Thinking of used car | Page 2 | Springfield XD Forum

Thinking of used car

Discussion in 'Motor Sports' started by marduk185, May 10, 2020.

1. May 13, 2020 #11
    PMAZ

PMAZ XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +238 / 3
    I drive a Silverado. My first GM ever. That said, I would not buy an American sedan that is out of warranty. If you really want a 4-door, just get a Camry or Accord.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. May 13, 2020 #12
    horseman 47231

horseman 47231 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +4,222 / 14
    Very nice cars, lots of fun driving those but replacing a wiper will set you back close to a grand. Okay: I'm exaggerating but believe me: the "upkeep" on this brand is very expensive !

3. May 14, 2020 #13
    justamessenger

justamessenger XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I quote your post because you want something economical. Transportation costs money, and you have a choice as to how much is spent. If you look out over the next 20 years, you can own a handful of money pits, or buy 1-2 quality vehicles that won’t bore you or break you in just a few years. When I paid up for my Infiniti G35S, I never dreamed I’d be happy with it 13 years later, but I am.
    There are studies done as to the lowest overall cost of ownership of various new vehicles over 5 years, including depreciation, insurance, gas, etc. Edmunds is one resource.
    By the way, the 300’s, Chargers, and Magnums of the world were a previous generation design; old when they came out. They will be cheap to buy and expensive to own, and you will be depriving yourself of a decade of advancements in infotainment and safety. Please, get car advice from a car-specific resource.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. May 14, 2020 #14
    1smoothredneck

1smoothredneck XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    My FIL just died recently. We are selling his Altima. 42k miles one owner 3.5 LOADED. PM me for info if interested.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. May 14, 2020 #15
    Groo

Groo XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +5,303 / 88
    Hertz is going under, so those cars will hit the market in greater number than normal. Ex-rental cars, generally a good deal since they usually have some warranty to take care of any racer-boy damage.
    I picked out a 97Chrysler LHS for Mom in 98 that was an ex-rental. That car was great. basically no major problems until it was well into the hoopty stage (front end damage, dog with bad separation anxiety ate the interior, etc.), and even then, they were stuff like a bad tire, CVshaft, taken out by the tire, then a lightning strike caused it some electrical gremlins. I was told they tried to kill it at the wrecking yard, and had way more trouble than expected.

6. May 18, 2020 #16
    windsearcher

windsearcher XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +735 / 2
    kinda depends on how big you want to go for a sedan.

IMO, I think the earlier replies on the Dodge Charger / Magnum would be a good call. Easy on the initial purchase price, repairs aren't that stupid expensive. Handling is ok. Some of the upper performance packages are pretty stout.

One that I almost bought before my current car, is the Ford Taurus SHO. Twin turbo, all wheel drive. Pretty Sporty looking for a large car.

And if fuel economy isn't at all a concern, the Pontiac G8 GT or GTP would be right up there on top of the list.

For better handling and a smaller car, the Subaru Legacy sedan with the sport package are pretty good. They run about forever, and while not necessarily "cheap" to fix, they aren't that bad either.

If repair costs don't scare you too much, I drive an '11 BMW 335d, and while smaller for a sedan, I can carry 4 people comforably. It gets 40 mpg on the highway if I am reasonable, and if I put the hammer into it, I still get better than 30 mpg, and it will surprise most other cars out there. It hasn't needed much for repairs yet, but since it is a BMW, when it does break, it won't be cheap to fix. (I have owned it for 7 years and 60k miles). For a bit newer, the 535D would be a better option, and bigger too, but not quite as sporty handling.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1