Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally came to the conclusion that I need (want) a .45. I already have 9s and 40s but no 45. I started by checking out the Sig P220, HK45, and HK USP 45 but ended up really liking the feel of the 1911s. Note that I already have a carry pistol that works just fine for me, XD9SC, so the 45 is just for the range and cause I want one.

Based on my budget of $700-$800, give or take a little, I narrowed my choices down to the Ruger SR1911 and the Springfield Range Officer and headed to the local gun store. Neither of these were in stock so I spoke with the owner and got on the waiting lists. The owner did mention that both of these were excellent pistols and asked if I wanted to check out some other 1911s he had in stock just to get an idea of the options I liked or didn't like.

One 1911 I kept coming back to was the Kimber Custom TLE II. The fit, lockup, trigger, and slide to frame smoothness were excellent.

Since I don't know much about this Kimber and 1911s, in general, I have a couple of questions:

1. I have read that originally Kimber was great then they weren't so great but now their new production and QC are greatly improved. Is this what is really going on with the Kimbers?

2. Can anyone give me any feedback on their experience with this pistol?

3. The LGS is wanting $969 (before tax) for the Kimber. This is over my budget but I might be able to swing it. Is this a good price for this pistol or what should I offer?

Any input you folks can give me would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have never personally owned a Kimber, but have looked into it many times as the few I have shot have been great.. from everything I have researched online the gun will either be good for as long as you own it or be sent back to Kimber several times before it will work right. you only get one factory mag., but that's okay because they are terrible and will need to be replaced anyways.
I would still love to own one, but no time soon.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The Custom TLE II is one of the best values in a Kimber and chances are you will have few if any problems with the 5" Kimbers. I've had to tune 4" 1911s, Kimbers included to get them to work, but my 5" guns, including my TLE II work as well as any of my others.

That said, $969 is a bit high IMO. I paid $850 for mine and I've seen them go for $700-$750 on the used market. That might be the going rate today but at least in AZ, they are a bit less.

The one consideration I will toss out there is that the black anodized finish that Kimber uses does not wear well so if you are looking for a pretty gun make sure you take a picture when you get it. If you are planning to shoot the hell out of it and don't care for a little wear then have at it.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If I had it to do over again I'd have bought a Custom TLE II over my plain custom II...

I'd go for Stainless Finish if you can swing the extra coin...

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've shot them but never owned one. I will say that in my experiance that the Springfield loaded is a better deal and probably cheaper. BTW 969 is high see if they won't shave a it down if you pay cash money.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have owned and heavily shot a 5" Kimber TLE II for almost 5 years now.

Great shooter....very accurate and mine has never missed a beat. 100% reliable. I started shooting hollowpoints in this pistol LONG before Kimber's suggested "break in" time of 500 rounds. Still...Gold Dots and SXTs ran right through the pistol like mad.

I bought mine for 780 bucks way back then. Prices on all 1911s have gone up and that is not totally out of line.

I bought the TLE II because in that price range, it was the only factory 1911 with quality night sights and front strap checkering. Everything else in it's price range, either was missing one or both of those features.

So far...so good for me and the TLE II...I am a huge fan. Before I bought this 1911, I borrowed and shot 3 different Kimbers and had positive experiences with all. That is why I bought my own. Some on the web were SAYING Kimbers were not great, but my OWN experiences with shooting 3 said a different thing.

If you like it, go for it....many here own Kimber 1911s from their "Custom II" line up and really like them.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I think the TLE is one of the best Kimbers ever made. :D

L

·
0 Posts
I haven't shot the TLE, but Kimber is the reason I own, and carry daily, a 1911. Mine is just the plain ole Ultra Carry II but it's been a fabulous gun for 3" 1911 in the price range.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
My Stainless II has been great to me with zero issues in 4 years. I have thought several times about getting a TLE II for the night sights and front strap checking as a carry gun.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If you spend any time perusing the various 1911 web boards, one thing you will notice about Kimbers. Those that buy their "Custom II" line, versus their more expensive offerings (like the Raptor) have overall less troubles and complaints.

The higher end Kimbers are too pricey, iffy on QC and don't really seem worth the extra money. If you are going to spend that much on a 1911...go ahead and get a Wilson, Nighthawk or Les Baer.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love the Zappa quote at the bottom....
Roxy and elseware is a very fun album...

My fav line is from the rambles at the end of San Berdino...

"Zultch, that's were they take the cars when they're hurt"

just a bit odder than "Oh Bobby, I'm sorry you have a head like a potato"

Now back to Kimbers,

My first 1911 and still my only is a TLE/RL II.
It's difficult to explain and not sound like a nut case, but that gun just seems to speak to me when I hold her. Others felt good, this one truly felt like it was part of my hand.

I paid a little higher as it was the only one in my area, but worth every penny.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts