Springfield XD Forum banner

thoughts on the glock 17

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  FATSEXY 
#1 ·
what do you think about the glock 17

#3 ·
Probably the most reliable and durable 9mm ever made.

Seriously...if you blow one up....you have worked VERY hard! LOL

I have a 1992 made 2nd gen G17 and have shot it heavily since then. To be honest, I don't recall it ever jamming or giving any trouble.

Its kind of my "red headed step child" pistol - the one that gets cleaned once in a blue moon, rarely oiled and fed every kind of ratty 9mm ammo I can find. Whatever is cheapest! LOL

I have run tons of crappy ammo through this thing: the alloy cased Blazers, funky range re-loads, steel cased Brown Bear and the really hot and dirty Israeli surplus ammo that would beat an alloy framed pistol to junk.

The thing just keeps on going.

I have left it loaded and not shot for almost a year at a time and the thing still fed all 17 rounds through the mags. I have also not oiled or lubed it for 5-6 months at a time and when I rack the slide and fire....it goes bang every time. I swear...it is the lowest maintenance pistol one could ask for.

Right now, most of the finish on the slide is gone and the frame is nicked and scratched to pieces. I often thought about selling it, but why ditch a pistol that ALWAYS works? Also...nobody would want it, with it's ratty finish. I looks terrible...but runs like the devil.

So yeah, if it fits your hand and appeals to you...go for it. I have found the Glock 17 (and Glock 22) to be very durable and reliable beasts.

It is the original Glock in the original Glock caliber and if you ask me...it is the best Glock.

- brickboy240

#5 ·
Swap the stock Glock trigger for a 32 dollar Ghost 3.5 pound trigger and you'll be amazed at how much better it shoots.

Yes...it is boringly reliable. Load...shoot...repeat.

If you are a low maintenance shooter...this is your gun! LOL

- brickboy240

#6 ·
Probably the most reliable and durable 9mm ever made.
</p>
While that may be going just a bit far ... they are a very reliable handgun. Tried and true. You pretty much know what you're getting. I personally prefer the grip of the 2nd Generation G17's to the grips of the 3rd and 4th Generations. They like &quot;hot&quot; ammo. Wal-Mart Federal and Winchester White Box have a tendency to stovepipe or get tossed back in your face. A lighter recoil spring and new guide rod can solve that.</p>

#8 ·
Damn Bro, how many threads are you going to start on the firearm search of yours?:confused:

I'd recommend the G19 over the G17 if you have any intention of carrying it..:D

I used to think the same thing untill I carried a G17 and noticed no difference at all between the two and I am not a huge guy by any means. Right now I carry the same size framed G37 with a slightly fatter slide of the G21 and I still notice no difference between the G17 and it. Infact the G37 is the same width as my XD9 and the takedown lever makes it fatter than the G37.

The difference in size is not huge at all between the G17 and G19. I went from the G26 to the 19 to the 17 to a G37. Any Glock carries easy IMHO......

#9 ·
I used to think the same thing untill I carried a G17 and noticed no difference at all between the two and I am not a huge guy by any means. Right now I carry the same size framed G37 with a slightly fatter slide of the G21 and I still notice no difference between the G17 and it. Infact the G37 is the same width as my XD9 and the takedown lever makes it fatter than the G37.

The difference in size is not huge at all between the G17 and G19. I went from the G26 to the 19 to the 17 to a G37. Any Glock carries easy IMHO......
I feel the same way. I used to carry a Glock 23 (same size as the 19) IWB, but I've since switched to a Glock 22 with no noticeable difference in "carryability".

#10 ·
It's a good gun. One of its "pros" is that it's simple. That's also one of its "cons."

Many say that it's the most reliable pistol ever made. I think a better way to phrase it would be, "It's one of the most forgiving of neglectful maintenance."

The Glock production lines are known for very good quality control. The guns and parts are very consistent across the board, which is a good thing in many respects. If it fits your hand well, I'd recommend it. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it against other proven designs if it doesn't point naturally for you.

Everything's a compromise. I'd shoot one before you buy it to see if it's to your liking. :)

Andy

#12 ·
Shot a buddies G17...Liked it.

Will add a G26 to the collection soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.