Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking on getting a new gun and the XD Service 45 got my attention because the thumb safety.
Don't ask me why, because I have no answer to this....
Carry guns, I'm OK I have a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 and Springfield EMP 9mm.
I'm looking for a home defense gun, and since I live in a townhouse I don't know if the 45 will be a problem with over penetration. Anybody knows if there is other XD's with thumb safety in the near future?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Island 18 If it to be used for HD and you live in a townhouse I'd go 20 GA Mossberg Crusier W/#3 buck. 45's will clear most interior walls with no problem. Party walls also depending what there made out of and the type of round your using and the angle it's hitting the wall at. When I lived in a townhouse the party walls were 8" in block so not much of a problem. Depending on your building codes and the age of the house party walls could be what amounts to 2 to 3"s of fire code Dry wall type products and possibly some thin sound bats. I live in a single home in the burbs and my go to H/D gun is a 20 Ga Mossberg crusier. Pistols are only there to get me to the shotgun or a last resort. I'd sure hate to kill a neighbor/ friend defending my home.

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
In before people start tellIng you to sleep with a security blanket because you want a thumb safety.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got the service 45 with manual safety, I like a few gadgets and just wanted something a little different. I also have the XDM 3.8 compact which has no thumb safety.
As far as the 45 for home defense, it will work fine just load it with 185 gr +P hollow points. The extra velocity will cause it to expand quick and the lighter weight will control penetration. You could also use Federal Bulldog or Glaser Powerball both which are 165 gr but it kind of defeats the purpose of having a 45 acp !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.