second page of the ar forums and down at the bottom youll see a thread called "cutting off delta ring"

its on the seond page. . .

im too lazy to post a link

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to see the video, go the the second page of the ar forums and down at the bottom youll see a thread called "cutting off delta ring"

its on the seond page. . .

im too lazy to post a link

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize I would have to cut anything off to install the free floats. Is it much trouble to install a new delta ring if I ever needed to down the road?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I have the carbine length rails like this. They install in about 15 minutes and have been very solid. I like them very much.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Midwest Industries MCTAR-21

Anyone own these? How hard is it to install the FF rails?
"hard" is a relative term. I don't personally own or have those rails, but I think the delta ring still needs to come off. If it does, you don't need to take the whole barrel assembly apart, you can just dremel the delta ring off. I myself would rather take the assembly apart and salvage the ring.

If you wanted to save the delta ring, then you would need a couple tools (which, in my opinion you should have anyways, since you own an AR-15) ...

AR-15 FRONT SIGHT BENCH BLOCK at Brownells (don't really need this, but after using one, I absolutely love it!)

AR-15 MULTI-TOOL at Brownells (you'll definitely need this)

AR-15/M16 HANDGUARD ALIGNMENT TOOL at Brownells (nice to have when installing a free float, it helps to make sure your receiver and your handguards align, so that you can get properly sighted sights!)

AR-15/M16 UPPER RECEIVER ACTION BLOCK at Brownells (you'll definitely need this also!)

#565 PIN PUNCH SET at Brownells (you'll need these if you have an FSB, regardless, you'll need these!)

I think that's basically what you'll need, I didn't include the plastic handguard removal tool, I think bare hands and a little bit of muscle is all you'll need for that.

Oh! A hammer and a table vise would come in very very handy!

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
I have the Extended Carbine Length FF rails and I like 'em. They're a tad heavy, but not bad. Only downside was the fact I was missing 9 out of 11 screws in the box! Had to wait for MI to ship out the missing screws, which they did, only to find out one of the pieces did not line up! Couldn't get a screw to fit into the hole- was about 1/2 a hole width off. They sent me out a couple new pieces and it went on perfectly. I'm sure I got the 1 in 1,000 "oopsies" that came off the line, but they took care of everything really quickly. Like the others have said, installation was really simple.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To be honest, I would much rather save my money and just cut the thing off. I don't own a vise or any of the other required tools, so cutting it off may be my best option.

Is MI a pretty reputable name in the AR industry?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Mi is reputable.....along with daniel defense. . . they make the true drop in free float design..called the omega..

but for the price, i went with MI, and i also didnt mind cutting the delta ring off because like you, i didnt have any of those tools and didnt like the idea of dropping a good amount of cash on them

·
Registered
395 Posts
I say drop the extra cheese on some Daniel Defense Omega rails. Free float, no delta ring removal/gunsmithing required, rock solid, continuous top rail, light weight, easily removed, and much slimmer than the fat MI rails. I've owned both, (still own the Daniel Defense), and they are a million times better, for like $70-80 more.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I've posted this in a couple of other threads recently but I had this rail (the carbine length #20) go down on me in a class a few weeks ago.

The screws kept popping loose despite having red loctite on them. I think the holes were too large for the screws so even with the loctite, they didin't hold.

I may well have just gotten a fluke bad one because Midwest Industries has a good reputation but my experience was disappointing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts