Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I kept this mosin under my bed for a couple months for lack of a better place to put it and when I removed it to put on my new stock (pictured) I found half of the bolt handle rusted. Any advise as how to get rid of it? And why did only half of it rust so bad? I always figured under the bed would be a nice dry place to put it, I guess not...

The mosin now sits in the back of my closet in a gun sock...

on to the pictures

So any ideas what are my options?

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Hard to tell, but some rust remover may work on that with very little pitting. Some fine grit sand paper may have to be used as a last resort.

Try a bit of solvent first with some hard elbow grease.

Probably from hand oils the last time it was handled.

Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE
I REALLY put in some elbow grease and alot of solvent. I used the brass bristles on my bore brushes but it took a good 1/2 hour of letting it sit and lots and lots of scrubbing
anyway here it is now.
BIG difference.
Still more to work on.

Needless to say I'm going to be keeping a closer eye on it from now on...

·
Premium Member
127,076 Posts
Geez! :shock: I better go and check mine.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I started with fine bronze wool and rem oil for the gross stuff. Then I bumped up to the dremel with some polishing compound. Depending on what wheels and level of abrasive polish you have you can polish that thing right up. It takes some time to do right but it is very satisfying to see a bright and shiny Mosin.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try scrubbing with an oil & steel wool (a corse grit) and it should remove the remaining rust, them use your dremmel & polishing compound

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here in Oklahoma, electroless-nickel is used to plate heavy oilfield equipment to extend its serviceable life.

I've found that electroless-nickel also finds one hellva good use in weapons, especially old military rifles. The weapons require a complete disassembly, thorough cleaning and glass-beading in preparation, but the result is an almost bullet-proof finish.

Shown are my Nagant, and its successor an Enfield.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Wow..

I'm not a fan of re-finishing military rifles (even your $75 Mosin).. Just doesn't seem right to me..

But DAMN! That Nickel Plated Mosin looks SWEET.

How Much did that run you?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its got a coat of rem oil on it for now. I haven't tried removing any further that whats pictured. Just haven't had time... I want more details on that plated mosin. Where can I get mine done like that? That made me drool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts