Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never open carry.I do not want to be rushed and have my gun used on me or someone else.I can not be in public thinking every second I'm in a war zone . I think it is dangerious I'm not trained in hand to hand combat.Now as far as CC I carry all the time.However I know it takes a Zombie less than 1.5 seconds to travel 20 feet.So CC may not be as effective as we think either.I think carry open or CC is only good if you know ahead of time the zombie is coming.If you knew it migh be enough time to get out of the danger zone which I prefer.The best way to be safe I think is to stay away from zombies.Sometimes being right is not so good especially when your lawyer becomes the zombie and take a hefty sum.
Remember never say your sorry only I was protecting my life or loved ones.Never say you cocked then shot.Never say anything to anyone let your zombie lawyer talk.

J

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Your best defense against Zoombie attack or scumb bag attack is personal awareness of what 's going on around you. If you look like easy unaware pickings on what's going on around you, you more than likely are going to attract BG's.
As far as OC or CC that discussion has been beat more times than a rented mule struggling to pull a wagon up a hill. Just got to do what works for you, because like many other topics on gun forums there is no right or wrong. It's what your comfortable with that matters.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
There are good arguments for both open and concealed carry.

One of the best for open carry is the deterrent effect. If a BG sees a gun on a competent-looking individual, they will probably think twice about what they're planning.

A good argument for concealed carry is you may get the drop on a BG. SURPRISE! However, that brings into play several counter arguments, such as: in a store robbery, are you being directly threatened? Except in specific circumstances, you usually are NOT allowed to defend someone else's property, and you may find yourself in deep doo-doo if you act as a licensed security, or police, agent would.

A good argument against OC is your gun may be grabbed, or you may be targeted. Personally, I believe this to be highly unlikely, as most criminals want it easy and quick. they don't want to possibility of a gunfight with a determined citizen.

A good argument against CC is the time and effort it takes do bring your weapon into play. The key to eliminating this is to conceal as shallowly as possible and practice, practice, practice.

To address your comments directly:
Check the stats, not many OC'ers have their own gun used against them. In fact, very few even get into a combat situation. As for being in a war zone, look at the nightly news...you are already in a war zone, that's why you carry. Only you can determine the necessity of the level of readiness you need in your area. However, the mess is hitting the blades in more and more unlikely places, so beware.

Your figures of 1.5s/20ft is correct. You can stay away from the zombies, but will they stay away from you? The best gunfight is one that never happens. Situational awareness is everything. If you see a potentially dangerous situation or individual, stage a tactical retreat, if it is safe to do so. Get out of Dodge. Read books on SD (there are several good ones out there)and practice avoidance and maneuvering. You may look silly running around your back yard doing this, but it may save your life. If you must stand and defend, be prepared to go 100%. No hesitation. Do what you gotta do. It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. That's why I have a lawyer on retainer and his card in my pocket.

As a side note, I lived in Monroe, NC for 8 years and OC'ed daily, into many different stores and businesses. Never had a problem, either from the "terrorized" citizens, the LEO's, or the BG's. I frankly enjoy OC, it's simply much easier, and, I believe, more effective.

I don't think I've tried to sway you on either OC or CC, it was not my intent. Personal defense is just that, personal, and you gotta do what seems best to you.

Carry in Peace.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I agree 110% with Keltyke.

But, I also want to reinforce what Bluto said:

Your best defense against Zoombie attack or scumb bag attack is personal awareness of what 's going on around you. If you look like easy unaware pickings on what's going on around you, you more than likely are going to attract BG's...
As far as OC or CC that discussion has been beat more times than a rented mule struggling to pull a wagon up a hill. Just got to do what works for you, because like many other topics on gun forums there is no right or wrong. It's what your comfortable with that matters.
Personal (Situational) Awareness is absolutely crucial! Whether you're OC'ing, CC'ing or going au'natural (unarmed), if you're walking around without a CLUE of what's going on around you you ARE asking to be victimized.

I also agree that the OC/CC arguement has been beat to death! Go with what works for "you"; as long as it's "legal". (This brings up the REAL problem with OC.)-----

---"Pro" ponents of open carry have really faced "prejudice". My thoughts are if "YOU" as a CC'er have a 2nd ammendment right to CC why shouldn't "I" as a United States citizen have the same 2nd AM "right" to OC?

IMHO; Proponents of CC should get solidly behind proponents of OC in their quest to get the same recognition from the government. Like it or NOT, all gun "owners" are under attack! Regardless if you CC, OC or eevn "NO" carry, your "constitutional "RIGHT" to bear arms is in jepordy.

BOTTOM LINE?
If you believe in the "RIGHT" to own firearms, then forget ALL the OC-vs-CC bull$!++.

(Gun owners have MUCH more important BATTLES to FIGHT!)

-

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Just imagine (you guys do it alot here), when you have great SA and OC. You let them know through eye contact you know whats going on. Then they notice the OCd pistol on your hip. Dont rely on them seeing the pistol and being afraid of you because of it and just lollygag through your entire day..........

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
My wife ran in the food store for a few items while I waited in the car with the dog with the a/c on. I sat there watching people leave the store as this suspicuos looking was guy hanging around. I had my eye on him the whole time and I think he knew it. I'll bet the people leaving the store which I'll say was 15,I'll bet only 3 saw the guy at all. Many people are so wrapped up in there own little world they practically beg to be a crime statistic. I try to get my wife to take that extra couple seconds to see what's going on before walking out into the world.

·
Registered
936 Posts
^^ Me too Bluto. Often while driving or eating, etc...I'll throw out the random 'how would react if ___ happened, right now?' It seems to help my wife to increase her SA a bit.

I agree with what has been said before. OC /CC is peraonal preference, period. Whether one participates or not is irrevelant; we should all support both.

That said, I personally have found myself OC'ing more and more. I have good SA and I feel that being able to get to my weapon faster is worth the sacrifice of concealment. The sad thing is that your average sheeple dont notice anyways!

There are 2 important considerations that determine if I OC or CC: First, where am I going? Not a great idea at the cinema, mall, probably even walmart. Not such a big deal if i'm carrying in a park, on the street, etc.

Second, what holster do I have? If my holster doesnt have some kind of positive control on it (a strap, SERPA style, the new 5.11 thumb break holsters, etc), i'm probably better off concealing.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
There are 2 important considerations that determine if I OC or CC: First, where am I going? Not a great idea at the cinema, mall, probably even walmart. Not such a big deal if i'm carrying in a park, on the street, etc.
I was at the mall one afternoon and there was some younger guy OCing an old S&W revolver. Looked like he picked up one of them old police M10s real cheap and threw it in an even cheaper holster. The mall cop who walked from his carry side and passed right behind him never noticed he was OCing a pistol. I really do believe my wife and I were the only two that ever noticed...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
^^ Me too Bluto. Often while driving or eating, etc...I'll throw out the random 'how would react if ___ happened, right now?' It seems to help my wife to increase her SA a bit.

I agree with what has been said before. OC /CC is peraonal preference, period. Whether one participates or not is irrevelant; we should all support both.

That said, I personally have found myself OC'ing more and more. I have good SA and I feel that being able to get to my weapon faster is worth the sacrifice of concealment. The sad thing is that your average sheeple dont notice anyways!

Second, what holster do I have? If my holster doesnt have some kind of positive control on it (a strap, SERPA style, the new 5.11 thumb break holsters, etc), i'm probably better off concealing.

I'm going to start doing that with my wife... She really needs to increase her SA. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
My wife ran in the food store for a few items while I waited in the car with the dog with the a/c on. I sat there watching people leave the store as this suspicuos looking was guy hanging around. I had my eye on him the whole time and I think he knew it. I'll bet the people leaving the store which I'll say was 15,I'll bet only 3 saw the guy at all. Many people are so wrapped up in there own little world they practically beg to be a crime statistic. I try to get my wife to take that extra couple seconds to see what's going on before walking out into the world.

I wouldn't take you up on that bet (I hate to lose money on a sucker bet!). Very few people walk around with their heads OUT of their butts. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the 8 years of martial arts training in my youth gave the habit of actually watching what is going on and thinking about the "what ifs...". We were trained to look in the back seat before opening the car door. Trained to walk 6+ ft from a corner and give a quick peripheral eye peak as we got to the corner. Walk down the center of the parking lot lane so you couldn't get surprised by someone hiding between cars. If there was someone by a door, open the other one so you can have a clear field to respond. etc etc.

A training buddy was jumped leaving a 7-11 at 2AM one Friday night by 3 guys just as he cleared the doors. He had seen them and was ready (they were not). 1 kick, 1 punch and 1 elbow strike later and what the clerk later called "the shorted 3 on 1 fight in history" was over. He drove off leaving them to "bleed quietly to themselves".

We were at the library the other day and going up the back steps, I used the mirror balls in the ceiling to check for threats around the corners. Must have done it a hundred times before, but for some reason I was thinking about it. Then I noticed that one of them was dirty and it was hard to see what was around that corner. I asked my wife how often she thought they cleaned the mirrors? -- her anwer: what mirrors? The ones in the corners. where? In the stair well. Really? they have mirrors?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
283 Posts
At the risk of beating a dead horse deader, why does OC/CC have to have an either/or answer? In other words, why not carry both ways - one OC and one CC together - to see if that works for you? I've carried two guns, concealed, several times and like that idea. A store clerk in a gun shop says he carries two other guns besides the one he OC's. I'm thinking of doing likewise to see if it's right for me.

It might be something for you to consider as well. :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 on Situational Awareness.

As far as OC/CC, it's all personal preference. I've tried OC and, personally, I'm not a fan of it. It attracts too much attention. I'd much rather have OC outlawed in exchange for shall-issue of CC permits with proper individual screening. With current law, felons and other individuals not legally allowed to own firearms are technically allowed to OC; and OC illegal firearms, at that.

·
Registered
403 Posts
+1 on Situational Awareness.

As far as OC/CC, it's all personal preference. I've tried OC and, personally, I'm not a fan of it. It attracts too much attention. I'd much rather have OC outlawed in exchange for shall-issue of CC permits with proper individual screening. With current law, felons and other individuals not legally allowed to own firearms are technically allowed to OC; and OC illegal firearms, at that.
I wouldn't go that far, but I do prefer concealed over open because of the attention issue. Not having to deal with LEO responding to "man with gun" calls alone is more than enough reason for me to choose concealed over open. Besides which, situational awareness gets you most of the benefits of open carry anyway. Criminals don't want to take on people who look aware, confident, and prepared.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
+1 more for situational awareness. Maybe even more important for OC, because you can bet the zombies are aware of you and what you are carrying. If you behave like a victim, OCing might make you an even more tempting target.

OC = fashion statement
CC = nobody's business

1 - 15 of 15 Posts