Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am just wondering what are some peoples opinion on here. How long do you think until we see a bill introduced on another AWB? How much time do you think to buy any AR's that we want? Do you think you should buy now, or wait out the initial panic until supply can catch back up and prices return to normal? Just curious, because i have heard opinions ranging all over the place. I will start

I bought (am buying) now. I also think that somesort of GC bill will be introduced fairly soon in Obama's presidency. Maybe not an all out AWB ban, but something along the lines.

Whos next?

·
Registered
337 Posts
he's fine tunin' his first ninety day plan is well under planning way.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
the bill is already made, but its just floating around now (waiting for a Dem president to sign). I wouldnt pay an exhorbant price but the sooner the better wont hurt. I dont expect gun sales to fall much. Expect another spike during the January innaguration.

·
Premium Member
8,922 Posts

"My first priority will be to reinstate the assault weapons ban as soon as I take office. Within 90 days, we will go back after kitchen table dealers, and work to end the gun show and internet sales loopholes. In the first year, I intend to work with Congress on a national no carry law, 1 gun a month purchase limits, and bans on all semi-automatic guns."

--Barack Obama, VPC Fund Raiser, 2007
It's coming, and it's coming quick. I would buy now, but don't forget magazines.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Supply and demand is already a big problem from what I understand from a lot of folks and from local dealers here. Also, because demand is so high right now, prices have shot up nicely too. There were reports on Wednesday of shops charging 30-50% more on complete AR-15 rifles than the MSRP. I picked up an XD that I bought here on the forums yesterday from my dealer and just yesterday he transferred three stripped lowers to a guy who said he was looking for more!!

As for a new AWB or some hybrid of an AWB, I think it is safe to say that you can expect its passage and signature by Obamanation within the first 60-90 days of his presidency.

Buy now...buy frequently...and don't forget the magazines!!! "He who hesitates is LOST!"

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
My tally for the last week is up to 4 stripped lowers, LPKs, 20 more PMAGs and 2000 rounds of .223 :evil:

I think I'm ready to hunker down now and see how things play out.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So, how is it going to work? Are we not going to take them anywhere(range) and be able to use them?
The ban will outlaw buying new ones. The ones already owned will be "grandfathered." In other words, they won't ban what we already own, and we'll still be free to use them. That's the reason for the surge of buying... anything we own before the ban is still good.

To the OP, it's kind of hard to say. I could see it being proposed in the first 6 months, I could see it being passed not too much longer after that. As far as prices going up or down, I don't really see much room for them to do down. By the time production starts catching up it'll be December/January... which will be the time of panic buying again. Once he's in office, don't expect any low prices at all.

I do have a question of my own. I'm sure all parts will go up, but what will become the most difficult to find at reasonable prices? We've already seen stripped lowers go up a little, and I can see magazines starting dry up (primarily pmags). I've got the stripped lower and 10 pmags are on delivery truck, so what should be the next priority? Should I bother spending a couple hundred now on a LPK and stock (cause I can see that stuff being pretty available later without much difference in prices), or should I focus my financial efforts on going toward the upper first?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
The ban will outlaw buying new ones. The ones already owned will be "grandfathered." In other words, they won't ban what we already own, and we'll still be free to use them. That's the reason for the surge of buying... anything we own before the ban is still good.

To the OP, it's kind of hard to say. I could see it being proposed in the first 6 months, I could see it being passed not too much longer after that. As far as prices going up or down, I don't really see much room for them to do down. By the time production starts catching up it'll be December/January... which will be the time of panic buying again. Once he's in office, don't expect any low prices at all.

I do have a question of my own. I'm sure all parts will go up, but what will become the most difficult to find at reasonable prices? We've already seen stripped lowers go up a little, and I can see magazines starting dry up (primarily pmags). I've got the stripped lower and 10 pmags are on delivery truck, so what should be the next priority? Should I bother spending a couple hundred now on a LPK and stock (cause I can see that stuff being pretty available later without much difference in prices), or should I focus my financial efforts on going toward the upper first?
You are assuming that the next ban will be like the last one. AWB '94 grandfathered stuff in, but that doesn't mean AWB '09 will.

If HR 1022 was any indication, buy all your parts now. The 1022 wording also banned the manufacture of replacement parts. No more springs, pins, LPKs, barrels, etc. A stripped lower does you no good if you can never finish it, and if something breaks there will be no fixing it if the Dems get their way.

Hi-cap magazines and ammo should be up on the priority list as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last week I bought 2 complete RRA lowers and 2 RRA A4 Upper receiver assembly's just to be safe. you never know what's going to happen and you can never have to many guns

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You are assuming that the next ban will be like the last one. AWB '94 grandfathered stuff in, but that doesn't mean AWB '09 will.

If HR 1022 was any indication, buy all your parts now. The 1022 wording also banned the manufacture of replacement parts. No more springs, pins, LPKs, barrels, etc. A stripped lower does you no good if you can never finish it, and if something breaks there will be no fixing it if the Dems get their way.

Hi-cap magazines and ammo should be up on the priority list as well.
Believe me, I have every intention of finishing it before January. I was speaking in terms of price and availability up until that point... what's the most likely to dry up or become hard to get ahold of? Or what's most likely to skyrocket in price?

I've got a stripped lower, I've got 10 30-round magazine... In the next week or so should I finish the lower with a LPK and stock, or would I be better off finishing that closer to January and trying to get a head start on a complete upper (which seems like the wait times are getting longer).

·
Registered
184 Posts
GovTrack: H.R. 6257: Text of Legislation, Introduced in House

This one doesn't have any language about banning parts. I would imagine that on the sunset of HR 1022, its language died with it. SO, does this mean that parts will not be banned?
After reading it, I didn't get the idea that it meant banning parts, except for hi-cap mags. It also sounds a lot like the current AWB that is still in place in NY. There are ways to get around it. Just get rid of the bayonet lug and the change out the flash suppressor for a pinned/welded muzzle brake. The only real issue is the ban on the mags, so I'd stock up on those now.

Someone please let me know if I missed something.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I wouldn't put anything past the extremist Dems in their hate for our hobby. I personally hope that the dems that ad the endorsment from the NRA will continue to stand with us. However I am preparing as well as I don't trust any polititian that I don't personaly know, So buy what you can, and don't forget the spare parts as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts