Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I can say is if you don't buy your holsters from Old Faithful Holsters (merged with Alien Gear) then you are perhaps missing out on some of the best customer service going.

When I got my new holster from Winthrop (OFH didn't make one for my SP101 or I'd have bought it from them so I went to Winthrop) I realized my OFH belt slots for my XD9sc were 1.75" not 1.5" wide. This attributes to a sloppy fit on the belt and a bit of a loose floppy draw out of the holster even after adjusting the screws. Now don't ask me why I never realized this before I got the Winthrop holster but perhaps because the OFH was my 1st holster for my 1st handgun in decades it just didn't click. The 1.5" slots on the Winthrop SP101 holster lock the holster to the belt solidly and it was then that I realized just how sloppy the OFH is.

So I called OFH today, told them my story and mind you I bought this holster back in May 2013, and they said just return it and we'll make a new holster for you with the 1.5" belt slot for FREE! They have a 50 year satisfaction guarantee. When I bought my XD9sc holster there wasn't an option to get the 1.5" slot but since they merged with AG they now can make the 1.5" slot.

Talk about customer service! :p

Also I explained how they don't have a holster for the SP101 or I'd have bought it from them and she said she added it to the list and now they will make it.

I like my Winthrop holster but I have a problem - they made it without the 15 degree forward cant! I talked to them about it today so I am pretty sure they will replace it for free but I'm waiting to hear back tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here's the other side to this story. Winthrop Holster is another very customer focused company! I checked the website and the photos they emailed me for the SP101 holster show a forward cant. I get mine but it doesn't and it is hard to draw and holster, the forward cant makes it so much easier. On the OFH there's no cant but it's leather and kydex and the pistol comes out and goes in pretty smoothly so I don't think the cant matters so much.

So I called Winthrop and asked why the holster they sent doesn't have the forward cant and he says "Oh the die was changed and we didn't update the website"! But I told him you sent me photos showing the cant and it's like that on the site and how it is really hard to draw and holster. I can return it for a refund if I want but it is a nice brown leather holster and the price was $63 with shipping, the wait was 2 weeks vs $85 to $130 with a 8-12 week wait elsewhere!

He agreed the cant is better and said he'd talk to the owner and get back to me on Monday as it was Friday at 4:30. So the phone rings 10 minutes later and it's Winthrop and he tells me the owner will continue to make the SP101 with the forward cant but you have to call and ask for it otherwise they'll send the one without the cant. So if you want a holster for your SP101 they have black and brown (they just started to make a brown one you won't see it on the site) but if you want the holster with the cant ask for it.

So now I have to return the 2nd holster in a week to get that one remade too but I thought this was great customer service.

·
Premium Member
18,078 Posts
That's pretty good experience, I think a lot of the holster guys are fairly small operations really.

I bought a Kydex holster for my Shield from On Your 6 Designs (https://onyour6designs.com) for $30 + $7 shipping. Well when I got it, the 'J' on the belt hook wasn't much of a 'J' if you know what I mean, so it didn't really catch the belt that well. The holster would come out with the gun which ain't too good.

I asked them if they could make one with more of a hook. They remade the belt hook part, sent it to me for free, I slapped it on and am now very happy with the new holster.

Old one is on top, new one is on bottom. Stays put much better now!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The thing that sold me on Winthrop is the fact that they use Hermann Oak leather, same as Milt Sparks for roughly 1/2 the price. At the price point it really is a nice holster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts