Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I picked up a Thompson Auto Ordinance (~ early 80s) .45 ACP for dirt cheap. After disassembly the major parts need a solid cleaning ... however all of the little parts, springs, etc ... appear to be total junk

Anyone have experience with this brand? I'm thinking of looking into a better trigger setup and making it a range/practice pistol ... maybe a basic competition build.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The nice thing about a 1911 is that you've got good "bones" to start with.

If it were me, I'd strip out all the fire-control mechanisms and get some of the drop-in kits from the reputable manufacturers/smiths: nowlin, chip mccormick, C&S, ed brown, les baer, EGW, wilson, etc. If I remember right, those run $100 ish, but you can get a whole trigger/sear/hammer set-up.

I would also look at a new firing pin, firing pin spring, and firing pin retainer.

Finally, I'd re-spring the entire thing with Wolff springs and, at least for practice, put a shock-buff in.

Best advice? Get a Brownell's catalog, and a napkin, so that you can wipe off the drool as you look around. :D

And - I forgot - I'm looking at a 10mm Auto Ordnance myself, so I'll be interested in how your project progresses.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts