Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm thinking of starting to reload again. In the past(10years ago) I used to reload 9mm and .40S&W using a Lee progressive machine. I have since sold everything I had and need to buy new equipment. What do you guys use or suggest and how much did you pay for everything needed?

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
If you go the 550 route, you are looking at $800 +/- when you are done with the setup, including caliper, primer tube, flip tray, cleaner, press, etc, etc, etc.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
In all honesty, you can get started cheaper than buying a Dillon press but when you factor in the customer service, lifetime warranty and quality of ammo that it produces, why sped money on a cheaper press to only later wish that you would have bought the Dillon. Sure, I have a Lee scale, I just ordered frankford Arsenal tumbler, etc.. but for my press, I go Dillon all the way. I do have a Lee single stage that I use for the limited amount of rifle and .44 ammo that I load but I do regret buying the Dillon so late in life.

Oldschool is probably close to the right price for everything you will need and it will definately take some time to recoup your investment but if you shoot alot or want to taylor your loads, its invaluable.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I know there are advantages beyond financial for loading rifle rounds (and probably for handgun ammo too). But if you are only focused on it being more cost effective for those that shoot a lot, has anyone analyzed what the breakeven point is for loading your own?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Pistol only square deal b 300 ebay scale 30 tumbler 60 seprater 35 powder primer cases bullets 100=550-600 All my equitment is dillon except for cailper already had those also price per round calculator here
http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
For fourty cal 2.19/100 primers ,16.99/1# tite group Wich I used 4 grains I use 3 for minor 5 for major,250 berrys plate are 17.00
.0976/round+4.78/50 or 95 per 1000

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If you're a USPSA member, check out their classifieds, if not try Brian Enos' forum classifieds (brianenos.com/forums). Routinely you can get a press from there cheaper than new.

With Dillon's no bullshit warranty, call them up, tell them you bought it used, if there are some minor pieces missing, its likely they'll replace them as "warranty". If you're unsure about something, the guys in the technical sales department knows about all there is to know about the press.

1-800-223-4570

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want to go with single stage equipment , you can get started cheap, rcbs supreme $107, scale most brands $ 50 to 60 , dies 30ish, powder measure from $25 Lee 0n up $140 Redding, go to www.midway.com

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have never really seen what makes a dillon worth 3 times the start up cost of the lee pro 1000 (progressive).

Everyone says "it produces such quality ammo" But I have the .45acp version of the Lee and as long as I do my part the resultant ammo is fine.

I picked up my press at cabelas for $118.99 a cabelas brand tumbler for 44.99 and a dial caliper for 19.99 Besides a reloading manual (the lee does come with a hogdon one) and supplies, that's all you need.

The lee is the cheap end of progressive, FWIW I haven't had an issue yet. Like I said, as long as I do my part, the press does it's.

My purpose for reloading is saving money... I shoot target and IDPA. I'll still buy my defense rounds...

I can reload my .45s for about half the cost of them new.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
wow. That is a great price. How many rounds do you think you can crank out in an hour?

By "doing my part". What exactly do you mean. I'm not afraid of a tool that isn't top of the line.

I can afford that press WAY before I could afford a dillon. I have a caliper and a rock chucker RCBS setup with scales etc already that my dad will give me to use. So all I'd reall need is a tumbler, press and dies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Midwayusa has them for the same price if you don't have a local cabelas retail store. I avoided shipping by doing so.

You buy the Lee for whatever caliber and it comes with everything for that (dies included)

I haven't really gone "top speed" with the lee, but I can tell you that to empty the brass carrier goes pretty fast, (about 80 rounds) It's plenty fast for me.

You can add a bullet feeder to speed it up even more, But I haven't. And you can change calibers but right now I'm only loading .45acp

By doing my part I mean that I make sure that I'm seating primers fully, watching both the primer feed and the powder resevoir, I occasionally check a case for load ( I did this a lot while starting) prior to starting the bullet, and when I get a bind, I carefully inspect everything to determine the cause (usually a case isn't lined up properly with the decapping die, and just takes an extra nudge) Also it is VERY important that you NEVER short stroke the press, this can cause double charges, incomplete priming, and incomplete resizing as well as bad OAL's.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts