Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, the part of the debates about gun brands that strikes me as odd is that people argue brands, i.e. GLOCK vs. XD.

It makes a lot more sense to argue model vs. model.

I'd take an XD45 (and especially an XD45 Tactical) over a G21, any day. I'd take an XD45 Tactical over an XD(M) 45. But I'd take a G30 over an XD45 Compact.

Similarly, I'd take an XD(M) 9 over an XD9, and I'd take either over a G17. But I'd take a G19 over just about any other compact 9mm out there.... except for maybe an M&P9 Compact. I do think that the G19 is the ultimate GLOCK.

That's just a random thought that popped into my mind.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
In .45, I'll take the G21/G30, then a XD, with the M&P45's coming dead last...just didn't like their .45's.

In 9mm, I'd take a G17 or G26...then one of the M&P's, and finally the XD's.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Y'all need to shoot a 9L.;)

And any M&P needs a APEX trigger. Horrid with out. Nice with.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Will always keep my Glock. But NOTHING beats my M&P fullsize with a Burwell trigger job. And I own or have owned every top of the line handgun brand available. Just works best for me.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Having owned all 3 at one time or another the one and only reason I would not choose the G21 is due to the finger grooves. Now all things being equal if Glock ever decided to make a frame without the finger grooves then the G21 would be my first choice followed by the XD and then the M&P. JR

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Having owned all 3 at one time or another the one and only reason I would not choose the G21 is due to the finger grooves. Now all things being equal if Glock ever decided to make a frame without the finger grooves then the G21 would be my first choice followed by the XD and then the M&P. JR
Get a Gen2 G21; I just picked up a PD trade in the other day for $300.

No rail, though.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Get a Gen2 G21; I just picked up a PD trade in the other day for $300.

No rail, though.
I was actually thinking about doing that. The rail is a non issue for me as I would not be putting a light or anything on it. I would want the frame to be atleast 95% in shape with no big gouges. As for the slide it would not matter as I could always send it to CCR for a refinish job. All the ones in 2nd gen I have looked at in the past year or so the frames have been really rough, but I am still looking :) JR

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
I will see Ocean's "not this again" pic

an raise him one "dead horse"

:cool:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ok Model to model; the xdm 3.8 compact .40 v the glock 23. I will be honest; I have shot the g 23, but I have not shot the xdm 3.8, but I have chosen the xdm (its on lay-a-way and I will have it in two weeks.)
Here are my reasons:
*The glock has a 13+1 capacity, the xdm has 11+1 the edge is to glock, but it is negligable in my opinion.
*The handle on the xdm is about a half inch shorter, and that seems to make it easier to conceal so edge to xdm.
* The xdm has the three dot sights which I prefer to the glock box sights.
* the grip design on the xdm seems better to maintain control when hands get sweaty.
* the Xdm has the additonal backstraps to make it fit the hand better.
* The xdm has the backstrap safety in addtion to the trigger safety; a big plus in my book.
* the xdm comes with the 16 max xtension.
Those being the comparisons makes me choose the xdm 3.8 to the g23.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was actually thinking about doing that. The rail is a non issue for me as I would not be putting a light or anything on it. I would want the frame to be atleast 95% in shape with no big gouges. As for the slide it would not matter as I could always send it to CCR for a refinish job. All the ones in 2nd gen I have looked at in the past year or so the frames have been really rough, but I am still looking :) JR
Call CDNN, see if they will do a hand pick for you. Still around 3 bills, but you'll get what you want.
AIM Surplus had them last I checked. They are a top notch company and will treat you right. Give them a call as well.

·
Registered
744 Posts
There's a very simple way to deciding which is subjectively better for you.

Deciding based on the basic construction of the gun. My preference is and always will be glocks until someone comes along and manages to make a few bent pieces of sheet metal manage to do more.

I will always feel that bent steel is more solid than cast or milled. Most west german sig owners feel the same.

There's also the safeties, falling under construction... And ergos. I shoot best with an angled grip.

I like both the xd and glock, don't get me wrong. But I feel the S&W M&P doesn't stack up.

My most recent glock, a G23RTF2, has been strangely the most accurate and controllable handgun I've ever fired. It feels almost like a 9mm. Once again reaffirming my choice. I noticed it has a slightly different barrel marking and finish with a whole HELL of a lot more chamber support than previous glocks had. Perhaps that has a little to do with it, regardless it's the only glock 40 I've seen that doesn't put a smile on casings.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I prefer the M&P, Glock, and the XD in that order. I was a Glock guy until I bought my first M&P. I'll admit I wasn't too fond of the M&P's trigger at first but after shooting it a while the trigger smoothed out and was actually quite nice. I have upgraded to Apex triggers and I absolutely love them. They're all great guns...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I prefer the M&P, Glock, and the XD in that order. I was a Glock guy until I bought my first M&P. I'll admit I wasn't too fond of the M&P's trigger at first but after shooting it a while the trigger smoothed out and was actually quite nice. I have upgraded to Apex triggers and I absolutely love them. They're all great guns...
Got to 2nd that order. M&P turned out to be the best pistol I've ever bought. After some minor trigger work that is. Best IDPA handgun I ever used, and I've tried out several during the journey.
The XD just has too long of reset compared to the others for my taste.

All 3 are solid shooters & stone reliable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've never owend a Glock, but I have shot a few of them. Im just not a fan of the grip on glock at all. Great gun, but just not for me.

I have an M&P .40 compact and I like it more than my old service XD .40, and now that I have a XDm-9 I think I like it more than my M&P. But then again that's not really comparing apples to apples. I say both S/A and S&W have a good line of pistols here with the M&P and XDms. Glocks are well know and very reliable also, but in the end it just comes down to what you can shoot more comfortably and accuratly. They all have their pros and cons and likes and dislikes by the public, but in the end all three are great guns. Just my opinion.:)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ive shot all 3 brands in different sizes. My vote is M&P for the full size but its close between the XDSC and the M&PC. My first buy was a Glock. Chances are ill never buy another. They are nice but the to me the others are way more comfortable.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts